Apr 23, 2013, 7:31 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Ross Detwiler faces Adam Wainwright tonight at Nationals Park.
The Nationals could certainly use a win tonight, if for nothing else than to keep themselves from continuing a slow, downward spiral, not to mention seeing their record fall to the .500 mark. The good news: They've got their most effective pitcher (to date this season) on the mound in Ross Detwiler.
Detwiler has been nothing short of fantastic through his first three starts of the year, posting a miniscule 0.90 ERA while pounding the strike zone with almost nothing but fastballs. It's been an effective formula for the lefty, who really has blossomed since late last season, perhaps his biggest start coming against the Cardinals in Game 4 of the NLDS.
The man who started Game 5 of that series for St. Louis, Adam Wainwright, is also on the mound tonight. Though the veteran right-hander has been strong so far in 2013, the Nationals have had considerable success against him. In four head-to-head encounters in 2012, the Nationals twice pounded Wainwright for six runs and knocked him out early.
Updates to come, so please check back…
ST. LOUIS CARDINALS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv, MLB Network (outside D.C. market)
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 89
Weather: Clear, 62 degrees, Wind 5 mph in from CF
CF Denard Span
RF Jayson Werth
LF Bryce Harper
1B Adam LaRoche
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Injury updates on Gio Gonzalez, Doug Fister & Scott Hairston
- Nationals host Padres in first of four-game series
- MLB Power Rankings: Rangers moving up the ladder
- Deconstructing the Nationals' game-winning rally
- Gio Gonzalez pulled from Nats' win with left shoulder tightness
- LaRoche's walk-off hit saves Nationals from sweep vs. Angels
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston
- Baseball in the District: Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 talks Nats
- Gio, Nationals try to avoid getting swept by Angels