Apr 23, 2013, 1:48 AM EDT
Denard Span can't quite haul in Allen Craig's third-inning drive to the wall.
Game in a nutshell: The Cardinals were in town for the first time since Game 5 of the 2012 NLDS forever became a part of both D.C. and St. Louis sports lore, but the Nationals were less concerned with exorcising those demons and more concerned with playing a good game of baseball and getting themselves back on track after a ragged weekend in New York. They did play much cleaner, but they just couldn't get much going offensively against Cardinals rookie Shelby Miller. Ian Desmond and Anthony Rendon's back-to-back RBI doubles in the fourth produced their only two runs off Miller, who pitched well into the seventh. (Rendon notched both his first career hit and first career RBI there.) Dan Haren, meanwhile, once again couldn't record an out in the sixth. The veteran right-hander did show some improvement, but he faded late, and that left the Nationals in a hole. They couldn't claw their way out of it, stranding the tying runner in scoring position in both the seventh and eighth innings. Drew Storen managed to pitch a scoreless ninth against the Cardinals, but it didn't matter this time because his teammates couldn't push across the necessary tying run.
Hitting lowlight: The Nationals had some chances, especially late, but simply couldn't produce a clutch hit when they needed it. TheyRead more »
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Strasburg, Fernandez face off as Marlins host Nats
- Nats owner Mark Lerner on the Wizards’ broadcast (VIDEO)
- Braves fear both Medlen and Beachy need Tommy John
- Nats' Jordan takes on fearsome Tigers lineup
- Mets Wheeler admits it's hard not to think about 2015
- The Baseball Show: How good will Bryce Harper be in 2014?
- Podcast: Baseball in The District - Sammy Solis talks spring
- Harper, Detwiler lead Nationals against Mets
- Purke, Taylor among latest round of Nats cuts
- Has Jimmy Rollins been benched in Philly?