Apr 23, 2013, 1:48 AM EDT
Denard Span can't quite haul in Allen Craig's third-inning drive to the wall.
Game in a nutshell: The Cardinals were in town for the first time since Game 5 of the 2012 NLDS forever became a part of both D.C. and St. Louis sports lore, but the Nationals were less concerned with exorcising those demons and more concerned with playing a good game of baseball and getting themselves back on track after a ragged weekend in New York. They did play much cleaner, but they just couldn't get much going offensively against Cardinals rookie Shelby Miller. Ian Desmond and Anthony Rendon's back-to-back RBI doubles in the fourth produced their only two runs off Miller, who pitched well into the seventh. (Rendon notched both his first career hit and first career RBI there.) Dan Haren, meanwhile, once again couldn't record an out in the sixth. The veteran right-hander did show some improvement, but he faded late, and that left the Nationals in a hole. They couldn't claw their way out of it, stranding the tying runner in scoring position in both the seventh and eighth innings. Drew Storen managed to pitch a scoreless ninth against the Cardinals, but it didn't matter this time because his teammates couldn't push across the necessary tying run.
Hitting lowlight: The Nationals had some chances, especially late, but simply couldn't produce a clutch hit when they needed it. TheyRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Nats interviewed former All-Star for manager position
- Nationals roster review: Michael Taylor
- Trio of Nats coaches will remain in organization
- MLB Playoffs continue with 4 Division Series games
- Roster review: Bryce Harper
- Important offseason dates to consider for the Nationals
- Ripken on Nats manager job: 'I'd answer the phone'
- Both ALDS shift to Texas for Game 3s
- Both NL Division Series continue with Saturday doubleheader
- Phillies could hire MLB's first female general manager