Apr 23, 2013, 1:48 AM EDT
Denard Span can't quite haul in Allen Craig's third-inning drive to the wall.
Game in a nutshell: The Cardinals were in town for the first time since Game 5 of the 2012 NLDS forever became a part of both D.C. and St. Louis sports lore, but the Nationals were less concerned with exorcising those demons and more concerned with playing a good game of baseball and getting themselves back on track after a ragged weekend in New York. They did play much cleaner, but they just couldn't get much going offensively against Cardinals rookie Shelby Miller. Ian Desmond and Anthony Rendon's back-to-back RBI doubles in the fourth produced their only two runs off Miller, who pitched well into the seventh. (Rendon notched both his first career hit and first career RBI there.) Dan Haren, meanwhile, once again couldn't record an out in the sixth. The veteran right-hander did show some improvement, but he faded late, and that left the Nationals in a hole. They couldn't claw their way out of it, stranding the tying runner in scoring position in both the seventh and eighth innings. Drew Storen managed to pitch a scoreless ninth against the Cardinals, but it didn't matter this time because his teammates couldn't push across the necessary tying run.
Hitting lowlight: The Nationals had some chances, especially late, but simply couldn't produce a clutch hit when they needed it. TheyRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmerman rejoining Nats, likely to play Saturday
- Fister seeks win No. 15 tonight in Miami
- His thumb healthy, Harper tearing it up at plate
- Gonzalez makes case for postseason start
- Bryce, Gio continue late-season surge in 6-2 win
- NL Playoff Outlook: What stars will give the Nationals trouble?
- LaRoche gets extra day off to rest ailing back
- MLB Power Rankings: Tigers righting the ship
- Michael Jenkins takes walkoff pie to the face (VIDEO)
- Nats move on to Miami with Gio starting in hometown