Apr 24, 2013, 10:45 PM EDT
The Nationals didn’t just win 98 games last year and reach the postseason for the first time in club history, they did so without putting themselves through any prolonged stretch of legitimate adversity.
That may have left everyone — uniformed personnel, fans and media alike — to assume the 2013 campaign would proceed with nary a bump in the road with a roster that didn’t appear to have any true flaws cruising along toward another division title and then October success.
Three weeks in, it’s already become obvious things won’t come as easily to the Nationals this season as they did last season. After a 4-2 loss to the Cardinals on Wednesday, their fourth straight, they suddenly find themselves in a wholly unfamiliar position: Below the .500 mark, with growing questions about their ability to score enough runs to win games.
“What we’re going through, it’s the first time this team has dealt with expectations, and there’s something to be said about that,” right fielder Jayson Werth said. “But we’ll adjust. The league has adjusted to us; we’ll adjust to the league. We’ll be fine. We’ve got too much talent.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmermann, Nats get huge test with King Felix out in Seattle
- Nats extend contract with Single-A Hagerstown
- The Baseball Show: Williams for Manager of the Year?
- MLB Power Rankings: L.A. Angels flying high
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League
- Baseball in the District - MLB radio's Casey Stern & Todd Dybas
- Reason to worry about Nats after 3-game sweep?
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats
- Phillies sweep red-hot Nationals