Apr 24, 2013, 1:49 AM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Ross Detwiler allowed two runs over six strong innings.
Game in a nutshell: Would this be the night the Nationals' offense finally got going again? Not with Adam Wainwright on the mound. The Cardinals right-hander was brilliant from the moment he took the mound, getting quick outs, keeping the Nats off base and nearly going the distance. (Edward Mujica recorded the final two outs for the save.) Ross Detwiler tried his best to keep pace but suffered a slight hiccup during a two-run fourth inning. That still should have been good enough, but it's not good enough when your lineup can't produce anything at the plate. After getting shut out by the Mets on Sunday and shut down by the Cards on Monday, the Nationals again couldn't push a run across. They only had a couple of decent opportunities and came up short each time, leading to another frustrating loss for a club that has now lost eight of 11 and has fallen to 10-10 on the young season.
Hitting lowlight: How much are the Nationals missing Ryan Zimmerman's presence in their lineup right now? A lot, especiallyRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Barrett seizing setup role but watching workload
- Janssen close to big step in rehab from shoulder tendinitis
- Anthony Rendon back in D.C. to see Nats doctors
- 'Baseball in the District' - Marlins' voice Glenn Geffner
- Surging Nats return home to face Marlins
- The Baseball Show: A turning point last week?
- State of the Nats: An impressive weekend in New York
- Fister pitches Nationals to 2nd straight 1-0 win over Mets
- Span returns to Nats lineup after missing several games
- Gonzalez' pitching leads Nats over Mets