Apr 24, 2013, 8:03 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Stephen Strasburg rebounded from a rough first inning to post a quality start.
Game in a nutshell: Losers of three straight and in a major offensive funk, the Nationals hoped the combination of Stephen Strasburg on the mound and a couple of new guys in the lineup (Tyler Moore, Jhonatan Solano) would get them back on track. It didn't. Strasburg gave up three runs in the top of the first, and though he recovered, it was too much of a hole for the Nationals' lineup to escape. Left-hander Jaime Garcia shut them down for 5 2/3 innings, then the Cardinals bullpen pitched its way out of several late jams, the Nats not exactly helping themselves with some of their approaches at the plate. Just like that, a team favored to win the World Series three weeks ago finds itself having lost nine of 12, with a sub-.500 record for the first time since the final day of the 2011 season. Not quite what anybody had in mind.
Hitting lowlight: It's pretty much all lowlights at the plate right now, but let's focus on the lowest of the lows from this game: The bottom of the seventh. With runners on the corners and one out,Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies
- LaRoche gets rare night off with tight back
- Gonzalez faces Hamels in showdown of southpaws
- Nats' Triple-A affiliate Syracuse raking in postseason awards
- A primer on postseason roster eligibility rules
- Around the NL East: Stanton making strong push for NL MVP
- Nationals can't pull off dramatic rally this time
- Nats' momentum stalls vs. Phillies in first game of long road trip
- Cabrera out of lineup, but not seriously injured