Apr 25, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Stephen Strasburg gave up three first-inning runs yesterday.
Somewhat lost yesterday amid the angst of another woeful offensive performance from the Nationals was Stephen Strasburg's outing, one that began with a thud but ended with a bang.
Strasburg was roughed up by the Cardinals in the top of the first inning, allowing three runs on three hits and a walk, and looking very much like he'd be in for a long afternoon on the mound. But the right-hander immediately righted his ship and wound up recording a quality start, not surrendering another run before he departed after seven strong innings.
The difference in Strasburg's results from the first inning vs. the rest of his start could be boiled down to one key stat: first-pitch strikes. He got ahead 0-1 to only three of the seven batters he faced in the top of the first; after that, he got ahead to 13 of theRead more »
NLDS: NATIONALS VS. GIANTS
SAT: Game 2 at Washington, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3 at San Francisco, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4 at San Francisco, TBA (FS1)*
THU: Game 5 at Washington, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals draw Giants in NLDS after Wild Card win
- Braves' hitting coach resigns after trying season
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs