Espinosa comes up big on 26th birthday

Apr 26, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT

Photo by USA Today
By Michael Huberman
CSNwashington.com
With his team struggling to score runs, and he himself mired in an offensive slump, Nationals’ second baseman Danny Espinosa broke out in a big way on his 26th birthday Thursday, going 2-for-4 with a home run, double, and two RBI in the Nationals’ 8-1 win over the Cincinnati Reds.
Manager Davey Johnson was certainly pleased with his second baseman’s birthday performance.
“I was really happy for Espi to see him swing the bat good, and I guess he has to have his birthday every day or something,” Johnson said.
The Nationals came into the game losers of four straight, and with his team badly needing a win, Espinosa was one of many Nationals who stood out offensively against Cincinnati.

1. Doc - Apr 26, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Atta boy, Danny!We're with you kid!P.S. Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!

2. A DC Wonk - Apr 26, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Slightly off topic — SI had a story about the game last night, and the angle was juxtaposing that with Rizzo's contract extension.Money quote:Gio Gonzalez, meanwhile, allowed just one hit and one run (on a Joey Votto solo shot) in eight innings, the 14th time in 37 starts with Washington that he’s allowed no more than one run. Rizzo traded four prospects to the A’s before last season to land Gonzalez, whom he immediately signed to an extension. Not every GM has the stomach to trade a bounty of prospects, especially for a player like Gonzalez who had only been a big leaguer for two seasons. All Gonzalez has done in the interim is be named an All-Star last year and finish third in the NL Cy Young voting.Wow — I had no idea: the 14th time in 37 starts with Washington that he’s allowed no more than one run.

3. EmDash - Apr 26, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Sounds like an interesting article, DC Wonk, but Google isn't turning it up for me – do you have a link?

4. Eric - Apr 26, 2013 at 3:20 PM

"Certainly, I’ve not been down on him. He’s played outstanding defense. …"Indeed. Glad Davey recognizes both sides of being a baseball player, even if 3/4 of Nats fans seem hyper-focused on offense…

5. JD - Apr 26, 2013 at 3:27 PM

JMO but I think that Rendon will be better served returning to Harrisburg, playing every day, working on stuff without the pressure cooker that is major league baseball.I think Lombo can man 3rd base for another week and we can use another power bat off the bench (Owings?). I think that when Ramos returns Solano goes back to Syracuse. I think he needs to show that he can produce enough offense to merit a full time job next year which should open up as Suzuki gets his next gig elsewhere.

6. IKN8wxU2 - Apr 26, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Not only is Danny great on defense, but he's better on offense than Lombardozzi, at least based on career stats. The last two games, Danny's hit the ball on the nose quite a few times. Wednesday, he had nothing to show for it, but last night his luck turned around.

7. A DC Wonk - Apr 26, 2013 at 3:30 PM

8. hiramhover - Apr 26, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Glad to see Danny get the dinger for his b'day. His Ks are actually done so far this season (yes, small sample size, yada yada)–15% so far this season, vs. 26% career. And he's getting killed on BABIP–.180 this season, vs. .300 career. The first will probably get worst, the second will surely get better. Danny will be fine.

9. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 26, 2013 at 5:21 PM

JD said… JMO but I think that Rendon will be better served returning to Harrisburg, playing every day, working on stuff without the pressure cooker that is major league baseball.Agreed, my thoughts exactly. A couple days observing is fine but this kid needs to be playing every day be it in Washington or back in AA.

10. 3on2out - Apr 26, 2013 at 5:37 PM

This whirling dervish of comments moves on from topic to topic and from post to post but I would be remiss not giving a shout out to John C's most recent:"In Peric's defense (phrases I never thought I'd type for $100, Alex)"Funny!

11. peric - Apr 26, 2013 at 6:11 PM

JMO but I think that Rendon will be better served returning to Harrisburg, playing every day, working on stuff without the pressure cooker that is major league baseball.As Rizzo said: he has to be playing everyday somewhere. If its in the majors he is in the lineup at third base everyday. If its the minors at this point don't be surprised if he ends up in Syracuse as opposed to Harrisburg with the FO reassigning either Costanzo or Rivero to Harrisburg.

12. peric - Apr 26, 2013 at 6:13 PM

a shout out to John C's most recent:"In Peric's defense (phrases I never thought I'd type for $100, Alex)"Yeah its a real shame I am often right about a lot of stuff isn't it?

13. peric - Apr 26, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Espinosa isn't going anywhere as I've often stated time-and-time again. My only concern when it comes to him remains his injury to his rotator cuff.

14. peric - Apr 26, 2013 at 6:16 PM

And Patrick? I never worried about Henry. Not sure why everyone else here had to? Especially given the number of meltdowns both Clippard and Storen have had and especially Storen.