Apr 26, 2013, 7:31 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jordan Zimmermann tries to lead the Nats to a second straight win over the Reds.
Both Davey Johnson and Mike Rizzo have said — and re-iterated yesterday — that Anthony Rendon needs to play every day, whether in the big leagues or the minor leagues. Well, after last night's new-look lineup produced eight runs, Davey Johnson wasn't about to make another change.
So Steve Lombardozzi stays at third base, and Danny Espinosa (who homered and doubled on his birthday) stays at second base. That leaves Rendon on the bench for the second straight night, not an ideal scenario for the top prospect.
Jordan Zimmermann gets the start, hoping to take a cue from Gio Gonzalez last night and attack this potent Cincinnati lineup, record some quick outs and pitch deep into the night. He'll be opposed by fellow right-hander Homer Bailey, who shut out the Nationals over six innings three weeks ago.
Updates to come…
CINCINNATI REDS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 185
Weather: Partly cloudy, 63 degrees, Wind 6 mph in from LF
CF Denard Span
3B Steve Lombardozzi
LF Bryce Harper
RF Jayson Werth
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Robinson's seventh-inning homer good enough for 2-1 win
- Gonzalez heads to the mound to start series vs. Giants
- Williams got Division Series out of mind quickly
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats, Astros making a push
- Wacky way for Scherzer to take another loss
- Scherzer goes distance, but controversial call hands Nats loss
- Scherzer looks to keep historic run going
- Warning: Harper's Body Issue cover will make you blush
- Nats sign 1st significant Latin prospect in years
- Around the NL East: Phillies hire MacPhail to help rebuild effort