Apr 26, 2013, 9:34 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Anthony Rendon is on the Nats’ bench for the second straight night.
The Nationals promoted Anthony Rendon from Class AA Harrisburg last weekend, insisting the organization’s top prospect would play every day at third base while Ryan Zimmerman recovered from a hamstring strain.
But with Rendon off to a slow start in D.C., and with Davey Johnson’s reconfigured lineup producing eight runs Thursday night in an 8-1 victory over the Reds, the 22-year-old finds himself back on the bench tonight.
“I’m going at it day-by-day, and I don’t like to change a winner,” Johnson said this afternoon. “Nothing against Anthony Rendon. He’s a heck of a player, and he’s going to have a great career. But we’re in the here and now, and I’m worried about 25 guys. … That outweighs the need to play a youngster.”
Rendon has only two hits in 15 big-league at-bats so far, striking out five times. He’s also been charged with two errors at third base. Steve Lombardozzi didn’t directly contribute to Thursday night’s win, going 0-for-5, but the utilityman seemed a better fit as the Nationals’ No. 2 hitter with Jayson Werth dropped to the cleanup spot to provide protection for Bryce Harper.
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Rockies, 8:40 p.m.
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants
- Nats fan sports 'Curly W' beard (PHOTO)