Apr 26, 2013, 9:34 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Anthony Rendon is on the Nats’ bench for the second straight night.
The Nationals promoted Anthony Rendon from Class AA Harrisburg last weekend, insisting the organization’s top prospect would play every day at third base while Ryan Zimmerman recovered from a hamstring strain.
But with Rendon off to a slow start in D.C., and with Davey Johnson’s reconfigured lineup producing eight runs Thursday night in an 8-1 victory over the Reds, the 22-year-old finds himself back on the bench tonight.
“I’m going at it day-by-day, and I don’t like to change a winner,” Johnson said this afternoon. “Nothing against Anthony Rendon. He’s a heck of a player, and he’s going to have a great career. But we’re in the here and now, and I’m worried about 25 guys. … That outweighs the need to play a youngster.”
Rendon has only two hits in 15 big-league at-bats so far, striking out five times. He’s also been charged with two errors at third base. Steve Lombardozzi didn’t directly contribute to Thursday night’s win, going 0-for-5, but the utilityman seemed a better fit as the Nationals’ No. 2 hitter with Jayson Werth dropped to the cleanup spot to provide protection for Bryce Harper.
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m. TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Depleted Nationals lineup shut out by Marlins
- Nationals can't fight back against Marlins, lose 3-0
- Werth out but says ankle sprain isn't serious
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start
- Around the NL East: Which team will make a big splash via trade?
- After meltdown, Nationals must bounce back
- Werth hopes to play Tuesday after spraining ankle
- Nationals surrender four runs in 9th, fall 7-6 to Marlins
- Span proving skeptics wrong with summer surge