Apr 27, 2013, 3:50 AM EDT
Jordan Zimmermann acknowledges the crowd after his shutout victory.
Ignore, for a moment, the Nationals’ offensive issues, which made a return appearance Friday night in scratching out all of one run on six hits against the Reds. Forget, for now, about Adam LaRoche’s 0-for-18 slump at the plate and the injuries to Ryan Zimmerman and Wilson Ramos that have stripped Davey Johnson’s lineup of two potent bats.
Sure, the Nationals still have some question marks four weeks into the season, questions that may or may resolve themselves in the days and weeks to come. On this night, don’t spent a moment fretting about any of that and just sit back and appreciate back-to-back pitching performances not seen in these parts in nearly a century.
What Jordan Zimmermann did Friday deserves attention all unto itself. With a Clemens-like arsenal and Maddux-like efficiency, he 1-hit a very good Cincinnati lineup, going the distance on only 91 pitches, a masterful outing that proved entirely necessary for the Nationals to pull off a 1-0 victory on South Capitol Street.
“Since I’ve been here, that’s the best-pitched game I’ve seen,” manager Davey Johnson proclaimed.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return
- Span tabs Nats teammate & rival to do ice bucket challenge
- Williams debates keeping streak alive or long term health
- VIDEO: Bryce Harper's hair is on fire and he plays the ukulele
- Asdrubal Cabrera fitting in with Nats in first few weeks since trade
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett will 'probably' retire after this season