Game 24: Nats vs. Reds

Apr 27, 2013, 2:29 PM EDT

Photo by USA Today

The Nats are coming off back-to-back one-hitters against the third highest scoring offense in the majors. Today they send Dan Haren (1-3, 7.36 ERA) to the hill who made his Nationals debut against the very same Reds earlier this season, allowing six earned runs in four innings out in Cincinnati.

Back in Washington's lineup is Anthony Rendon who will play third base and bat seventh. Danny Espinosa is hitting second as Steve Lombardozzi gets a rest. Everything else is pretty much as expected.

The Reds will pitch Mike Leake (1-0, 3.81 ERA), a former 8th overall pick. Leake has faced the Nationals seven different times in his young career, allowing 23 earned runs in 39 1/3 innings (a 5.26 ERA. After seeing their offense take a step back last night, maybe the Nats can get things going again against a guy they have been able to bat around in the past.

Updates to come…

CINCINNATI REDS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:05 p.m. EDT
TV: FOX, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM)
Weather: Sunny, 72 degrees, Wind 6 mph in from LF

CF Denard Span
2B Danny Espinosa
LF Bryce Harper
RF Jayson Werth

1. JaneB - Apr 27, 2013 at 2:31 PM

I hope Rendon steps into himself today, and that a Birthday Week halo accrues to Danny's hitting.

2. JaneB - Apr 27, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Oh! GYFNG!

3. BigCat - Apr 27, 2013 at 2:39 PM

4. natsfan1a - Apr 27, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Go, Dan. Go, NATS!! Keep on truckin'!

5. Mac Guire - Apr 27, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Scott Margenau said… I like Julie, she seems very affable and speaks well. Def super cute too. HmmmmJulie might be the real one who turned this team around. Since she joined, they started playing like winners. At any rate, I hope she gets her third straight Gatorade shower today.What's the deal with Espinosa at #2 hole?

6. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 27, 2013 at 2:46 PM

The Fox said… Not sure I like making Suzuki catch a day game after a night game. Davey's not showing too much confidence in Solano. Yes it would be nice to sweep the Reds but overusing Suzuki could come back to haunt them. April 27, 2013 10:31 AM I have to agree with you. His BA has nose-dived. He's not the type to complain but that is too much work. He should sit today and play tomorrow and Ramos takes over on Monday.This is exactly what Davey did to Jesus Flores last year and that over-use may have ruined his season.

7. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 27, 2013 at 2:51 PM

The Crystal ball I hope is Wrong. Reds 4 Nats 2

8. Drew - Apr 27, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Why not hit Suzuki second? He has a very good .368 on base percentage.

9. NatsLady - Apr 27, 2013 at 3:00 PM

That was my feeling, too. Play Solano today and save Suzuki for tomorrow. But what do I know? Maybe he wants to give Haren the best chance.

10. NatsLady - Apr 27, 2013 at 3:01 PM

When is Ramos due back? Suzuke hopefully won't be overused at that point.

11. Rich P. - Apr 27, 2013 at 3:02 PM

The game is on Fox. No chance of a Gatorade shower today.

12. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 27, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Drew, much of Suzuki's .368 OBP are due to his pitch arounds to get to the pitcher. His BA is on a nose-dive. He was batting .368 a week and a 1/2 ago and today is .239. Like we saw with Lombo the past 2 games, they aren't pitching around you when you are batting in front of Bryce Harper.

13. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 27, 2013 at 3:04 PM

NatsLady, Ramos is back on Monday if all goes well!Gonat said he put in 4 innings yesterday in AA and goes again today. Presumably rests tomorrow.

14. BigCat - Apr 27, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Manassas….I saw Ken Beatrice at 7-11 and he said he liked the Nats today by a whisker. He said that most games are lost rather than won and that the Nats are shoring up their defense now. He also said that his "sources" say that Rendon is only 165 lbs with rocks in his pockets."HELLO!!!….YOU'RE NEXT!!!!!!!!!"

15. BigCat - Apr 27, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Also Manassas…..I don't eat the curly fries, they tell me they're good.

16. peric - Apr 27, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Yep, Rendon back in the kitchen today. Peric will be happy. Like to see him get a couple line drives today.Its not about me wanting Rendon to replace someone (albeit I think we all know he'll be at third base soon enough) its more about the fact the guy is the franchise's top prospect … not just the top prospect but the TOP hitting prospect. As Rizzo himself said he needs to play every day somewhere. If not in the majors probably in AAA Syracuse. And the same is true for Tyler Moore. He too is a top hitting prospect as is Brian Goodwin. They need to play everyday.Forcing LaRoche into the lineup with his back is Riggleman-itiis. Respect the veterans, respect the game. Forcing Zim to come back before he is ready is Giggleman. Again, Davey sold himself as the manager that go the Mets to the world series by reaching down into the minors, plucking top prospects and putting them into the lineup. Well? Davey stuck with Harper, Espinosa et al during their slumps and periods of adjustment. I see no reason not to do the same with Anthony Rendon and Tyler Moore. Both Rizzo and Johnson admit they erred. Moving Werth out of the leadoff spot has just added another ineffective veteran hitter to a lineup that already has Adam LaRoche on a steep decline at age 33 due to his back. He looks even more pathetic than Pudge. Rizzo broke what wasn't broken and didn't need to be fixed. Johnson is favoring LaRoche over a top prospect! Over what is best for the team! Zimmerman's bat is the one they truly need not LaRoche's and it's more likely to stay healthy at first base! LaRoche should never have been signed. And Werth looks more and more like an expensive 4th outfielder to me who is definitely blocking this franchise's top prospects! The Nats can't draft and overslot to fill the coffers with top prospects anymore. There's a draft cap now. Its going to be extremely hard to replace what they have now in the way of prospects for that reason. So, it behooves the franchise to leverage the great prospects Rizzo, Clark, et al have put into the system. And playing LaRoche and Werth blocks and impedes tha process. Again, that was the only real reason I could see letting Michael Morse go … so that Tyler Moore would get a chance to show if he was capable of the same things.

17. Joe Seamhead - Apr 27, 2013 at 3:15 PM

I trust Davey. Now that doesn't mean that I don't question his logic sometimes. Today, I wonder about ALR starting, but also understand that it is questionable strategy to make too many changes to a line up that just started winning after a losing spell. I also kind of get moving Danny up with Anthony in the lineup, but I being a guy that knows nothing, would have reversred them and let Rendon bat 2nd. As to Suzuki, I don't think there's an issue there. Unlike Jesus Flores, Kurk is in superb condition. He'll get a break when Ramos comes back next week. I really think Haren is struggling enough without having to deal with a pretty green batterymate. I think that the Espy, Anthony, ALR thing is typical Davey, not just playing hunches, but trying to instill self-confidence in his guys. GYFNG!!!

18. peric - Apr 27, 2013 at 3:17 PM

NatsLady, Ramos is back on Monday if all goes well!As Kilgore and Wagner reported. They want him for the four game set against Atlanta. And that makes a lot of sense. It'll be interesting to see if he gets to catch all four games or if he is introduced slowly again.

19. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 27, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Big Cat, if you're serious, that's awesome as Ken Beatrice is an original. He disappeared. Back in the day when all we had of sports was the AM radio, wow. Too cool.Of course now you have those who I think have ripped him off like EB of the Junkies. He might as well just say to the callers YOU'RE NEXT instead of WHAAAT'S UP.

20. peric - Apr 27, 2013 at 3:22 PM

P.S. Denard Span has 8 RBIs, two fewer than Michael Morse.Morse also has a fractured finger … once that heals sufficiently the gap will indeed widen significant.The real comparison is between the pathetic Adam LaRoche and Morse.

21. peric - Apr 27, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Of course now you have those who I think have ripped him off like EB of the Junkies. The Junkies are an invention of Don Geronimo and Mike O'Meara. Everything they do is copied (as advised by Don) nothing is original everything is pretty stupid.

22. EmDash - Apr 27, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Having a guy who strikes out a lot hitting second feels like a mistake to me, but I guess we'll see. Maybe Davey figures he'll get better pitches to hit in front of Harper?People with high OPS vs. Leake are, in order from highest to lowest, Bernadina, LaRoche, Werth, Harper, Espinosa, Desmond, Tracy. Lombo, Tyler Moore, Rendon and Solano have never faced him. I'd imagine LaRoche's track record of success against the guy is why he's in the line-up today.

23. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 27, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Joe Seamhead said… I trust Davey. Now that doesn't mean that I don't question his logic sometimes. Today, I wonder about ALR starting, but also understand that it is questionable strategy to make too many changes to a line up that just started winning after a losing spell.It's fool's gold. Every day you are changing your lineup as the starter pitchers change. The lack of offense is still a problem and would have killed the team yesterday if JZim wasn't near perfection.Davey made the right call with Espi on Thursday given his history against Arroyo but conversely LaRoche had a sizeable sample size against Arroyo and was batting .071 against him before his 0-fer on Thursday.These struggling players are all due to breakout but I fear LaRoche is the post-season version of Espinosa who revealed afterwards he was badly injured but instead of coming forward hurt his team. Davey in this case has to step up as the bad man and force the issue. TyMo is a capable replacement player even against the RHP.

24. peric - Apr 27, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I'd imagine LaRoche's track record of success against the guy is why he's in the line-up today.But, if he continues to be pathetic they had better put him on the DL and let him rest that back. And if he loses his job to one of the right handed hitters so be it. Davey will just have to live with it.

25. EmDash - Apr 27, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Peric, I know you disagree, but everything about how they've handled Rendon – resigning LaRoche, not playing Rendon everyday during this call-up – suggests that they don't think he's ready for the majors. And nothing Rizzo's said or done indicates he disagrees with Davey on that. If LaRoche is still struggling in, say, mid-May, I imagine their strategy will change. But assuming LaRoche is healthy and just in a slump, I don't think letting Rendon have an extra year of minor league development is the wrong call, personally.

26. peric - Apr 27, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Davey in this case has to step up as the bad man and force the issue.He isn't going to do it Ghost. LaRoche was his idea over Morse. And right now he looks pretty stupid which I'm sure he hates. LaRoche and his back were a problem last season as well. He probably had the break out year because he got to rest it for about a year. Now he is getting older and its getting worse.

27. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 27, 2013 at 3:32 PM

EmDash, thanks for pointing out the OPS history against Leake. I hope this is the good LaRoche.

28. peric - Apr 27, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Resigning LaRoche, not playing Rendon everyday during this call-up – suggests that they don't think he's ready for the majors. I don't think letting Rendon have an extra year of minor league development is the wrong call, personally.I agree and if Davey wasn't going to play Rendon every day they should have promoted him to Syracuse instead. And they should option Tyler Moore to Syracuse and recall Marerro. The guy just got banged in the kneed with a ground ball he already has 4 errors. He's a bench bat. Tyler Moore isn't. Harper wasn't ready for the majors when they called him up. He struggled mightily … but eventually he adapted and adjusted with the help of the mentoring on hand. According to scouts Rendon is the more refined hitter.Last season I remember most of you calling for Harper to be returned to the minors because he wasn't ready. I figured Davey would work with him until he was. All I'm saying is he should do the same with Rendon and admit he is wrong about LaRoche because this isn't a slump. He looks just like he did when he had the shoulder issue that required surgery in 2011. Pathetic. He can't even reach for balls at first base. And Werth batting fourth? That's a joke.

29. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 27, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Peric, LaRoche has TWENTY FIVE strikeouts in the 19 games he has started. It doesn't take a genius to see that he is injured.As stats go, he is due for 1 hit today and maybe 2 or 3 since he's on a 0-18 slump. In games where LaRoche has a RBI this year, the Nats have won all those games.Let's hope he wakes up feeling great and lights Leake up.

30. Joe Seamhead - Apr 27, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Seems in his 2nd game batting clean up Werth drove in the run that won the game.That was a result of a Davey hunch that seemed to work out OK. Not to mention, though I'm sure he'll have some errors in RF, Jayson has played a fine RF so far this year.

31. EmDash - Apr 27, 2013 at 3:49 PM

That's fair, and LaRoche will probably be given until about mid-May to show he's not a liability or be placed on the DL. My personal cut-off for evaluation will be the Pittsburgh series – if he can't pull himself together and hit well against a team he seems to dislike so much, it will probably be time to rest him or DL him. He just seems to me like his timing is way off rather than that he's injured, but I'd agree that if he is he should come clean about it and rest.

32. Rich P. - Apr 27, 2013 at 4:03 PM

"It's fool's gold. Every day you are changing your lineup as the starter pitchers change."It's called platooning, and it's worked successfully for many managers, e.g. Davey with the Mets, Earl Weaver in Baltimore, etc. I think those guys know what they're doing.

33. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 27, 2013 at 4:08 PM

EmDash, you are too nice. This isn't a slump. It's a matter of health. If it is merely a slump then so be it.I subscribe to the Bruce Bochy approach of your friends are the players who are performing for you.What he did to Zito in the 1st WS and then watching his ressurection last year was nothing short of amazing. 2 World Series in 3 years with their roster was amazing.The man sent All Star Tim Lincecum to the bullpen last year!In his 2 World Series he took retreads and started them and they make the X-factor as he got the most out of them at the right time and I'm referring to Ross and Scutaro. Heck, Bochy lost his best player (Melky) to the drug suspension.Bochy makes his own luck.

34. Joe Seamhead - Apr 27, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Ghost, I didn't look it up, but I seem to remember the Giants having an even better record after Melky got tossed. Bothy has had a helluva run, not to mention he is one of baseball's great characters right now. I bet he's great to have a beer, or two, with!

35. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 27, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Rich, baseball was different during Earl's run where you could have a Mark Belanger and a catcher who couldn't hit at all. Defense in those positions were much more important in that era.You also had a 2 team playoff system in those Orioles glory years.What would Earl do with Adam LaRoche? I just think instinct and watching him tells you he isn't right but if someone wants to say he is healthy that makes it worse as then there is no excuses and he is just plain stinking it up.

36. NatsLady - Apr 27, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Found this stat on another sute, Nice company JZ is keeping. the 26-year-old right-hander owns a 2.95 ERA since the start of 2011. Only Cliff Lee, Jered Weaver, Johnny Cueto, Justin Verlander, and Clayton Kershaw have a lower ERA (min. 300 IP) during the same timespan.

37. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 27, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I think the best 4 managers are Joe Maddon, Bochy, Davey and Bob Melvin.Maddon does more with so much less.

38. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 27, 2013 at 4:20 PM

NatsLady, that's rare company. Nice stat!

39. peric - Apr 27, 2013 at 4:21 PM

What would Earl do with Adam LaRoche? I just think instinct and watching him tells you he isn't right but if someone wants to say he is healthy that makes it worse as then there is no excuses and he is just plain stinking it up.LaRoche is an annoyance and a nuisance but Davey liked him and his left-handed bat. This guy has been having these problems for years Ghost. What's different now is that he is older and he's not going to bounce back as easily after he has compounded it over-and-over again. I am more worried about 28 year old Zim. I suppose I've tired y'all out by saying it over-and-over again BUT they NEED HIS BAT!!! Not LaRoche's so much. I'd like to see Moore in their instead of LaRoche but this is not as critical as Zim!!! If Zim comes back to early before he is ready … we're going to have hell to pay. And its not the hamstring, its the shoulder that should be of concern.

40. peric - Apr 27, 2013 at 4:28 PM

In Werth's defense he's almost got as many homers as he had all last year. His doubles total is low at just 2. His OBP is .312 … so we'll see maybe he has enough in him (sans injury) to be a decent #6 hitter if he isn't going to lead off (the perfect spot for him and his usually large OBP) … but I don't think he'll last the season and will slump out toward the end. He's pretty beat, up even if he is the work out warrior cubed. But so then too was Pudge.

41. Doc - Apr 27, 2013 at 4:32 PM

42. peric - Apr 27, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Too bad Skole is injured, he'd have some LHAB's to bring up to the Nats. He could play 3B and 1B.The TJ surgery has put Skole behind now. He's back to 2 years out and he isn't a young prospect. He may end up getting a taste of the majors at age 27.Right now its Rendon, Goodwin, and Moore (who should be in Syracuse playing every day). Followed by Kobernus and possibly Eury Perez. That's your top positional prospects.

43. Rich P. - Apr 27, 2013 at 4:39 PM

It figures that Ghost of Steve M would have a man crush on the weird wuss.

44. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 27, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Doc said… Davey definitely showing signs of Riggelitis by not playing TyMo.He should give back his side of beef to ALR, and give the kid a few opportunities at 1B. ALR isn't even hitting righties, let alone lefties!Too bad Skole is injured, he'd have some LHAB's to bring up to the Nats. He could play 3B and 1B. April 27, 2013 12:32 PM I could never figure Riggles out. He played Stairs but behind the scenes says he had to.I don't think Davey has to do anything he doesn't want to do. Don't play favorites play the best 8 out there. Davey has nobody he has to showcase. Have a closed door meeting with LaRoche and figure it out.

45. peric - Apr 27, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Maybe Davey keeps Tyler Moore around because he likes seeing the mini skirts in the stands.

46. NatsLady - Apr 27, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Words I never thought I'd read from peric… "In Werth's defense…"

47. peric - Apr 27, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Words I never thought I'd read from peric… "In Werth's defense…"C'mon Natslady we both know that Keith Law is right when he says they are paying for a top rung right-fielder but they don't have one. Even with the intangibles given what he has done he won't be worth 21 million at age 36. Its ridiculous to even think that. I realize a part of that is the injuries … still the no-trade clause I think added insult to injury.

48. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 27, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Rich P. said… It figures that Ghost of Steve M would have a man crush on the weird wuss. April 27, 2013 12:39 PM Feelwood, try to keep it classy. I have a lot of respect for Maddon, I'm not judging his clubhouse demeanor and wardrobe but his guys every year respond well to it. Nobody does more with less.

49. peric - Apr 27, 2013 at 4:51 PM

I'm not judging his clubhouse demeanor and wardrobe but his guys every year respond well to it. Nobody does more with less.No matter what they do to his roster to trim and cut costs he still finds a way to win and be in the running with whatever the GM ends up giving him. And they really haven't yet tapped into all of those draft picks and top prospects they traded for yet! I might be off but I liken him to Jack McKeon. He seems to have the same skill set.

50. NatsNut - Apr 27, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Hi Feelwood. Thought that was you.

51. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 27, 2013 at 4:57 PM

NatsNut said… Hi Feelwood. Thought that was you. April 27, 2013 12:54 PM He's so transparent. He ditched his name from 2 weeks ago as Mark deleted all that stupidity and is back as Rich P. I'm thinking it stands for Rich Pr!ck.

52. natsfan1a - Apr 27, 2013 at 4:59 PM

He is a weird wuss, though. ;-)I think the best 4 managers are Joe Maddon

53. natsfan1a - Apr 27, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Oops. I'd buy Rich P. a drink but I don't think he does the NIDO thing.

54. natsfan1a - Apr 27, 2013 at 5:01 PM

In my defense, Davey said it first. ;-)

55. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 27, 2013 at 5:06 PM

@ Big Cat last week when we ate at Arby's did you notice Ken Beatrice acted like he wanted me to offer him a curly fry.I niticed he took our report on school baseball players as he doesn't have the sources or resources to scout school ball. I thought we were his sources.Today Haren needs to attack.

56. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 27, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Looks like the sun monster could be a factor today.

57. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 27, 2013 at 5:11 PM

I was just reading on RedsInsider That ManassasRedsFan. wants to fire their batting coach.

58. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 27, 2013 at 5:11 PM

NatsLady, I wish I was there to watch in person. I'm very curious on if Span is playing deeper a few steps as the rule now and then moving back a few steps more against Votto.How nice was that on Votto. There in time to square up and make it look easy.

59. Drew - Apr 27, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Good deal. Two innings down, four to go.

60. NatsLady - Apr 27, 2013 at 5:30 PM

61. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 27, 2013 at 5:32 PM

go Ren-Con

62. peric - Apr 27, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Why would ALR swing on the first pitch? He needs to get back to the dugout. Not a good sign.He needs to go on the DL for about a month, perhaps two.

63. Exposremains - Apr 27, 2013 at 5:35 PM

64. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 5:36 PM

NatsLady said… Why would ALR swing on the first pitch? He needs to get back to the dugout. Not a good sign. April 27, 2013 1:30 PM ______________________________How's about the weak contact and reach for that pitch.

65. Drew - Apr 27, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Great at bat by Rendon.

66. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Detroits Peralta blasts a 2 run HR. Detroit 2 Atlanta 0

67. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Thanks FOX Sports, you owe me a drink!

68. Exposremains - Apr 27, 2013 at 5:38 PM

They mentioned how the Reds play the Cards and Nats a lot and forget to mentioned they played the Marlins and the Cubs. But the Nats only play easy teams Marlins and the White sox but forget to mentioned the Braves and Cards.

69. peric - Apr 27, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Rizzo and Davey are just going to have to 'splain to Ted that they blew it on LaRoche …

70. peric - Apr 27, 2013 at 5:41 PM

You know they could use JZimmn, Stras, or Haren to pinch hit for LaRoche. They might drive in some runs?

71. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 5:41 PM

72. peric - Apr 27, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Zuk no longer putting bat barrel on ball. What's the reason behind Zuk being used so much with a day game after a night game.Ramos will be back on Monday. Zim the following Friday.Solano and Rendon -> Syracuse. Hopefully Moore follows if Davey isn't going to bench and DL LaRoche.

73. Candide - Apr 27, 2013 at 5:43 PM

74. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Exposremains said… Can't believe we get this Brenneman Reds Homer yapping away on how the Reds have it so hard and the Nationals have it so easy. Thanks Fox! April 27, 2013 1:35 PM _________________________________Bingo! Brenemman the homie. Also, Mitch Williams on the FOX MLB pre-game said Ryan Zimmerman threw a 1 hit complete game shutout last night and nobody corrected him.

75. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Candide said… With Haren's hit, Nats now have only two batters in today's lineup under .200 – Espi and "Rincon" (Cunegonde was livid when they mispronounced his name). April 27, 2013 1:43 PM _________________________________Uh, you for LaRoche on your list.

76. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 27, 2013 at 5:46 PM

we took advantage of walks.Heron needs to have a shut down inning after we score

77. peric - Apr 27, 2013 at 5:47 PM

What do you expect? Its FOX? Drunks like McCarver in the booth?

78. Candide - Apr 27, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Ow. Yes, LaRoche, too.(…slinks back into corner…)

79. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Danny Danny Danny are you kidding me???? In a 2-0 count you help the pitcher by swinging at that?What a terrible approach.

80. peric - Apr 27, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Ow. Yes, LaRoche, too.Leads the team in strikeouts.

81. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 5:49 PM

The Nats had a chance there with Bryce on deck to load the bases and send Leake to an early exit.Bad.

82. peric - Apr 27, 2013 at 5:49 PM

What a terrible approach.Took the bat with runners on out of Harper's hands. Trying to prove he can be the hero … sigh …

83. Candide - Apr 27, 2013 at 5:51 PM

peric said… [LaRoche] Leads the team in strikeouts.I thought it was Stras, with Gio right behind… :-)

84. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 5:52 PM

What a splitter by Haren. Best he has thrown to K the pitcher!

85. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Porcello sucking it up for the Tigers. Now Atlanta 3 Detroit 2

86. Another_Sam - Apr 27, 2013 at 5:56 PM

BigCat – I get. It. Lol. I don't have the time or the resources to scout high school.

87. Drew - Apr 27, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Span's OPS is up to .717Old friend Michael Morse is down to .736.I understand that Michael's finger is nagging him, but I wonder whether his struggles, in part, and Adam Dunn's travails are signs of the BIGGDAW rule: Big Guys Don't Age Well.That's why I'm all for giving Bryce the $300 million deal when he's 25 or so. The tough call will be the next monster deal when he's in his early 30s and the historic milestones are on the horizon. Heresy caveat: I love the kid.

88. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Cozart made that way to close.

89. peric - Apr 27, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Here it comes GIDP.

90. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Huge spot for LaRoche

91. NatsLady - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:02 PM

OK, at least it wasn't a double play. ALR is in slow motion.

92. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Just bad, can't LaRoche bunt? Sheesh.0-20

93. peric - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:02 PM

94. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Desmond scores 2 there if LaRoche did his job.

95. peric - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:03 PM

I understand that Michael's finger is nagging him, but I wonder whether his struggles, in part, and Adam Dunn's travails are signs of the BIGGDAW rule: Big Guys Don't Age Well.Morse been plagued by injuries most of his career … that's one of the big rationales for letting him go. When he gets injured it usually affects his hitting. He'll come back from it. He won't fall into the hole that LaRoche and Dunn fell into.

96. NatsLady - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:03 PM

97. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:06 PM

NatsLady said… OK, at least it wasn't a double play. ALR is in slow motion. April 27, 2013 2:02 PM ____________________________It's the quality of his swings. Just weak contact.

98. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:06 PM

NatsLady said… No, he can't bunt, that would also risk a double play. Best to just hit in in the air or strike out. April 27, 2013 2:03 PM ______________________________Trust me, I was being facetious. LOL

99. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:13 PM

If Haren can control that splitter he will be close to unhittable. He buried 2 in the dirt. Very inconsistent but the one he threw to Leake was deadly.

100. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Ump misses that 3rd pitch to Votto. Perfect pitch. Votto gets a lot of calls.

101. Knoxville Nat - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:16 PM

"Can't believe we get this Brenneman Reds Homer yapping away on how the Reds have it so hard and the Nationals have it so easy. Thanks Fox!"Right now I wish I had them. Here in east TN we get stuck with the Braves and Tigers, regional television I suppose. Sure wish they allowed us to order the game of our choice.And by the way, if you think the Reds announcers are homers just try listening to the clowns who do the Braves games. Simply put they are awful!! I'll get way too much of them next week as MASN will be blacked out in this part of the country per DirectTV or MLB rules (I'm not sure who to blame).

102. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Ump missing that 3rd pitch changed Haren's approach. That's frutstrating.

103. Exposremains - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:18 PM

104. NatsLady - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:18 PM

OK, if it gets to 4-2, Haren needs to be out of there. Short leash, DAVEY!!!

105. Candide - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Whew… was afraid we were starting to see the Haren meltdown.

106. peric - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Here comes the key inning when Haren usually implodes.

107. NatsLady - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:19 PM

108. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Exposremains, it's a source of frustration. You could see it in Haren's body language. Perfect pitch. Instead of 1-2 he's pitching to him 2-2.

109. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Heron kept damages to a minimum .Now add on again Nats

110. peric - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:20 PM

There's a reason why Votto gets so many walks. he always gets borderline call go his wayAnd "Rincon" didn't because well he's just another rookie who isn't named Bryce Harper …

111. peric - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:21 PM

OK, Haren got out of it with only 1 run. But I still say short leash in the 5th inning, unless we score 8 runs. :)He's the innings eater, the guy who is supposed to get through five without too much trouble.

112. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Great point Peric. Ball above the strike zone was called a strike on Rincon.

113. peric - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Espinosa and Lombo can't seem to take a walk …

114. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Espinosa immediately back in "press" mode. Poor approach.

115. Exposremains - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Knoxville:Im in Florida, let just say I found a way to watch the game anyway. I'm sick of paying for a product and then get blacked out.

116. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Harper does it again!

117. Candide - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:26 PM

This kid Harper is pretty good, yes?

118. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Medlen getting lit up. 5 earned runs in the 4th.

119. peric - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Harper in the top 3 in OPS this season.

120. Drew - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:26 PM

724 from Henry Aaron.

121. Exposremains - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:27 PM

122. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:27 PM

LaRoche has to get Hitterish here. Everyone is hitting, even the pitcher!

123. peric - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Im in Florida, let just say I found a way to watch the game anyway. I'm sick of paying for a product and then get blacked out.Agreed. And especially for a network that thinks rape is the victim's fault.

124. peric - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:28 PM

LaRoche has to get Hitterish here. Everyone is hitting, even the pitcher!That was a little better at least …

125. Candide - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:28 PM

LaRoche's fly out traveled farther than his last dozen ABs combined.

126. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:28 PM

0-21 for LaRoche That at least was better on an ambush on a 1st pitch 2-seamer right down the middle.

127. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Ding Dong Harper

128. NatsLady - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Well, we have other inning eaters. Haren's job is to keep the bullpen sharp.

129. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Exposremains said… I think there's nothing more unfair in baseball than a different strike zone depending on how famous you are pitcher or batter. April 27, 2013 2:27 PM ________________________________Worked for Greg Maddux

130. Candide - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:31 PM

peric, do you really need to post garbage like that? Just when I'm thinking you're being reasonable… Like a clock that's right 23 hours a day and the 24th pours chocolate syrup all over itself and starts baying at the moon.

131. Knoxville Nat - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Peric:"Agreed. And especially for a network that thinks rape is the victim's fault." I don't follow you. What's this all about?

132. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:33 PM

NatsLady, last 2 starts its been the 6th inning. Big difference today is much better defense behind Haren.

133. Candide - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Heh – I used to make throws like that one from Espi all the time when I played softball.

134. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:35 PM

As I say that about the defense Danny makes a crazy throw. It won't show up as an error in the boxscore but make that play. Plant and throw.

135. Drew - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Great job Kurt! Way to hustle and save a base.

136. Candide - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Nice play by Rincon.

137. peric - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Looks like "Rincon" is useful for something.

138. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Instead of starting the 6th with the 9 hole, now Haren will get the leadoff.Danny made a great play to get to that ball but had enough time to plant and throw. Great back-up by Zuk BTW to save it from further damage.

139. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Rincon charges the ball very aggressively. I'm impressed.

140. peric - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:40 PM

peric, do you really need to post garbage like that? Just when I'm thinking you're being reasonable… Well you put up with that drunk McCarver … don't make excuses for FOX.

141. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Rendon with a hit and that leaves just 2 of the starting 9 without hits. LaRoche and Espinosa. I think Espinosa will get one.

142. Candide - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:43 PM

I earned Ds in both semesters of college Spanish, but I remembered that "rincon" was a Spanish word. Looked it up, and guess what? It means, "corner."So the guy at the Nats hot corner is Rincon Caliente.

143. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Who won the Presiden's race. Fox not as trustworthy as MASN there too.

144. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:50 PM

145. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Yep, that play by Danny sets up the leadoff.

146. NatsLady - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:52 PM

OK, thanks for the good work, Dan. See you next week.

147. Exposremains - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:53 PM

ok good job Haren, now get him out of there

148. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Come on Davey.

149. Exposremains - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:53 PM

please…now

150. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:53 PM

bullpen needs to be ready now

151. NatsLady - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:54 PM

I don't care about his psychology. I want to win this game.

152. Exposremains - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:54 PM

man, Votto gets all the calls

153. Exposremains - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:55 PM

6-4 coming up

154. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Gonat said… Biggest inning for Haren. I hope Davey has Staymen up and getting loose for the fun of it. April 27, 2013 2:50 PM ____________________________________Now he gets someone up. Should've been up before the inning started.

155. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I've seen enough. If Span isn't playing that deep, that's trouble.

156. Drew - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I hope Davey channels Sparky aka Captain Hook.Do not let Haren bite off more than he can Choo.SPAN!!

157. NatsLady - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:56 PM

There's your Web gem. NOW get HAREN OUT OF THERE.

158. Exposremains - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:57 PM

way too close.. get HIM out of there right now

159. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:57 PM

NatsLady said… I don't care about his psychology. I want to win this game. April 27, 2013 2:54 PM ______________________________Agreed, this has to be about the team. This guy is here for 2013 at the most.

160. peric - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:57 PM

I don't know this guy just can't get through five. Reminds me of the good old days of 2007-2010 when the Nats had no starter that could get through five unscathed.Bring up Rosenbaum.

161. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:58 PM

buckle up Heron

162. Exposremains - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:58 PM

163. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Exhale.

164. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 27, 2013 at 7:00 PM

double play. now score 2 more.

165. peric - Apr 27, 2013 at 7:01 PM

even if gets out of the 6th inning, i don't see how it builds his confidence the way he's throwing right now.Unfortunately, its just like emdash said about LaRoche nothing will change until the middle of May … and then we'll see I guess.

166. Exposremains - Apr 27, 2013 at 7:01 PM

remember how I said after the Cincy series that most the HRs the Reds hit were not HRs at Nats Park. I've seen in this series a lot of balls hit by Votto in particular that would have been HRs in Cincy

167. peric - Apr 27, 2013 at 7:01 PM

168. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Davey had Duke for Bruce on deck. I'm thinking Haren's day is over but who knows.Go 7-8-9 Davey and put it on ice.If the Nats win this game they guarantee a season series win against the Reds. It was mid-month when the Nats lost 2 of 3 that the Media was crowing the Reds were the top of the charts.

169. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 7:03 PM

peric said… Meanwhile, buckle up for some 2007-2010 Garret Mock style implosions with Haren. April 27, 2013 3:01 PM _____________________________Haren lost his control of his split and also wasn't getting those calls on his fastballs painted on the corners.

170. peric - Apr 27, 2013 at 7:05 PM

No doubles yet in this game. They need to be hitting more of those soon I think.

171. peric - Apr 27, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Haren lost his control of his split and also wasn't getting those calls on his fastballs painted on the corners.yeah kind of like JD Martin or better yet … Livo?

172. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Bryce Harper is just amazing. Took in the end a walk.

173. Dan Strong - Apr 27, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Now would be a good time for ALR to bust out of his slump.

174. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 7:12 PM

LaRoche, really? 0-22 and .143 Lucky it wasn't a doubleplay scenario.

175. Dan Strong - Apr 27, 2013 at 7:13 PM

ALR is just awful right now. There should be no reason not to give TyMo a shot.

176. slidell2 - Apr 27, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Wonder if the double steal was Davey's idea? Don't understand the logic.

177. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Still not sure what that double steal was all about with a lefty batting.Officially LaRoche has left 4 runners on base.

178. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Come on Danny. Open up the freaking door.

179. Dan Strong - Apr 27, 2013 at 7:17 PM

I was wondering when the daily error would occur.

180. Drew - Apr 27, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Come on Danny! Bear down.

181. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 27, 2013 at 7:18 PM

lackadazical (spelling) effort. Just play ball. Espi rarely hits . He cannot gives outs away.

182. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Dan, it doesn't have to be an error in the box score to be an error. That is 2 so far and only 1 was an E4.

183. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 7:20 PM

If you can't contribute on offense, you better be able to play your position.

184. Drew - Apr 27, 2013 at 7:21 PM

I'll send an SOS to the world.I'll send an SOS to the world.I hope that someone gets my …

185. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 27, 2013 at 7:21 PM

left on left match up seems way over played Duke walks lefty ss a righty could.

186. Joe Seamhead - Apr 27, 2013 at 7:21 PM

You all can't see the forest for the trees. There is a team out there playing an overall great game and and all you are doing is dwelling on one guy's struggles. Amongst other positives,Span had a great catch. Haren has pitched a helluva game. Harper hit a dinger. It's a team game and I don't know about your team, but mine is looking pretty good so far this whole series. Let's hope Duke can hold on to get us through for at least one inning. I guess Adam should have caught that crappy throw from Espy? I'm sure Tyler would have caught it. Or Ryan Zimmerman.I just hope Zack doesn't blow this. Dan Haren deserves a win.

187. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Joe Seamhead, that's the problem with guys letting down their team. Make these simple plays. Be honest with your manager when you are hurt. Don't stay out late when you have an early baseball game.Dan Haren did pitch well. He pitched well enough to win his last start.Span made a nice catch. As mentioned, he's playing deeper and not only would have caught that Votto ball at the Red Porch but actually caught that in the middle of the bullpen.It's part of what they say about making your own luck. Give these pitchers some good defense and they will win for you.Defense!

188. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 7:30 PM

And also, with his at-bats and in the field today, Danny Espinosa's head is somewhere else.

189. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 27, 2013 at 7:31 PM

another unearned run. Last I looked on Wednesday given up most unearned runs in the majors.Thanks Danny.

190. Dan Strong - Apr 27, 2013 at 7:33 PM

These walks and errors are getting real old.

191. Drew - Apr 27, 2013 at 7:33 PM

For God's Sake.Freebasing is illegal!

192. Exposremains - Apr 27, 2013 at 7:33 PM

please no bullpen implosion today. I'm not in the mood. Walks, errors. Come on

193. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 27, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Span saved Clip's ass.

194. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Yes, Span, playing deep and straight up! Not a problem. That had 3 RBI written all over it!!!

195. Exposremains - Apr 27, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Wow saved by span. Clippard, absolutely awful. that was a 3 run double.

196. Gonat - Apr 27, 2013 at 7:36 PM

The Choo walk wasn't bad to get up Cozart who is hitting .198 now.Clip got lucky but that's how it works as Span was perfectly positioned!

197. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 27, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Span 2 great defensive plays today.

198. NatsLady - Apr 27, 2013 at 7:38 PM

OK, Clipp doesn't have it today. Bring in someone else for the 8th.

199. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 27, 2013 at 7:38 PM