Apr 27, 2013, 1:13 AM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Jordan Zimmermann shut out the Reds in his second complete game of the season.
Game in a nutshell: Who needs offense when you can pitch like this? The Nationals fell back into their slumping ways at the plate, but it didn't matter with Jordan Zimmermann on the mound. The right-hander completely overwhelmed the Reds lineup, tossing a complete-game, 1-hit shutout in one of the most dominant performances of his life and in Nationals history. Bryce Harper and Jayson Werth combined to produce the only run of the night, with Harper tripling and Werth singling off Homer Bailey in the bottom of the fourth. Zimmermann took over from there, carving up the Cincinnati lineup on only 91 pitches. In the process, he notched the first shutout of his career and his second complete-game victory this month. Winners of two in a row after dropping four in a row, the Nationals (12-11) are back over .500.
Hitting highlight: The way Zimmermann was pitching, the Nationals didn't need much offense. Good thing, because theyRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Diamondbacks at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Instant analysis: Nationals 8, Diamondbacks 1
- Gonzalez on the Nats' rotation: 'I want to catch up' (VIDEO)
- Nats' McLouth to have shoulder surgery, out for season
- LaRoche, Desmond and Fister take on the ice bucket (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Nationals go for eighth straight win against Arizona
- State of the Nationals' bullpen: Exhausted
- Around the NL East: Are the Marlins legit contenders?
- LaRoche finally gets to savor first walk-off homer
- Nats beat Diamondbacks in third straight walk-off win
- Nationals keep streak alive vs. D-backs