Game 25: Nats vs. Reds

Apr 28, 2013, 2:41 PM EDT

Photo by USA Today

The Nationals' starting rotation has put in a string of solid outings to help lead Washington out of the darkness of their four-game losing streak and sweep by the St. Louis Cardinals. Now it's Ross Detwiler's (1-1, 1.38 ERA) turn to take the hill and help his team go for a four-game sweep of the Cincinnati Reds and set the Nats up well for their upcoming road trip.

Detwiler faced the Reds earlier this season and allowed zero runs through six innings. In four starts this year he has pitched at least through the sixth and allowed two runs or less each time out. Detwiler has a 2.48 ERA with 20 strikeouts in 29 innings in his career vs. Cincinnati, but is 0-3 in those games. Today he'll look for his first win against the franchise.

Pitching for Cincinnati is fellow young lefty Tony Cingrani. The former third round pick of the 2011 draft will be making his sixth appearance in a major league game and just his third start. So far this season he is 1-0 with a 2.25 ERA and 17 strikeouts in 12 innings pitched.

The Nats have dropped Adam LaRoche to sixth in the batting order after going hitless in his last 22 at-bats. Ian Desmond has moved up a slot after having a good day on Saturday with a walk, RBI, and run scored.

Updates to come…

CINCINNATI REDS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:35 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM)
Weather: Partly cloudy, 68 degrees, Wind 6 mph in from LF

CF Denard Span
2B Danny Espinosa
LF Bryce Harper
RF Jayson Werth
SS Ian Desmond

1. jeffwx - Apr 28, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Noone in the lineup….could be a close game

2. natsfan1a - Apr 28, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Maybe they're going for a "Baseball Bugs" scenario. My money's on Det if so. :-)

3. jeffwx - Apr 28, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Nats impact hitters: Span, Harper, Zimmerman, Desmond, Werth, Ramos in my humble opinion.not bad and either ALR/TYMO will become one too.

4. Marty - Apr 28, 2013 at 2:53 PM

This would be a wonderful day for ALR to get some rest…

5. jeffwx - Apr 28, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Yes, Det has more ABs so I'm going with our guy.Will have to miss the game live but maybe I'm not missing much with those lineups.

6. original Nats Fan - Apr 28, 2013 at 3:02 PM

the invisible men, Det doesn't need much support

7. Candide - Apr 28, 2013 at 3:09 PM

So is this lineup better or worse than a lineup consisting of only LaRoche, Espi, and Det?Discuss.

8. jeffwx - Apr 28, 2013 at 3:14 PM

One advantage of current lineup…little chance of inning ending double plays.

9. Section 222 - Apr 28, 2013 at 3:23 PM

A few random thoughts as we await the lineups and a chance for a sweep (!!). One thing this season has shown already, as if we needed any reminder — it's pointless to make judgments during the first month of the season about whether trades are panning out or players are improving or declining. Remember during Spring Training when the Dodgers had a ridiculous overabundance of starting pitchers? I heard last night they have now used 9 different starters already. Just shows you can't take anything for granted in baseball, particularly staying injury free. The Nats have been incredibly lucky with the health of their starters over the past two seasons. If that continues, we're going to be just fine — even if Haren doesn't ever reach the level of dominance that the Fab Four have achieved.Anyone else hear the Fox guys yesterday saying at least twice that Storen was coming back from "serious arm surgery"? It was almost as if they thought he had Tommy John instead of just bone chips removed from his elbow. And then they said that Clipp was often "very wild." Confusing him with H-Rod maybe?d Soriano is quietly showing how good he is. And "quietly" is a key adjective. When Storen and Clippard are on the mound, the tension is palpable, and the game slows to a crawl. I hope they are watching and learning from Rafi quiet confidence.We've one three straight without the whole lineup clicking yet. This team still has a lot of unrealized potential. But the key, as always, is pitching. And can we stop with blaming the catcher whenever a pitcher has a bad outing? Zuki is a pro and is doing just fine.

10. mick - Apr 28, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Sec 222The Fox and national baseball announcers and pundits illustrate how unprepared they are for the games and the teams that are playing. There are no more Curt Gowdy's Tony Kubieks, Pat Summerall, Madden's and Ray Scotts. These young guys are the reason journalism, reporters and coverage on anything frankly SUCKS! They are half ass in their preparation and homework and this is why I listen to Charlie and Dave, FP and Bobby C

11. Gonat - Apr 28, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Marty said… This would be a wonderful day for ALR to get some rest…______________________________Lefty starter, it would make sense.

12. Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa - Apr 28, 2013 at 3:46 PM

13. Section 222 - Apr 28, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Mick, well put. And don't forget Vin Scully. I caught a bit of his broadcast of the Dodgers/Brewers game last night on MLB Network. Learned that Gorzo has problems with ADD, and so does ALR. Even our own great announcers never have told us that. That guy is the master.

14. Candide - Apr 28, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa said… Chase is just trying to find pictures for the rest of the lineup as funny as the one of Det.I know a photo is just an instant frozen in time, but man, he looks drunk there.

15. NatsLady - Apr 28, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I knew that ALR has ADD and takes medication for it, an exception approved by MLB, this is an old story. I can't listen to Scully. Not only is his voice grating to my ears but he has no partner, so he goes on and on, ensuring there is never a moment of silence. I switched him on by accident and he was saying, "This must be Hispanic day, look at all the Hispanic players" — and then went on to list them, pointing out their last names, but no mention country of origin (or their parents' country of origin) or any salient fact about them. I know he's an old white guy, but those players he mentioned had almost nothing in common with each other.

16. alexva - Apr 28, 2013 at 3:58 PM

SpanLomboHarperWerthMooreDesmondRendonSuzukitake the rest of the morning off Davey

17. Gonat - Apr 28, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Section222, I watched that on tape this morning on the ADD. Scully always comes up with the most obscure trivia almost to the point of being OVERLY personal and evasive.

18. Candide - Apr 28, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Yikes! Now it's Det all by himself against the entire Reds' lineup!

19. alexva - Apr 28, 2013 at 3:58 PM

all two minutes of it

20. EmDash - Apr 28, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Figuring it'll be a low-scoring affair today – Nats haven't hit lefty starters well thus far (a consequence of Bryce being most of the offense, I'd imagine), and rookies with little major league track record tend to be their kryptonite. Should be interesting, though; I have faith in Det to keep it close.

21. Gonat - Apr 28, 2013 at 4:01 PM

alexva, if that is for reals, sitting Espi is interesting. I knew he was sitting ALR against the lefty but sitting Espi is hopefully a message to him for his poor play yesterday.

22. Candide - Apr 28, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Happy to see Corky Miller in the Reds lineup, for two reasons:1) Great moustache.2) He's somewhat less of a long-ball threat than Wil Nieves.

23. sjm308 - Apr 28, 2013 at 4:04 PM

308 here (and you can call me anything but late to dinner!! bang/kaboom)Candide: from the previous post – not sure I would say Red Carpet is worth it this year. In years past, definitely and I thought it was a terrific marketing tool to get more people to games. Last year my son & I figure we each went to 12 additional games with Red Carpet and we also had two passes into stars and stripes which was nice. This year they have given you less for your buck so to speak which makes sense since they now have a pretty solid fan base. Hope that makes sense.Thanks to alexva for the lineup and I hate to keep praising Eric but his advice about ignoring is spot on.Go Nats!!

24. Section 222 - Apr 28, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Ok, I guess Scully is not universally recognized as a great announcer. I happen to like his voice and his anecdotes. YMMV. With respect NL, the fact that *you've* heard something before does not make it old and generally known news. You are far from the average or even the well informed listener. I also love Charlie and Dave, but I know some who can't stand Charlie's middle innings wrapup of all the games that are going on. You can't please everyone. But at least you can be accurate and informed. The Fox guys generally are not. I think we all can agree on that.

25. NCNatsie - Apr 28, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Just for the fun of it, here's Ted Williams slash for 1940, his sophomore year:.344/.442/.595/1.036He hit 23 home runs and drove in 113.Here's Harper's current slash:.373/.453/.783/1.236His 9 home runs projects to 63 and his 18 RBI projects to 126. Okay, projections, smajections, but in one full year of major league baseball, he has 31 home runs and 77 RBI. Of all these comparison numbers, only the 1-year RBI total is lower than Williams number, possibly because Williams had Dom DiMaggio and Doc Cramer hitting in front of him, both of whom hit over .300 that year.Admittedly, Williams also had Jimmy Foxx, Joe Cronin and Bobby Doerr hitting behind him in 1940, which is pretty good protection. (The team had lousy pitching and finished 4th — 82-72 even withy that lineup.)Will Harper have career numbers like Williams? Let's just hope — for a lot of reasons — he doesn't have to give up 4 of his prime years to military service.

26. Marty - Apr 28, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Switch Desi and ALR, that'll fix everything!…

27. Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa - Apr 28, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I love listening to Scully, read something about LaRoche's ADD (I think Kilgore?) a year or two ago, but still consider it relevant. But that's beside the point, I think. Charlie and Dave do a very, very different style of announcing than Scully. Researching and working in bits of biography on the hundreds of characters in this long-running soap opera is interesting, is journalism. I like funny dances when somebody's at-bat music plays, too, but they are not comparable.

28. natsfan1a - Apr 28, 2013 at 4:14 PM

29. natsfan1a - Apr 28, 2013 at 4:15 PM

NatsLady said…"I knew that ALR has ADD and takes medication for it, an exception approved by MLB, this is an old story."Same here.On Scully, I happen to like his voice as well. I think part of the reason he goes on and on is that he started in radio. Also, he works alone, so it's all him, all the time. I also respect his time in the game, but that's just me.Candide said…"Happy to see Corky Miller in the Reds lineup, for two reasons:1) Great moustache."It is truly something to behold. Also, there's the "beer barrel battery" effect if Broxton takes the mound with him still behind the dish.

30. natsfan1a - Apr 28, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Section 222 said… You can't please everyone. But at least you can be accurate and informed. The Fox guys generally are not. I think we all can agree on that. April 28, 2013 12:07 PM Amen to that. :-)

31. natsfan1a - Apr 28, 2013 at 4:23 PM

The WaPo has this:Denard Span, CFDanny Espinosa, 2BBryce Harper, LFJayson Werth, RFIan Desmond, SSAdam LaRoche, 1BAnthony Rendon, 3BKurt Suzuki, CRoss Detwiler, SPalexva said… Span Lombo Harper Werth Moore Desmond Rendon Suzuki take the rest of the morning off Davey April 28, 2013 11:58 AM

32. natsfan1a - Apr 28, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Wait, now I have to buy *Chase* a drink?

33. natsfan1a - Apr 28, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Oh, all right…grumble…grumble

34. Section 222 - Apr 28, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Ok, so ALR's ADD was old news. Did any of you know that Gorzo had ADD?

35. Joe Seamhead - Apr 28, 2013 at 4:29 PM

changing the subject, but after the back-to-back one hitters there was questions as to whether Walter Johnson ever did it personally.I couldn't find anything to support that he did, but here's one that I thought was pretty impressive about Walter: On Sept 7, 2008 he shut out New York 4-0. What was most incredibile about that game is that it was his third complete game shutout in four days! For his career he had 110 shutouts, 38 of them by scores of 1-0. He also lost 26 1-0 games.

36. Section 222 - Apr 28, 2013 at 4:29 PM

37. Alphabet Soup Erik - Apr 28, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Vin Scully will always be the master. This is the same guy who announced the Brooklyn Dodgers 1955 World Series win. Anybody who doesn't appreciate what he brings to the game of baseball shouldn't be allowed to watch.

38. Candide - Apr 28, 2013 at 4:29 PM

sjm308 said…I hate to keep praising Eric but his advice about ignoring is spot on.Ignore who?Ugarte (Peter Lorre): You despise me, don't you, Rick?Rick (Bogart): If I gave you any thought I probably would.

39. Candide - Apr 28, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Joe Seamhead said… changing the subject, but after the back-to-back one hitters there was questions as to whether Walter Johnson ever did it personally.I couldn't find anything to support that he did, but here's one that I thought was pretty impressive about Walter: On Sept 7, 2008 he shut out New York 4-0.Wow. I knew Johnson was good, but…

40. Joe Seamhead - Apr 28, 2013 at 4:32 PM

I'm not the only one surprised that Adam is starting today, am I?

41. Joe Seamhead - Apr 28, 2013 at 4:33 PM

oops! Sept. 7,1908! sorry.

42. EmDash - Apr 28, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Really surprised there's no Tyler Moore today – wanting to keep the defense sharp during what's likely to be a day with a lot of ground balls, or a "Davey showing confidence in his players" move?Weirdly, though, looking at Tyler's stats, he seems to have a reverse platoon split and hit righties better than lefties (and is an above-average hitter against right-handers and below average against left-handers). Did not realize that before.

43. Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa - Apr 28, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Deuces, about Gorzelanny, yes, but from when he was with the Cubs, not something I heard about here, IIRC. On Span's catch at the wall yesterday–I went back to the clip somebody posted (sorry, I forget who) at :38, looked a few times, and I'm convinced the ball would have hit the top of the padding and gone over. FWIW.

44. Joe Seamhead - Apr 28, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I was going to delete that, correct it, and re-post it, but decided it was a pretty funny slip. I think I might owe Candide a whole 6 pack.

45. Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa - Apr 28, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Candide, a brilliant solution! Don't scroll, just read the posts in Peter Lorre's voice!

46. Candide - Apr 28, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Not to minimize it, but keep in mind that Johnson's feat was accomplished in the dead-ball era. The entire AL hit only 116 homers that year. And the league ERA was 2.39.

47. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 28, 2013 at 4:44 PM

On Gorzo's ADD…..Yes, it's been known for quite awhile. Just not made out to be a big deal, just like ALR.

48. Joe Seamhead - Apr 28, 2013 at 4:45 PM

27 innings of shutout pitching in 4 days can't be minimized in any era of pro ball.

49. Joe Seamhead - Apr 28, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Jack were you there for today's batting practice? If so, did ALR look any better then when you saw him in Friday night's BP?

50. SonnyG10 - Apr 28, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I got irritated with the Fox announcers when the Cincinnatti catcher would ask for time and the ump called time out and pointed to the catcher, the announcers would say the batter asked for time out. No big deal but it irritated the heck out of me.

51. natsfan1a - Apr 28, 2013 at 4:50 PM

I recall it being mentioned in the context of ALR's ADD.Section 222 said… Ok, so ALR's ADD was old news. Did any of you know that Gorzo had ADD? April 28, 2013 12:28 PM

52. natsfan1a - Apr 28, 2013 at 4:51 PM

When you're slapped, you'll take it and like it. Wait, what?Candide said… sjm308 said…I hate to keep praising Eric but his advice about ignoring is spot on. Ignore who? Ugarte (Peter Lorre): You despise me, don't you, Rick? Rick (Bogart): If I gave you any thought I probably would. April 28, 2013 12:29 PM

53. Rich P. - Apr 28, 2013 at 4:51 PM

"Section 222 said…You can't please everyone. But at least you can be accurate and informed. The Fox guys generally are not. I think we all can agree on that."No we can't. The Fox and ESPN announcers serve a different function than local announcers. They shouldn't be expected to have the minute details on every home team player that the local guys who see them every day and travel on the plane with the team would. The Fox guys are fine for what they do. Much of their annoying stuff is foisted on them by the network, e.g. the in-game inteviews of UFC guys, etc.In particular, Thom Bfrenneman wasright when he said Clippard is often wild. He is often wild. Walks a lot of guys, and unlike the nibbler Storen Clippard is nowhere near the zone. He used to get swings and misses on the high fastballs, but the league has figured him out and quit swinging at that pitch. Those high fastballs are balls. He used to be able to "climb the ladder" and throw a couple of heaters in the zone followed by a swing and miss strike 3 on high heat. He can't even do that any more because all his fastballs are high or wide out of the zone. He has no command of his pitches. He's wild.

54. MicheleS - Apr 28, 2013 at 4:52 PM

FYI.. Det makes those faces everytime he throws a pitch. I got a ton of pictures during spring training of him with that same look on his face.GO DET! GYFNG!!!!

55. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 28, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Didn't see ALR take bp. Only a fewNats took pb.

56. Gonat - Apr 28, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Oh my, Alexva was wrong. Same lineup as yesterday.I guess he will keep rolling LaRoche out there hoping that today will be the day. Let's see if today is indeed the lucky squirrel today and he finds the nut.

57. Section 222 - Apr 28, 2013 at 5:01 PM

"Feel" free to enjoy those Fox announcers, Rich P. I knew I could count on you to disagree.

58. Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa - Apr 28, 2013 at 5:01 PM

'When you're slapped, you'll take it and like it.' Wait, what?My nostrils flared at the scent of his perfume: Pyramid Patchouli. There was only one joker in LA sensitive enough to wear that fragrance! And I had to find out who he was …

59. natsfan1a - Apr 28, 2013 at 5:02 PM

fwiw, here's a LaRoche/Gorzelanny story, from USA Today, 2007. There's also this from the WaPo, 2001.

60. natsfan1a - Apr 28, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Er, mistype alert: 2011.

61. natsfan1a - Apr 28, 2013 at 5:04 PM

lolSection 222 said… "Feel" free to enjoy those Fox announcers, Rich P.

62. Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa - Apr 28, 2013 at 5:05 PM

The Fox and ESPN announcers serve a different function than local announcers. They shouldn't be expected to have the minute details on every home team player that the local guys who see them every day and travel on the plane with the team would. That's true, but it's not the complaint. They get stuff factually incorrect, which is a problem if they're trying to be Vin Scully. Charlie and Dave, OTOH, don't seem to mind. I think they aren't there to report on the game so much as translate it, and it's sometimes a loose translation.

63. MicheleS - Apr 28, 2013 at 5:07 PM

64. natsfan1a - Apr 28, 2013 at 5:08 PM

On a related note, my husband was driving home from work listening to WTOP one day. They had an update on a spring training game and highlighted Ryan Zimmerman's noteworthy pitching. ummm….

65. Doc - Apr 28, 2013 at 5:18 PM

66. Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa - Apr 28, 2013 at 5:19 PM

You think you're confusing now, you ain't seen nothing yet, and you may not.Wait til Brian Zuckerman is on the roster in a couple of years…

67. Gonat - Apr 28, 2013 at 5:20 PM

MicheleS said… Well yesterday according to the Fox Guys and MLB Network on Friday – RYAN Zimmerman through a complete game shut out on Thursday._________________________Do you owe me a drink if I said that yesterday? LOLThe amazing part was that when Mitch Williams said it in the pre-game, he hesitated to read the teleprompter, and nobody corrected it.

68. Joe Seamhead - Apr 28, 2013 at 5:27 PM

This kid pitching for the Reds has some pretty impressive stats.

69. Candide - Apr 28, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Four Nats starters today under the Mendoza line, including Det.

70. Gonat - Apr 28, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Doc said… Aw c'mon Davey!Even if TyMo hits righties better than lefties, ALR doesn't hit either recently!Give TyMo a chance,man!!!!!!! April 28, 2013 1:18 PM _________________________________Yah, it seemed to be the perfect day to get TyMo in there.You know how gamblers have a problem when they think it's impossible to lose 5 hands in a row in blackjack then they cash in for more chips and lose 6 in a row, then dip in for more cash on that 7th hand and they win. Only problem is they lost 6 out of 7 and it's possible you run out of all your money on your 6th hand.You have 162 games in baseball and if you keep pushing it past the point of no return you can end up finding out in hindsight that you played it like a bad gambler thinking the luck was going to change and it never did.1st base is a premium offensive position reserved for a power hitter where you even sacrifice BA for defense but you do expect an impact bat.LaRoche is hurt. This is beyond a slump. Even last week he hit a HR but in his season overall even Gio has hit a HR.

71. Gonat - Apr 28, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Joe Seamhead said… This kid pitching for the Reds has some pretty impressive stats.____________________________So does the kid starting for the Nats.

72. Gonat - Apr 28, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Candide said… Four Nats starters today under the Mendoza line, including Det. __________________________The good news is that Rendon just needs a 2 hit game to get above .225Positivity!!!!

73. EmDash - Apr 28, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Home plate ump is Sam Holbrooke. I seem to remember him making a lot of famously wrong calls…

74. Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa - Apr 28, 2013 at 5:44 PM

aaaaaaaaaand there goes the one-hitter.

75. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 28, 2013 at 5:44 PM

espi you need to make that play with Votto on deck.

76. Gonat - Apr 28, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Tough chance for Danny but that's a play he needs to make on Cozart. That would have been 2 outs.

77. Gonat - Apr 28, 2013 at 5:47 PM

That didn't take long. Det hit the glove right where Zuk set up. Not sure why they threw 5 straight 4-seamers.

78. Gonat - Apr 28, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Werth caught sleeping and Phillips takes 3rd on him.This is already ugly.

79. baseballswami - Apr 28, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Quick! Everybody panic and tell us exactly how many pitches Ross is having to use on the first inning. Then do the math and tell us how many innings that will be. Bad luck on the single, the double close to the foul line. Crappy . Next inning he will have it fixed. Now a bad throw. Come on, Nats!!!

80. EmDash - Apr 28, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Ross getting BABIP'ed pretty hard so far.

81. Exposremains - Apr 28, 2013 at 5:52 PM

too many fastballs

82. Alphabet Soup Erik - Apr 28, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Looks like that great Espinosa defense is already costing them runs. They must have the worst right side of the infield in baseball so far this year everything considered. The left side hasn't been much better with 17 errors, Zimmerman not hitting and then going on the DL, and Desmond with 1 hit with RISP and 3 (count them) 3 walks. Pretty awful.

83. Gonat - Apr 28, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Zuk also has not been good at all this year on foult tips. 36 pitches for Detwiler. All started with Danny not keeping his glove down on the grounder by the 2nd batter of the game.That's how this game works. It starts with that ONE play.

84. Gonat - Apr 28, 2013 at 5:56 PM

baseballswami said… Quick! Everybody panic and tell us exactly how many pitches Ross is having to use on the first inning. _______________________At 25 pitches, blah, at 36, not good. Luckily only 2 runs scored.

85. Joe Seamhead - Apr 28, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Werth made a poor throw, but ultimately, no harm. Suzuki drops strike three foul tip, but again no damage.

86. baseballswami - Apr 28, 2013 at 5:57 PM

The tv crew made excuses for Danny, but he should have had that. Good throw also gets the guy at third. Hits, please? I figured everyone would now start jumping on Ross about the 2 and. 4 seamers. You love it when his era is below three. Criticize it when they get lucky on it.

87. Knoxville Nat - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:04 PM

88. Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Knoxville, Alex Karros was on color. Speaking of getting things wrong, will somebody tell Carpenter the definition of a catch, please? There's no "he had it long enough" in baseball.

89. Drew - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:09 PM

The guy is hitting .176 and he has botched four plays in two days.

90. Candide - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Well, the good part is, Cunegonde and I have to go out at 2:30…

91. Joe Seamhead - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:12 PM

I feel for Ross. Danny is killing us right now.

92. Candide - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Starting to wonder if LaRoche isn't the only guy on the team with ADD."Okay, Danny, what are you going to do if it's hit to third?""Oh, look, a squirrel!"

93. Scott Margenau - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Whew! That could have been a very bad inning.

94. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Nice play ALR doubling up the runner at 2nd. What is Espinosa doing?

95. Joe Seamhead - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Thank you, Adam La Roche!

96. Exposremains - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:16 PM

What is it gonna take to sit Espinosa for a few games. Right now, you can't make the excuse that he provides good defense.

97. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:16 PM

The Espi people can remind me again tomorrow how Davey needs him for his glove.

98. baseballswami - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:17 PM

To be fair- Ross' era is unnaturally low, he had been fantastic, his defense has killed him, and this is the fourth game in the series, we already have three. Lets step off the ledge. I would, however , like to see if the Nats can gut check early in the game and mount a steady comeback .

99. Joe Seamhead - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:18 PM

100. Scott Margenau - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:20 PM

I missed it, what did Adam do? (At magnolias in Pville, with game on) Sipping on Gin n juice

101. Candide - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Scott – caught screaming liner off the bat, threw to 2nd to catch the runner off base for the DP.

102. Candide - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:22 PM

…and then he just got called out on strikes, to the surprise of absolutely nobody.

103. Will - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:22 PM

LaRoche, at this level of play, does not belong on a big league roster.He looks clueless at the plate. He's getting fooled by everything, and when he does make contact 90% of the time it's a weak grounder.Why is Moore not starting?

104. Joe Seamhead - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:23 PM

He was I perfect position to nab Phillips' line drive and turn a double play, Scott. Then he had another very ugly AB, as did Desi, and Werth.

105. Candide - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:25 PM

On the replay, was the batter safe at first?

106. Will - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Even thought ALR's bat has been missing for a month, he hasn't lost his glove.

107. Joe Seamhead - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:25 PM

At this rate I'm going to be into Candide for a 12 pack before the day is out. Another good defensive play by ALR!

108. Scott Margenau - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Cool. TY Candide. Det off his game.

109. Joe Seamhead - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:27 PM

He was out by a gnat's nose, Candide.

110. Candide - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Joe Seamhead – here's where you want to go to settle up. Cell I9.

111. Candide - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Gotta run. Maybe the Nats will do better without me around jinxing them.

112. Joe Seamhead - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I'll try to do it after the game, but keep count for me will, ya?

113. EmDash - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I don't blame Danny for the first play – that was a perfectly placed ground ball that anyone would've had trouble fielding cleanly. But the one he got an error on – oof. No excuse for that one but pressing/rushing.Only two of the hits Ross has given up were really solidly hit, I think. Aside from Danny's error, this has mostly just been a bad luck on BABIP kind of game.

114. Secret wasian man - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:35 PM

When the Nats dont score first they are just not good. They get behind and the bats dissappear. And good glove or not. ALR is just a strikeout machine.

115. Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Sofa, if I guy has it in his mitt and loses the ball on the transfer, it's an out, which wasn't the case on that play by Espy. Rendon had a good play on what should have been a double play. Espy just blew it.Yes, that was (part of) my point. Carpenter was going on about how long Espinosa had/didn't have the ball, and it's not the first time he's done that. As FP pointed out, he didn't drop it on the transfer, he just plain dropped it. But there is no "long enough" rule. Obviously, as a practical matter, at some point the ump is going to make a call, but there's is a reason they ask fielders to show them the ball.

116. baseballswami - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Em dash– I completely agree. BABIP, iffy defense in a short period of time. Things got out of hand very quickly. But, really, three runs is minimal. Hitters need to step up now. Danny looks awful- all around. ALR, depressing. It's May on Wednesddy, Rsmos and Zim almost back.

117. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Today can be that day to get a come from behind rally going.

118. Secret wasian man - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:41 PM

ALR is a heck of a nice guy. But he is hurting this team at the plate. we have to get a hitter in there.

119. Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:43 PM

And it's "Sue-PER-buhs", Carp, not "SUE-per-bahs."I think he's doing it on purpose.

120. EmDash - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Even if the Reds didn't score first, this wasn't a great match-up for them. Rookie they don't have a bead on yet = a bad scene. Lefties, they haven't done great against. Add them together, and, well. Badness.

121. Scott Margenau - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Web gem rendon. U have to catch that!!! Stiff back not good for stretch catch. I make that catch every day. (20 years ago) lol

122. Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:46 PM

I dunno, EmDash, I think they've hit a lot of balls hard, some caught but several not, at least a couple right back at Detwiler.

123. baseballswami - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:51 PM

You have to admit, though— first inning, Danny, then ball barely fair, the Werth bad throw to first. Seeing eye singles, crazy stuff , then it snowballs. Bad plate approaches—– again.

124. Secret wasian man - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Probably no wins without Bryce this year. But that was awful AB

125. Secret wasian man - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Dont like the attitude of we got 3 wins so its ok to sleeep thru game 4.

126. Secret wasian man - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:57 PM

ALR is up Time to cut the grass.

127. Knoxville Nat - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Bad AB's from Harper and Desi. Now ALR……show me something Adam!

128. EmDash - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:58 PM

This inning is already a moral victory. A hit happened!

129. Secret wasian man - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:59 PM

too many lefty hitters in this lineup today.

130. Knoxville Nat - Apr 28, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Looks like a statue up there.

131. Secret wasian man - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:00 PM

THAT WAS OUTSIDE. 4 strikeouts in the inning. AWFUL performance today.

132. EmDash - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Don't think they've gone to sleep or aren't trying hard enough. Just, pressing too much again.

133. Joe Seamhead - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Werth made a bad throw to third on Phillips' heads up baserunning. No damage ultimately on that one as Phillips was stranded.ALR had no shot on that pitch.I'm bleeding for the guy.In fairness to him Cingrani had four strikeouts in that inning.

134. EmDash - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Don't see how that third strike was a strike – up and outside. But when you're in a slump like LaRoche you don't get a lot of borderline calls.

135. Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:03 PM

For everybody still mad about the Haren signing, consider, it could have been worse. Consider the Cubs-Rays deal for Matt Garza.

136. Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Werth made a bad throw to third on Phillips' heads up baserunning. No damage ultimately on that one as Phillips was stranded.But give Phillips some credit; it was a good deke.

137. EmDash - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Haha, oh man. This game.

138. Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:06 PM

That kid hitting the plastic balls has a huge loop in his swing–where's the accountability??

139. Joe Seamhead - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Ugly!

140. Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Just guessing, but from the way Detwiler pulled off that popup so suddenly, I wonder if he didn't get called off. Not sure who, Desmond had no play even if it had bounced up. Just looked like it to me."A grown man hit that ball!" is pretty funny.

141. EmDash - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Poor Ross, always seems to get the hard luck games.

142. Joe Seamhead - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:09 PM

I agree on the deke, Sofa. Swami said something about a Werth bad throw to first. I got confused on his confusion.

143. Secret wasian man - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Bottom line the guys you expect to hit arent hitting. gotta get 2 runs at least in that last inning.

144. Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Got to get something. Bad ABs from Harper, Desmond, and LaRoche, but also really good pitching from Cingrani.

145. Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:12 PM

aaaaaaaaaaaaand …. there goes the one-hitter (2).

146. Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:14 PM

I like the more democratic ground balls as well as the next guy, but I wonder about the value of putting together a pack of rottwielers and trying to teach them to say "Pardon me, would you mind not stepping into my yard, please? Thank you very much. We appreciate it."

147. Joe Seamhead - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Tyler looked just as ugly as anybody else has in that AB.

148. Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Oh, man. What a cluster THAT was. Span was the only one there who did anything right, and he should have been out.

149. EmDash - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:20 PM

I wonder if Dusty will send this pitcher out next inning – I wouldn't. He looked gassed out there.Aaand our third base coach lets the Reds off the hook. Jesus. It was just insane to send Rendon there. That wasn't close.

150. baseballswami - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:20 PM

You send a rookie with bad ankles into a possible collision at the plate just as the pitcher is tiring?

151. Joe Seamhead - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Three errors on that play. One by the LFer, one by Rendon, and one by the third base coach Jewitt. Bummer.

152. Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Well, swami, to be fair, the collision was unlikely, since he was out by twenty effing feet.

153. Secret wasian man - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:21 PM

WOW really???? Guy gives you an extra out and because A. your not hustling or B. the third base coach is a moron. you get nothing. you lose you lose. BUT THIS TEAM JUST PLAYS DUMB!!!!!!!!

154. Another_Sam - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Jewett hasn't caught on yet. Or the players don't look to him. BH's recent triple was clearly a standup and yet we saw a cringe-inducing slide. Too many times jewetts not in the game. IMHO.

155. baseballswami - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:23 PM

And as to the pitch to contact philosophy– it very obviously works for JZ, probably not for Stras, msybe Gio and Det- jury still out. Need to be able to adjust if things are not working that Dsy, though.one approach usually does not work for everyone.

156. Secret wasian man - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:23 PM

HURRY BACK ZIMM. Unexcusable for a guy to quit running. especially one trying to make it in the bigs. Davey has to get this team under control.

157. EmDash - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Bob and FP defending Jewett, but, no. That was inarguably poor judgment. One run doesn't help you that much, not nearly as much as the high chance of giving away the third out.

158. Alphabet Soup Erik - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Can't wait to play the Braves with this anemic offense. They have already beat the Nats 7 times in a row. If Harper doesn't hit, Nats don't score.

159. Dan Strong - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Yet another E5..

160. EmDash - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Rendon's a good young player, but he really seems a bit overwhelmed in the majors so far.

161. Secret wasian man - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Alphabet I agree. What is truly sickening is we were given 8 outs in the last 2 innings and still can't score.

162. Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Rendon stopped after rounding second because he could not tell how far the ball was going to get away, and he didn't want to get thrown out at third if it fell right at the LF's feet. So that had some logic to it, at least.

163. ehay2k - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Hmm, bad throws by Rendon, and didn't even Lombo make an iffy one when he played third? So, maybe it's not Zimm after all, it's something to do with the field at third? Our own "Bermuda Corner" perhaps? Who knew?

164. Another_Sam - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Some days this club has but one hitter. And he's been contained so far today.

165. Joe Seamhead - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Bryce needs to talk to Anthony Rendon regarding going full tilt boogie. What the heck was he thinking.Give me Zimmerman back at third ASAP! Rendon has had two throws that if Ryan had thrown the masses would've been all over him.

166. Alphabet Soup Erik - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Zimmerman has made about 50 bad throws in the last year…and he is not a rookie in the rain.

167. Drew - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Three errors in six games. Not good.The infield defense sure seems ragged this season.

168. baseballswami - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:33 PM

The kid's base running mistake was not slowing- it was slowing because he was trying to be his own base coach. Right or wrong, you put your head down and trust him to watch the ball. But you do go if he sends you. Unless you are Bryce, then you just go unless some one tackles you.

169. Another_Sam - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Seamhead – RZ's underhand fling is looking good now I agree. LOL

170. EmDash - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Base-running was a weakness last year, and that seems to have continued so far. Aggressiveness is fine, but there's no reason to be foolish. Giving the other team so many outs by running into them is a recipe for poor offensive performance. Not sure who on the coaching staff is responsible, but it's a real problem.

171. Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:36 PM

172. Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:37 PM

CorrectedNot sure what you meant there, Swami, but rounding second with two outs, that play's right in front of him, he should be paying attention to the ball. Listening to the coach, in this case, was his mistake, not that I blame the rookie for going when the coach sends him.

173. baseballswami - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:38 PM

I also think it's an issue that when this team is down early with plenty of outs left, they cannot mount a comeback. Even one run per inning to chip away would work. Last season they were the never say die, , comeback kids. Where did that go?

174. Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Where did that go?I think some of it was breaks, some of it is too many guys trying to hit six-run home runs.

175. baseballswami - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Sorry, section 3, but no ball watching- head down, run, watch the coach. Right or wrong, that is Jewett's job to make that judgement, not a minor league call up. I don't care if he could see the ball, he could not possibly see the ball and the entire situation on the field. That is Jewett 's job.

176. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:43 PM

I watched Rendon from start to finish on that play and it's all on him. He broke 3/4 speedd on a 3-2 pitch (bad), hesitated after rounding second (worse) and was late picking up the 3rd base coach (inexcuseable).In the words of F P "send him down, he's not ready".

177. Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:44 PM

I don't agree, Swami, and I suspect we aren't going to. He has to be paying attention to the play, and not leave everything up to the coach. You think Brandon Phillips' coach told him to deke Werth?

178. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:48 PM

desi's bloop would have been great last at bat. Timing not good.I will take 3 out of 4 vs. Braves

179. Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:48 PM

OTOH, not going hard on the pitch, and picking up the coach late, that can't happen.

180. Joe Seamhead - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Rendon is a very promising prospect. What more is there to say? He has come up due to injury, but I don't see him as ready for prime time yet. In fairness,he really hasn't played much defensively for the past two years, as he was hurt last year, as he was in his last year in college.In his last year at Rice, though he played in 63 games, he DHed in 55 of them. The kid needs a full year in the minors just to get reps in the field, if for nothing else, in my opinion.

181. Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Well, he's going to have a whole mariachi orchestra-worth of sombreros before May.

182. Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:51 PM

HE being LaRoche

183. Secret wasian man - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Watching the movie Benchwarmers. We need David Spade for ALR. At least he can foul tip it.

184. Drew - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:54 PM

LaRoche isn't just below Mendoza. He's come un-Dunn.Dunn's hitting .143 and LaRoche is hitting .137.

185. Secret wasian man - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:54 PM

How big is ALR wiff now. HAHAHAHA

186. baseballswami - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Joe – part of our problem is that he is following Bryce, a once in a decade( or more?) player. This prospect is probably quite normal. We just don't know what that is anymore. And, sorry to belabor this point, but is there any one of you that has any confidence at all that this team can recover down four runs, even with many innings to go? They had tons of time today. I miss that steely resilience. And I miss Zim and Ramios.

187. Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:56 PM

I'd be curious to know what kind of a jump Rendon got on that double. Is he a notoriously slow runner?

188. Joe Seamhead - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:56 PM

All right, lets go you Nationals!

189. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:56 PM

only 2 Nats to K are Ren-con and Suzuki.

190. Secret wasian man - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Swami I agree. I think the Nats need a big comeback win. It would go a long way to help a long season.

191. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:59 PM

only 2 to not strike out….

192. Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:59 PM

only 2 Nats to K are Ren-con and Suzuki.Come again?

193. Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Dang, do I owe MNF a coke for that? Prob'ly.

194. Secret wasian man - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Is ALR really hitting 137??? Isnt Jordan Zimms average higher?

195. Joe Seamhead - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I was wondering the same thing Sofa. Again though, you can't compare him, or anybody else, to Bryce Harper.Like I said, You can't expect anybody that hasn't played much infield for almost three years, and even less in professional baseball, to step into playing a MLB third base.

196. Secret wasian man - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Not going to be playing in October if you dont get timely hits. too many lefties hitting. Tyler more there.

197. Secret wasian man - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:08 PM

4 hits. 2 errors. and 12 strikeouts. World series here we come.

198. Rabbit34 - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Have some fun…WATCH WATER BOIL.

199. EmDash - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Bad Henry today?

200. Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Silly Rabbit…water doesn't boil if you're watching.

201. Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Besides, where else can you see a pitcher hit himself with a wild pitch?

202. EmDash - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Yep. Here we go.

203. Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Trending toward Pretty Fricken Feo … need 2 here.

204. EmDash - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:18 PM

I tell ya, the league leader in HPB vs. the guy most likely to hit a batter is must-see TV!

205. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:22 PM

how does good Henry turn into bad Henry so quickly?

206. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Insanity saved by Mattheus.

207. EmDash - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Could've been worse: the this game story.

208. Theophilus T. S. - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Several WTF moments in this game but ##1 and 2 have to be Rendon going home on the two-out double and LaRoche standing like a house by the side of the road w/ two strikes. Very weak third outs by this team — seriously. #3 would be Johnson leaving H. Rodriguez in long enough to walk the bases full; like he was conceding the game while the Nats were still (theoretically) in range.

209. Theophilus T. S. - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:29 PM

I would add that a year DH'ing at Rice did nothing to increase Rendon's understanding, command of any of the other aspects of his game.

210. Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Theo, that's a good point.

211. EmDash - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Base running and defense are the things that get me. Bad hitting games happen, off pitching days happen. But taking yourself out of the game shouldn't happen so much.

212. Joe Seamhead - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:34 PM

My point put better by Theo.Anyway, y'all need to keep in mind we took the series from a pretty good team. We played crappy today, but relax, we got this.You'll see.

213. Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Got to give the crowd some credit, though. Cool day, rainy, they're still working it.

214. EmDash - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:41 PM

That's true, on balance it's been a good series. The frequent mental mistakes just give me pause.I don't know that I've seen a pitcher work this slowly in quite a while. Man. This inning feels longer than Ross's first one.

215. Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Maybe they could have Harper room with Rendon on the road.

216. jeffwx - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:43 PM

I can't stand to watch ALR bat again, so here's my comment beforehand:There Stands LaRoche like a stonewall…this isn't the Battle of Manassas, Adam

217. jeffwx - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:45 PM

O-26

218. MicheleS - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:46 PM

I have been the biggest ALR supporter, and I think he needs to sit for a few games. If he isn't hurt, then he needs to clear his head.Hurry back Ryan! the lineup needs you.

219. Secret wasian man - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:46 PM

ALR must have some nasty pictures of Davey doing some NASTY things with some Nasty ,which keeps him in this lineup. WHAT A JOKE. You can not Justify this guy playing right now.

220. baseballswami - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Here is my theory. The team is front loading every single dumb assed move into one month.

221. MicheleS - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:48 PM

OH.. and is Danny have brain cramps at 2B lately, or is it just me? I didn't read the game thread for fear that he was being roasted.

222. baseballswami - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Bryce is a highlight even in a horrible game. His baseball maturity is off the charts. It must be very odd for the veterans to see him playing in a more sophisticated way than they do.

223. MicheleS - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:50 PM

SWM.. the reason ALR is playing right now is the glove. When you have 3 MI's that are either young or with the yips, you need to have a GG out there.

224. Nats106 - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Left the game early, as the infield didn't bother to show up. Detwiler must feel persecuted. First his bullpen lets him down. Then the team doesn't hit for him. Then the infield falls apart. Good grief. Hey, anybody know if Rendon's mom is still in the area and became the official scorer? How he didn't get an error on that throw to first I'll never get.That's OK, he made another horrible throw that was an error to make up for it. We have a sterling silver outfield and an infield made of swiss cheese.Positives from the game:1) Henry didn't knock himself unconscious with that pitchback pitch.2) We can officially put Morse in the pleasant memory category. Anybody who doesn't believe that Span is not a huge upgrade for this team should go back to watching tennis.2) Uhhh, well not much else. How about we won 3 of 4 at home for a 4-3 series win against the Reds.Negatives1) We will NEVER be playing in October with an infield that plays as badly as this one is right now.2) Henry is still throwing for this team. NOTE i say throwing, not pitching.3) Rendon, as much as some posters here would like to believe it, is clearly not ready. And when they send him back down, put him in a city where there is a Target store so he can throw baseballs at their logo until he gets it right.Disappointing and flat performance when they could have hit the road in good fashion.

225. EmDash - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Davey's strategy is to show faith in his starters to let them work themselves out of their slumps. That's what he's doing. I'd agree that it seems like it's gone on a little long now though.

226. Secret wasian man - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Its time for a phantom injusy to ALR

227. Secret wasian man - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:53 PM

I luv ALR glove. But bat him 8th.

228. jeffwx - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:55 PM

section 106 said2) We can officially put Morse in the pleasant memory category. Anybody who doesn't believe that Span is not a huge upgrade for this team should go back to watching tennis.————————Can you rephrase ? I'm lost in double negatives so is that a positive comment for Span

229. baseballswami - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:55 PM

And here is my chant. April sucks. April sucks. It will be May in just a couple of days and the Nats' woes will magically disappear. One thing that will happen– we will not hear that Zim should step aside for Rendon to play third. Espi still sucks but now Lombo seems to have caught his 0- fer disease. So much for that option.

230. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:56 PM

The 0 for 26 s bad 13 Ks makes it worse.Third Sunday in a row we made opponent look like Cy Young.That last fact is really confusing to me.

231. MicheleS - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:57 PM

EMDash… This is the first time I have called for ALR to sit. It's a little long for me. The only that gives me hope is Pittsburgh at the end of the week. He always hits there.SWM.. Notice he got dropped down in the order. laying odds that when Ryan comes back, Ian will be behind him and not Adam.

232. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:58 PM

speaking of Pittsburgh traveling and going to all 3 gams. 12th row behind home plate.

233. Nats106 - Apr 28, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Jeffwx-sorry if I wasn't clear. Span is a definite positive for this team. I wasn't sold on his arm, but the rest of his game has been stellar.

234. jeffwx - Apr 28, 2013 at 9:01 PM

I love Pittsburgh's Park. Beers are less than the avg ticket price too!!! unlike Nats park

235. jeffwx - Apr 28, 2013 at 9:03 PM

N106, agreed.

236. natsfan1a - Apr 28, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Haven't scrolled through all the posts, but it was Eric Karros and Thom Brennaman.Knoxville Nat said… Regarding the Fox announcers from yesterday, just who was calling the game? I got blacked out here in TN and Fox had Kenny Albert & McCarver doing the Braves at Tigers. April 28, 2013 2:04 PM

237. Scott Margenau - Apr 28, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Love his glove????!!! He misses a lot of throws cuz he can't strectch worth sh#%^ — every player hits that year at a certain age and it's done. aLR is done. Waiting for Espi "ceiling" is also dumb. I just can't take DJ's decisions. We all know what needs to happen and he's too stubborn to do it. I can't wait till Davey is gone. *frustrated*