Apr 28, 2013, 2:41 PM EDT
|Photo by USA Today|
The Nationals' starting rotation has put in a string of solid outings to help lead Washington out of the darkness of their four-game losing streak and sweep by the St. Louis Cardinals. Now it's Ross Detwiler's (1-1, 1.38 ERA) turn to take the hill and help his team go for a four-game sweep of the Cincinnati Reds and set the Nats up well for their upcoming road trip.
Detwiler faced the Reds earlier this season and allowed zero runs through six innings. In four starts this year he has pitched at least through the sixth and allowed two runs or less each time out. Detwiler has a 2.48 ERA with 20 strikeouts in 29 innings in his career vs. Cincinnati, but is 0-3 in those games. Today he'll look for his first win against the franchise.
Pitching for Cincinnati is fellow young lefty Tony Cingrani. The former third round pick of the 2011 draft will be making his sixth appearance in a major league game and just his third start. So far this season he is 1-0 with a 2.25 ERA and 17 strikeouts in 12 innings pitched.
The Nats have dropped Adam LaRoche to sixth in the batting order after going hitless in his last 22 at-bats. Ian Desmond has moved up a slot after having a good day on Saturday with a walk, RBI, and run scored.
Updates to come…
CINCINNATI REDS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:35 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM)
Weather: Partly cloudy, 68 degrees, Wind 6 mph in from LF
CF Denard Span
2B Danny Espinosa
LF Bryce Harper
RF Jayson Werth
SS Ian Desmond
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Scherzer on mound as Nats try to take series
- Papelbon aiming for saves record, hopes to co-exist with Storen
- On Harper's blasts and Nats' new-look pen
- Report: Phillies trade Cole Hamels to AL West team
- Mets SS cries on field after learning of trade that didn't happen
- Harper homers twice into upper deck, Nats beat Marlins 7-2
- Report: Mets' trade for All-Star falls through
- Marlins get payback, play fart noises during Nats batting practice
- Nats hope to bounce back in Miami with Fister starting
- Nats Stock Watch: Starting pitchers scuffling