Game 25: Nats vs. Reds

Apr 28, 2013, 2:41 PM EST

Photo by USA Today

The Nationals' starting rotation has put in a string of solid outings to help lead Washington out of the darkness of their four-game losing streak and sweep by the St. Louis Cardinals. Now it's Ross Detwiler's (1-1, 1.38 ERA) turn to take the hill and help his team go for a four-game sweep of the Cincinnati Reds and set the Nats up well for their upcoming road trip.

Detwiler faced the Reds earlier this season and allowed zero runs through six innings. In four starts this year he has pitched at least through the sixth and allowed two runs or less each time out. Detwiler has a 2.48 ERA with 20 strikeouts in 29 innings in his career vs. Cincinnati, but is 0-3 in those games. Today he'll look for his first win against the franchise.

Pitching for Cincinnati is fellow young lefty Tony Cingrani. The former third round pick of the 2011 draft will be making his sixth appearance in a major league game and just his third start. So far this season he is 1-0 with a 2.25 ERA and 17 strikeouts in 12 innings pitched.

The Nats have dropped Adam LaRoche to sixth in the batting order after going hitless in his last 22 at-bats. Ian Desmond has moved up a slot after having a good day on Saturday with a walk, RBI, and run scored.

Updates to come…

CINCINNATI REDS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:35 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM)
Weather: Partly cloudy, 68 degrees, Wind 6 mph in from LF

CF Denard Span
2B Danny Espinosa
LF Bryce Harper
RF Jayson Werth
SS Ian Desmond

1. Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Besides, where else can you see a pitcher hit himself with a wild pitch?

2. EmDash - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Yep. Here we go.

3. Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Trending toward Pretty Fricken Feo … need 2 here.

4. EmDash - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:18 PM

I tell ya, the league leader in HPB vs. the guy most likely to hit a batter is must-see TV!

5. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:22 PM

how does good Henry turn into bad Henry so quickly?

6. Ghost Of Steve M. - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Insanity saved by Mattheus.

7. EmDash - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Could've been worse: the this game story.

8. Theophilus T. S. - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Several WTF moments in this game but ##1 and 2 have to be Rendon going home on the two-out double and LaRoche standing like a house by the side of the road w/ two strikes. Very weak third outs by this team — seriously. #3 would be Johnson leaving H. Rodriguez in long enough to walk the bases full; like he was conceding the game while the Nats were still (theoretically) in range.

9. Theophilus T. S. - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:29 PM

I would add that a year DH'ing at Rice did nothing to increase Rendon's understanding, command of any of the other aspects of his game.

10. Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Theo, that's a good point.

11. EmDash - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Base running and defense are the things that get me. Bad hitting games happen, off pitching days happen. But taking yourself out of the game shouldn't happen so much.

12. Joe Seamhead - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:34 PM

My point put better by Theo.Anyway, y'all need to keep in mind we took the series from a pretty good team. We played crappy today, but relax, we got this.You'll see.

13. Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Got to give the crowd some credit, though. Cool day, rainy, they're still working it.

14. EmDash - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:41 PM

That's true, on balance it's been a good series. The frequent mental mistakes just give me pause.I don't know that I've seen a pitcher work this slowly in quite a while. Man. This inning feels longer than Ross's first one.

15. Sec. 3, My Rocking Fire Sofa - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Maybe they could have Harper room with Rendon on the road.

16. jeffwx - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:43 PM

I can't stand to watch ALR bat again, so here's my comment beforehand:There Stands LaRoche like a stonewall…this isn't the Battle of Manassas, Adam

17. jeffwx - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:45 PM

O-26

18. MicheleS - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:46 PM

I have been the biggest ALR supporter, and I think he needs to sit for a few games. If he isn't hurt, then he needs to clear his head.Hurry back Ryan! the lineup needs you.

19. Secret wasian man - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:46 PM

ALR must have some nasty pictures of Davey doing some NASTY things with some Nasty ,which keeps him in this lineup. WHAT A JOKE. You can not Justify this guy playing right now.

20. baseballswami - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Here is my theory. The team is front loading every single dumb assed move into one month.

21. MicheleS - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:48 PM

OH.. and is Danny have brain cramps at 2B lately, or is it just me? I didn't read the game thread for fear that he was being roasted.

22. baseballswami - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Bryce is a highlight even in a horrible game. His baseball maturity is off the charts. It must be very odd for the veterans to see him playing in a more sophisticated way than they do.

23. MicheleS - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:50 PM

SWM.. the reason ALR is playing right now is the glove. When you have 3 MI's that are either young or with the yips, you need to have a GG out there.

24. Nats106 - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Left the game early, as the infield didn't bother to show up. Detwiler must feel persecuted. First his bullpen lets him down. Then the team doesn't hit for him. Then the infield falls apart. Good grief. Hey, anybody know if Rendon's mom is still in the area and became the official scorer? How he didn't get an error on that throw to first I'll never get.That's OK, he made another horrible throw that was an error to make up for it. We have a sterling silver outfield and an infield made of swiss cheese.Positives from the game:1) Henry didn't knock himself unconscious with that pitchback pitch.2) We can officially put Morse in the pleasant memory category. Anybody who doesn't believe that Span is not a huge upgrade for this team should go back to watching tennis.2) Uhhh, well not much else. How about we won 3 of 4 at home for a 4-3 series win against the Reds.Negatives1) We will NEVER be playing in October with an infield that plays as badly as this one is right now.2) Henry is still throwing for this team. NOTE i say throwing, not pitching.3) Rendon, as much as some posters here would like to believe it, is clearly not ready. And when they send him back down, put him in a city where there is a Target store so he can throw baseballs at their logo until he gets it right.Disappointing and flat performance when they could have hit the road in good fashion.

25. EmDash - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Davey's strategy is to show faith in his starters to let them work themselves out of their slumps. That's what he's doing. I'd agree that it seems like it's gone on a little long now though.

26. Secret wasian man - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Its time for a phantom injusy to ALR

27. Secret wasian man - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:53 PM

I luv ALR glove. But bat him 8th.

28. jeffwx - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:55 PM

section 106 said2) We can officially put Morse in the pleasant memory category. Anybody who doesn't believe that Span is not a huge upgrade for this team should go back to watching tennis.————————Can you rephrase ? I'm lost in double negatives so is that a positive comment for Span

29. baseballswami - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:55 PM

And here is my chant. April sucks. April sucks. It will be May in just a couple of days and the Nats' woes will magically disappear. One thing that will happen– we will not hear that Zim should step aside for Rendon to play third. Espi still sucks but now Lombo seems to have caught his 0- fer disease. So much for that option.

30. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:56 PM

The 0 for 26 s bad 13 Ks makes it worse.Third Sunday in a row we made opponent look like Cy Young.That last fact is really confusing to me.

31. MicheleS - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:57 PM

EMDash… This is the first time I have called for ALR to sit. It's a little long for me. The only that gives me hope is Pittsburgh at the end of the week. He always hits there.SWM.. Notice he got dropped down in the order. laying odds that when Ryan comes back, Ian will be behind him and not Adam.

32. Manassas Nats' Fan - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:58 PM

speaking of Pittsburgh traveling and going to all 3 gams. 12th row behind home plate.

33. Nats106 - Apr 28, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Jeffwx-sorry if I wasn't clear. Span is a definite positive for this team. I wasn't sold on his arm, but the rest of his game has been stellar.

34. jeffwx - Apr 28, 2013 at 9:01 PM

I love Pittsburgh's Park. Beers are less than the avg ticket price too!!! unlike Nats park

35. jeffwx - Apr 28, 2013 at 9:03 PM

N106, agreed.

36. natsfan1a - Apr 28, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Haven't scrolled through all the posts, but it was Eric Karros and Thom Brennaman.Knoxville Nat said… Regarding the Fox announcers from yesterday, just who was calling the game? I got blacked out here in TN and Fox had Kenny Albert & McCarver doing the Braves at Tigers. April 28, 2013 2:04 PM

37. Scott Margenau - Apr 28, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Love his glove????!!! He misses a lot of throws cuz he can't strectch worth sh#%^ — every player hits that year at a certain age and it's done. aLR is done. Waiting for Espi "ceiling" is also dumb. I just can't take DJ's decisions. We all know what needs to happen and he's too stubborn to do it. I can't wait till Davey is gone. *frustrated*