Apr 28, 2013, 11:55 PM EDT
|Photo by USA Today|
Through three consecutive wins against the Reds it seemed as if the Nationals had everything going right for them. Their pitching was airtight and their offense suddenly woke up from its slumber from the series before. They were also getting fortunate bounces and calls, something that frustrated them during a previous losing streak.
But the Nats were in the middle of a four-game series against Cincinnati, not three, and had one more game to go on Sunday. And after seeing the Nats’ lineup three times, the Reds made the most of their opportunities and rode a hot pitcher to a 5-2 win over Washington before 36,457 at Nationals Park.
“When you play three good games like that, that’s why four game series are hard,” Ian Desmond said. “It’s hard to go out there and they got a pretty good scouting report on us after three offensive games.”
Nationals starter Ross Detwiler was able to prevent the Reds from making the game a blowout, allowing just one extra base hit through five innings of work despite giving up 11 total hits. The Reds made plenty of contact, but ten of them were singles and four didn’t even leave the infield.
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Matt Williams quotes Robert Frost in postgame speech (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Nats celebrate NL East title with loud music, lots of beer
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate
- Nationals clinch NL East with victory in Atlanta
- How did Zimmerman fare in first game action in Viera?
- Nationals play for NL East title tonight in Atlanta
- Has Strasburg earned Game 1 start in playoffs?
- Around the NL East: Braves on the verge of elimination
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch