Apr 29, 2013, 10:37 PM EDT
Adam LaRoche and Chipper Jones have been close friends for years.
ATLANTA — He strolled into the Nationals clubhouse this afternoon, instantly recognizable even though he was in street clothes … and in what has always been enemy territory at Turner Field.
Chipper Jones, though, no longer plays for the Braves. And given his longstanding friendship with Adam LaRoche, the future Hall of Famer didn't have to think twice about stopping by to give the Nationals first baseman some pointers how to snap out of one of the worst slumps of his career.
"I will always help a close friend if he asks," Jones later told the Atlanta Journal Constitution.
Mired in an 0-for-26 slump that includes 13 strikeouts, LaRoche sought assistance today from his former Braves teammate and one of his closest friends in baseball. The two spent more than 30Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Williams talks Nats Sept. call-ups, plan for Nate Schierholtz
- Michael Morse returns to Nationals Park for 1st time since 2012
- Nats go for 11 straight with longtime enemy Hudson on mound
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats are on fire
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win
- Gonzalez, Nats win pitchers duel on another walk-off
- Nats' Zimmerman takes significant step in recovery