Apr 29, 2013, 10:08 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Wilson Ramos is on the active roster but isn’t starting tonight.
ATLANTA — Though he’s back on the Nationals’ active roster for the first time in two weeks, Wilson Ramos will have to wait one more day before actually rejoining the starting lineup.
Activated off the 15-day disabled list this afternoon, Ramos remained on the bench for the Nationals’ series opener against the Braves, with manager Davey Johnson not wanting to take any chances of his young catcher re-injuring his left hamstring.
“I treat hamstrings anything but lightly,” Johnson said. “If he’s OK today, he’ll play tomorrow. I’m just being overly cautious. Just conforming with medical practices today. I’d rather be safe than sorry. That’s all.”
Ramos, who hurt himself April 13 running down the first-base line, appeared in two rehab games with Class AA Harrisburg, catching three innings on Friday and then six innings on Saturday. He didn’t play or workout Sunday before joining the Nationals on their charter flight to Atlanta, which left Johnson to conclude he might still be a bit sore.
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals turn sloppy in loss to Kershaw, L.A.
- Nats' minor league affiliate playoff schedules released
- Fister faces Kershaw in marquee matchup
- Former Nats slugger Dunn to retire; will he finally make playoffs?
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win