Apr 29, 2013, 10:08 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Wilson Ramos is on the active roster but isn’t starting tonight.
ATLANTA — Though he’s back on the Nationals’ active roster for the first time in two weeks, Wilson Ramos will have to wait one more day before actually rejoining the starting lineup.
Activated off the 15-day disabled list this afternoon, Ramos remained on the bench for the Nationals’ series opener against the Braves, with manager Davey Johnson not wanting to take any chances of his young catcher re-injuring his left hamstring.
“I treat hamstrings anything but lightly,” Johnson said. “If he’s OK today, he’ll play tomorrow. I’m just being overly cautious. Just conforming with medical practices today. I’d rather be safe than sorry. That’s all.”
Ramos, who hurt himself April 13 running down the first-base line, appeared in two rehab games with Class AA Harrisburg, catching three innings on Friday and then six innings on Saturday. He didn’t play or workout Sunday before joining the Nationals on their charter flight to Atlanta, which left Johnson to conclude he might still be a bit sore.
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Sunday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Sunday's games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter
- LaRoche: Nats unlikely to bring me back in '15
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1
- Barrett's role expanding with September surge
- Strasburg starts, but several regulars sit today