Apr 30, 2013, 4:49 PM EST
|Photo by USA Today|
By Steve Roney
Atlanta has come back to Earth a bit, as they no longer hold the game's best record, ceding that title to the surprising Boston Red Sox (18-7). They do, however, still possess the only winning record in the division, as the Nationals (13-13), Phillies, and Mets all continue to hover at or just below .500. The Marlins, meanwhile, are nothing if not consistent; for the fourth straight week they check in with the worst record in the NL East (and all of baseball), and show no signs of ever bucking that trend.
Atlanta Braves (16-9): Since the last NL East roundup Atlanta has been up and down time of it, sweeping a doubleheader last Tuesday against the Rockies, then four straight losses which included a sweep at the hands of Detroit. They broke their losing streak last night against the Nationals, against whom they are now 4-0; fret not Nats fans, 15 games remain in the season series.
Early slugger Evan Gattis has regressed along with Atlanta's record, and is now batting .236. Freddie Freeman has given the lineup a boost since returning from the DL, and Justin Upton continues to leave the yard with frequency, his home run total now at 12 through 107 plate appearances. Still not a peep from the other two thirds of the outfield. Mike Minor has emerged as the rotation stalwart so far, with a 5.4 strikeout-to-walk ratio that leads the staff by double.
Player of the Week: Justin Upton, OF: 6 R, 3 HR, 6 RBI, .320 AVG
Read more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- A reason for fans of each MLB team to be thankful
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Trea Turner
- Bud Black joins Angels after missing out on Nats' manager job
- Baseball in the District – How will Nats rebuild their bullpen?
- Nats bring Henley back as third base coach
- Nats roster review: Matt Thornton
- Report: Nats interested in trading Papelbon and Storen
- Is O'Day worth the price tag to the Nationals?
- Nationals roster review: Aaron Barrett
- Nats sign pair of veterans to minor-league deals