Apr 30, 2013, 2:03 AM EST
USA Today Sports Images
Danny Espinosa gets tangled up with Dan Uggla trying to turn a double play.
Game in a nutshell: The Nationals arrived at Turner Field feeling good about themselves after a rebound weekend against the Reds. The Braves returned home reeling from a 3-7 road trip. But then the tides turned for both clubs again, with Atlanta continuing its recent domination of Washington, pulling off its eighth straight win against its NL East rivals. Stephen Strasburg gave up another first-inning run and labored all night, somehow managing to depart after six innings allowing only two runs. Julio Teheran labored even worse, allowing 10 hits over 5 1/3 innings, yet the Nationals could only plate two runs against the erratic right-hander. That turned this game into a battle of bullpens, one that was won by the Braves. Tyler Clippard gave up the go-ahead run in the bottom of the seventh, with a leadoff walk coming back to haunt him, and the Nationals couldn't produce a late rally against Atlanta's tough-as-nails bullpen. Thus, they suffered another tough loss to their chief competitors and now trail the NL East by 3 1/2 games.
Hitting lowlight: The Nationals put plenty of men on base. They just couldn't drive enough of them in. For that, you can blame some poor execution at the plate in several innings. Strasburg couldn'tRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmerman getting used to working with fellow infielders at 1B
- Zimmermann ready for game action after live BP, including one hit batter
- Strasburg talks signing of Max Scherzer, rise of Nats as franchise
- Why the Nationals don't use the shift more
- Past failures fuel Barrett to bounce back
- Phillies lose to Division II baseball team in spring exhibition
- Live BP features Scherzer, broken bat, anthem
- Marlins ace Fernandez takes big step in Tommy John recovery
- Now a Dodger, Rollins says another NL East team was his 2nd choice
- Ex-Nats prospect could start for Braves in CF