Apr 30, 2013, 2:03 AM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Danny Espinosa gets tangled up with Dan Uggla trying to turn a double play.
Game in a nutshell: The Nationals arrived at Turner Field feeling good about themselves after a rebound weekend against the Reds. The Braves returned home reeling from a 3-7 road trip. But then the tides turned for both clubs again, with Atlanta continuing its recent domination of Washington, pulling off its eighth straight win against its NL East rivals. Stephen Strasburg gave up another first-inning run and labored all night, somehow managing to depart after six innings allowing only two runs. Julio Teheran labored even worse, allowing 10 hits over 5 1/3 innings, yet the Nationals could only plate two runs against the erratic right-hander. That turned this game into a battle of bullpens, one that was won by the Braves. Tyler Clippard gave up the go-ahead run in the bottom of the seventh, with a leadoff walk coming back to haunt him, and the Nationals couldn't produce a late rally against Atlanta's tough-as-nails bullpen. Thus, they suffered another tough loss to their chief competitors and now trail the NL East by 3 1/2 games.
Hitting lowlight: The Nationals put plenty of men on base. They just couldn't drive enough of them in. For that, you can blame some poor execution at the plate in several innings. Strasburg couldn'tRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats trending up after big week
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Nationals Stock Watch: Strasburg's road struggles continue
- Aaron Barrett wins patriotic staring contest before Nats-Rockies game
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury