Apr 30, 2013, 10:40 PM EST
USA Today Sports Images
Stephen Strasburg is scheduled to start Saturday against the Pirates.
Updated at 6:40 p.m.
ATLANTA — The Nationals don’t believe Stephen Strasburg’s forearm tightness is serious and expect the right-hander to make his next scheduled start this weekend in Pittsburgh.
General manager Mike Rizzo said Strasburg had “some irritation on his forearm” in the wake of last night’s start against the Braves, but the right-hander is “healthy, happy and ready to pitch Saturday.”
The Nationals believe the nerve irritation was a result of an electric stimulation procedure Strasburg underwent as part of his typical pregame routine. He was examined by the Braves team doctor, who reported no medical issues.
“He was given a clean bill of health,” Rizzo said.
Manager Davey Johnson was less emphatic about Strasburg’s readiness for Saturday’s start against the Pirates, saying he wants to see the 24-year-old come out of tomorrow’s regular bullpen
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres