Apr 30, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Jayson Werth grimaces after fouling a ball off his left ankle last night.
ATLANTA — Stephen Strasburg's forearm tightness drew most of the attention after last night's 3-2 loss to the Braves, but Jayson Werth also was dealing with a pair of nagging injuries that could prevent the right fielder from starting tonight for the Nationals.
Werth fouled an eighth-inning pitch off his left ankle and was writhing in pain for several minutes afterward. He finished the at-bat, striking out, but then was replaced in the field by Roger Bernadina in the bottom of the inning.
Turns out the ankle injury wasn't the reason for that move, but rather a cramped hamstring that had been plaguing Werth throughout the game.
"It's tight all day, really," Werth said. "Just never really got loose. Started having some muscle cramps towards the latter part of the game. I think the inning before I had some action in right, justRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Storen returns to mound after 2-week absence
- Phillies' All-Star likely to begin season on disabled list
- Report: AL Central team interested in former Nats closer Soriano
- Zimmermann contract talks "not looking good"
- Another Nats injury: Zimmerman banged up on diving play at first
- Former Nats All-Star wins closer job with Oakland Athletics
- Harper back in lineup as Nats face Cards
- Nats make 6 cuts as roster begins to take shape
- Forbes: Nats nearly doubled in franchise value from 2014 to 2015
- Gonzalez settles down, with help from Scherzer