May 1, 2013, 7:32 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats once again try to beat the Braves tonight at Turner Field.
ATLANTA — The Nationals need a win tonight against a Braves club that has been unbeatable against them so far this season. But what the Nats really need is a healthy lineup for the first time in weeks. They won't have one tonight, with Ryan Zimmerman still two days from being eligible to come off the disabled list and Jayson Werth still sidelined by a sore hamstring and ankle.
The absence of Werth, in particular, probably prevented Davey Johnson from making one change he would have liked to use tonight: Tyler Moore at first base instead of struggling Adam LaRoche. But with Werth out, and with left-hander Paul Maholm starting for Atlanta, Moore is needed in left field, so LaRoche remains at first base.
Danny Espinosa, on the other hand, has been removed from the lineup for tonight (and likely tomorrow, as well). Steve Lombardozzi will get his shot to start at second base; he'll also hit second, ahead of Bryce Harper.
The best news for the Nationals is that Jordan Zimmermann, the starter who has given them the best chance to win so far in 2013, is on the mound. He'll be trying to pick up where he left off five night ago when he tossed a 1-hit shutout over the Reds.
Updates to come…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at ATLANTA BRAVES
Where: Turner Field
Gametime: 7:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv, ESPN (outside D.C. market)
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 72 degrees, Wind 12 mph in from RF
CF Denard Span
2B Steve Lombardozzi
RF Bryce Harper
SS Ian Desmond
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats lose to Arizona, fall out of first place
- Strasburg strong in 2nd rehab start, next stop D.C.?
- Papelbon offers advice on pennant race pressure
- Updated: Good news for Carpenter, Span close to live BP
- Nats return home hoping to get back on track vs. D'Backs
- After sweep, Vegas sees Nats and Mets trending in different directions
- Postponement gives Nats new home finale
- The Baseball Show: Is NL East up for grabs?
- State of the Nats: All tied up in the NL East
- Former National slams door as New York sweeps Washington