Game 28: Nats at Braves

May 1, 2013, 7:32 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats once again try to beat the Braves tonight at Turner Field.

ATLANTA — The Nationals need a win tonight against a Braves club that has been unbeatable against them so far this season. But what the Nats really need is a healthy lineup for the first time in weeks. They won't have one tonight, with Ryan Zimmerman still two days from being eligible to come off the disabled list and Jayson Werth still sidelined by a sore hamstring and ankle.

The absence of Werth, in particular, probably prevented Davey Johnson from making one change he would have liked to use tonight: Tyler Moore at first base instead of struggling Adam LaRoche. But with Werth out, and with left-hander Paul Maholm starting for Atlanta, Moore is needed in left field, so LaRoche remains at first base.

Danny Espinosa, on the other hand, has been removed from the lineup for tonight (and likely tomorrow, as well). Steve Lombardozzi will get his shot to start at second base; he'll also hit second, ahead of Bryce Harper.

The best news for the Nationals is that Jordan Zimmermann, the starter who has given them the best chance to win so far in 2013, is on the mound. He'll be trying to pick up where he left off five night ago when he tossed a 1-hit shutout over the Reds.

Updates to come…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at ATLANTA BRAVES
Where: Turner Field
Gametime: 7:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv, ESPN (outside D.C. market)
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 72 degrees, Wind 12 mph in from RF

CF Denard Span
2B Steve Lombardozzi
RF Bryce Harper
SS Ian Desmond

1. EmDash - May 1, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Dear Braves: pls do not hit any balls to left field. Your friends, the Nats.

2. Candide - May 1, 2013 at 7:50 PM

I guess this is about as good a lineup as Davey's going to be able to put together with both RZimm and Werth out.JZimm may well need to throw another 1-hitter tonight.

3. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 1, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Mark – Is Werth in a walking boot?

4. ptindc - May 1, 2013 at 8:01 PM

5. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 1, 2013 at 8:01 PM

This is a hungry lineup. I'm hoping the Nats can do to Maholm as what happened to him in his last outing when he was lit up.

6. baseballswami - May 1, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Two bench players and a minor leaguer. Ordinarily this would be a bad thing. Rather have Werth and Zim, but, hey , why not? All we can do is lose again. I am vowing to watch the game and chill out about the standings, the post season, etc. it'' s baseball. Go Nats! I love watching JZ pitch and you never know when Bryce will do something special. Didn 't Majolm get hit a lot in his last start?

7. Eric - May 1, 2013 at 8:09 PM

"I'm hoping the Nats can do to Maholm as what happened to him in his last outing when he was lit up."Yeah, here's hoping. The problem is, though, that the Nats have been very shaky in anything approaching a "clutch" situation, whether it be a game, 2 outs w/RISP, etc. Meanwhile, two of our most important rivals, the Cards and the Braves, seem to thrive in these situations, at least when they're playing us.And, our season start has been packed with these teams and those kinds of situations against them. This is why I continue to think that most of our woes right now, if not all of them, are a result of time-wide pressing. If so, let's hope we learn how to keep it loose the next time we hit a stretch of games like this and, even more so, the next time we make the post season.I have a funny feeling that regardless of what happens tonight and tomorrow, we'll put together a nice W-L ratio thereafter through at least the series with the Phillies at the end of May.

8. Unknown - May 1, 2013 at 8:11 PM

I hope Lombardozzi goes 4-4 with three RBIs. I never want to see Espinosa again!

9. NattieNation13 - May 1, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Dont think I've ever seen desi hitting cleanup. He's gonna need to shake his 1-17 slump with RISP if we want to win tonight…

10. Unknown - May 1, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Bernardina must be on Rizzo's hate list again or maybe Davey forgot he's still on the roster. Moore is a huge liability in LF–no field, no arm! Unless Malholm stinks up the joint, the Braves will sweep again.

11. baseballswami - May 1, 2013 at 8:15 PM

I wish these guys could just say- what the heck- and just go out there, go for broke, play the game like it's a game and let go of all of the angst. I don 't see much all out hustle, I don't see resolve, I don 't see cojones. When the other team scores first, there is not a sense of digging in and chipping away. Last year they were the never say die team. I felt like they did not score until the seventh every game.it's the same guys! Where did that go?

12. Eric - May 1, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Here's another one, which I've been filing away in "Baseball Makes me Crazy":The Nats are blowing plays and otherwise playing .500 ball to throw everyone off.Ha!

13. Ivan Tuski - May 1, 2013 at 8:18 PM

For all the poster bailing and selling their season tickets now and giving up on this team- I have two wordsJim Riggleman jump on that bandwagonGo Nats "it's May it's May that lusty month of May"

14. Diz - May 1, 2013 at 8:20 PM

I'm just glad Tim Hudson is out of the lineup.That guy is batting like Ted Williams against us.And whatever happened with that supposed team meeting that Desmond called after the game last night.Haven't heard a thing about Desi asking everyone to stay late last night after the game.

15. NatsJack in Florida - May 1, 2013 at 8:21 PM

16. baseballswami - May 1, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Shhhh! It was a double, triple top secret meeting. Who knows? It's May. It's getting warmer finally. Ramos is back with Zim on the way. The lineup is scrambled. All excuses are evaporating. I am a true fan, and I will watch, but I want to see some heart.

17. EmDash - May 1, 2013 at 8:24 PM

18. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 1, 2013 at 8:25 PM

ptindc said… As a long-time Espi supporter, I think it's past due for a benching. Something is definitely wrong there. May 01, 2013 4:01 PM It's good to hear an opinion from a long-time Espi supporter who thinks he should be benched. Espi actually looked good in most of Spring Training.When he ditched what Davey taught him to go back to that long swing it warranted a benching.

19. bowdenball - May 1, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Our guys should try to hit it to RF, as it appears the Braves don't have anyone playing there.

20. baseballswami - May 1, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Really hate the impression that Moore is some kind of lumbering moose. Sure, the outfield is still really new to him , but he plays first well and is very athletic. If you watched him on the bases last night, he is not that slow. Give the kid a break.

21. Eric - May 1, 2013 at 8:28 PM

"The players generally don't tell the media what they talked about at the team meeting, that kind of thing stays in the clubhouse."That's how it played out in August. There was big news that Davey called a meeting with the skidding Nats, and then there were wins, and that was that.

22. Section 222 - May 1, 2013 at 8:28 PM

This lineup works for me. LRLRLR is a good 1-6 order. Desi in the No. 4 hole is at least as good as Werth and better than ALR. (Maybe if TyMo has another good game, he'll be there against the next lefty.)The key, of course, is JZnn. If he can avoid the first inning problems that Stras and Gio have had the last two nights, we should be in for a good game.

23. NatsJack in Florida - May 1, 2013 at 8:29 PM

The one thing I've noticed about Espinosa is how professional he looks walking back to the dugout after a less than 3rd out K. He's got that down pat.

24. A DC Wonk - May 1, 2013 at 8:30 PM

NatsJack in Florida said… Why would anyone expect Bernadina to start against a left hander when his role will clearly be a defensive replacement for the lumbering Moore with a late inning lead?Yo, NJ, I'll tell you the same thing a bunch of guys told me:there you go using logic again . . . ;-)

25. Eric - May 1, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Re: benching struggling players, I'm never against it, I just think the decision has to factor in both offense and defense. When Espi was fielding 1000, it would've been crazy to bench him, imo. Now that he's started slipping there, too, it's a good time for a breather.

26. A DC Wonk - May 1, 2013 at 8:31 PM

This lineup works for me. LRLRLR is a good 1-6 order. Desi in the No. 4 hole is at least as good as Werth and better than ALR.Agreed. After all, he's second on the team in SLG, and is top 10 in the league in doubles and XBH's.

27. NatsJack in Florida - May 1, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Swami…..sorry but compared to the other outfielders on the 25 man that's how you describe him.

28. baseballswami - May 1, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Agreed that when it starts to show up on defense , a break is needed. I understand that the Nats are even keeled guys, don 't get too high or too low, yadda, yadda. But I would like to see a couple of these guys look less than complacent when they screw up. Not saying breaking water coolers, but a few of them are a bit too casual and blasé. Don't worry, it's just baseball, get them tomorrow. Hello? It's tomorrow!

29. baseballswami - May 1, 2013 at 8:37 PM

NstsJack- just thinking Tyler is younger, faster, more athletic and agile than Mikey was. I love BH, Span and Werth!

30. Eric - May 1, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Oh, I think the complacency about errors is a mask. If you watch their faces, they lick their lips or make some other subtle gesture that belies how they feel about it.That said, while complacency about a committed error can look bad, I'm not too worried about it as long as it doesn't become indifference when the ball's in play. And, I don't see that happening.

31. Section 222 - May 1, 2013 at 8:39 PM

With one hit and one walk in 19 PAs so far this year, I don't think the Shark will be getting any starts against even RH pitchers anytime soon. I'm afraid that the WBC really messed up his preparation for the season.

32. A DC Wonk - May 1, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Stat of the day:TyMo as a starter this year is batting .357 (which is only 5-for-14, but, still…)

33. baseballswami - May 1, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Eric- I really do think I have seen some complacency here and there creeping in. Espi. I just want to see heart and hustle. Win or lose. Don 't just hand it to the other team.

34. NatsJack in Florida - May 1, 2013 at 8:45 PM

You think our guys throw to many pitches, C.J. Wilson of Head and Shoulders fame is up to 73 through the 3rd.

35. Eric - May 1, 2013 at 8:47 PM

swami, it's certainly possible…and, I certainly haven't seen every error committed (I often listen on the radio and/or follow on at bat depending on family obligations that day/night).

36. A DC Wonk - May 1, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Only one pitcher in the NL has two complete games.

37. peric - May 1, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Its not like Werth did all that much by comparison to Moore who might be better. His best with the Nats? the 2.5 months when he was the lead-off hitter last season. And laRoche? Factor 2011 in plus his past seasons and he is average or slightly below at best.Both players are now approaching their mid-30's.Time to find out what Moore et al can do.

38. Section 222 - May 1, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Factor 2011 inNow why would you do that? It has little to nothing to do with how good or bad he is now.

39. EmDash - May 1, 2013 at 9:13 PM

40. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 1, 2013 at 9:30 PM

May Nats go 19-9.Tonight we start a 6 game winning streak.

41. Secret wasian man - May 1, 2013 at 9:33 PM

22 wins this month. Here we go.

42. Secret wasian man - May 1, 2013 at 9:39 PM

43. SonnyG10 - May 1, 2013 at 9:42 PM

EmDash said…If they're playing Moore, it should be at first base. Left field Moore is not optimal. I like him as a player, but outfield defense is not his strength.May 01, 2013 5:13 PMI agree with you EmDash. I would like to see him against right handed pitching as well as left. I think he can hit right handers just fine.

44. Eric - May 1, 2013 at 9:43 PM

19 wins? 22 wins? Should we really replace highly dashable expectations (WS) with a new set of highly dashable expectations?;)

45. Section 222 - May 1, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Baby steps folks. Baby steps. I'll be happy with having a better record than the Braves this month. Especially with the tough schedule we face, that would be an accomplishment. We play the Braves, Pirates, Tigers, Cubs,Dodgers, Padres, Giants, Phillies, and O's. All but the Cubs, Padres, and Phillies have a better record so far than we do.

46. JD - May 1, 2013 at 9:44 PM

SWM,Because he gets on base 35% of the time which after all is the object of this little game.

47. Rich P. - May 1, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Span had 38 doubles last year. Twice he has hit 10 triples in a season. That's more than enough power for a leadoff hitter. Career OBP .357.

48. Candide - May 1, 2013 at 9:47 PM

You don't get many highlights when you're fast, get good jumps and position yourself well.

49. SonnyG10 - May 1, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Secret wasian man said…Don't understand the love for Span. He has no power. Excellent in the field but so is The shark. A lot of highlights last season.May 01, 2013 5:39 PMDon't need power from Span. We need a high OBP from him. Need to have runners on base when power hitters come to bat.

50. SonnyG10 - May 1, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Hmmm…I take too long to compose. I guess I owe a few drinks to the above.

51. SonnyG10 - May 1, 2013 at 9:55 PM

I own a drink to JD and Rich P, but you guys don't seem to be listed on the drinks log.

52. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 1, 2013 at 9:55 PM

I still think the Nats have the best all around outfield in baseball with Bryce, Span and Werth.Hoping for Rendon multi-hit game tonight!

53. Steady Eddie - May 1, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Candide — and get good reads and take the most efficient routes to the ball.I like the Shark in the field, at least, but several of his highlights were, as you suggested, what he had to do to make up for missed reads or questionable routes.The very best make it look easy.

54. baseballswami - May 1, 2013 at 10:32 PM

I enjoy watching defenders who DON'T make their plays look spectacular. Span has made a few, but he usually just glides out there. Very slick. Love the way he starts the game at the plate, too. When he and Werth take lots of pitches at the top of the game it's a beautiful thing.

55. Alphabet Soup Erik - May 1, 2013 at 10:38 PM

The problem with Span is that he hasn't shown any power here with the Nats. Every team is bringing their outfield in to 10th hitter in softball depth. He has already lost at least 4 hits I can remember because they are playing him so shallow. He needs to burn these guys deep every now and then, or his average is likely to fall.

56. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 1, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Ok MccCatty make sure starter warms up correctively.

57. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 1, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Erik ,agreed the only way Span beats that drawn in LF is to burn him on shooting one over his head.

58. BxJaycobb - May 1, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Last night Andrelton Simmons may have made a mistake. Somebody was asking him about how well the braves have played against the nats and the (essentially) rookie started crowing about how much they own us…saying "I know they're not convinced we're better than them, so we're just going to keep beating those guys until they admit we're better than them." That's the kind of hubris and grandstanding that wakes a team up. Will it make up for terrible hitting and shitty pitching? Probably not, but it definitely doesn't help. I'll just say that. Seems like our locker room has been a bit of a tomb recently (though I guess Desi called a team meeting yesterday), so I welcome the hot dogging of a .230 hitter frankly.I don't care how many throws he makes from his ass. Guy hasn't earned enough stripes to act like that. Come on boys give this loser something to cry about.

59. jeffwx - May 1, 2013 at 10:58 PM

BxJaycobbDavey in a post game interview after we were swept to ATL earlier this month, commented that the braves weren't that good. It made headlines all over the South. Maybe, Davey didn't mean it but that is the way his words were interpreted.

60. jeffwx - May 1, 2013 at 11:00 PM

And all looks well for us tonight as Davey tries something different. It can't hurt…hope to see a few two baggers from TYMO, Rendon and Lombo.

61. UnkyD - May 1, 2013 at 11:08 PM

I see lots n lots of base runners for us, tonight…. GYFNGOGOGO!!!!! You guys, 3-6…. The gorse is INTOLERABLE in Atlanta….. Just Saying……HACK THAT GORSEHACK THAT GORSE

62. baseballswami - May 1, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Games are about winning and losing. Today our head trainer and strength coach saved someone's life. It has already been a good day. Kudos to Kuntz and Hsu. Awesome. CPR and defibrillator and revived the guy. Now that is a win.

63. jeffwx - May 1, 2013 at 11:14 PM

I don't understand why home plate umpires can't be replaced by a more reliable technology for balls/strikes…

64. baseballswami - May 1, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Unless your name is Desmond, swinging at the first pitch should be forbidden. Span stood in there and saw some pitches– after that, making it easy on them. Lombo never used to do that.

65. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 1, 2013 at 11:16 PM

The first inning for us hve been real weak, for opponents fairly strong.Tonight we did our normal, hope Zim will not pitch like we have lately in first.

66. baseballswami - May 1, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Did you here Carp say the attendance has only been like 19- 22 K?? In Atlanta? They are playing well. That is curious.

67. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 1, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Thanks ALR extend an inning that should be over.Was thinking our luck had changed after that first call, but players need to make plays behind him. Cost him 3 pitches. But at least no runs.

68. baseballswami - May 1, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Now– make the pitcher work!!!!!

69. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 1, 2013 at 11:25 PM

There goes the no-hitter. Can't wait for LaRoche to make some tough plays. That's 2 games in a row.

70. Amr Khani - May 1, 2013 at 11:29 PM

This is pathetic. Swing at everything. Unbelievably undisciplined approach.

71. baseballswami - May 1, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Really, hitters? REALLY??????????

72. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 1, 2013 at 11:30 PM

6 pitch inning with LaRoche swinging 1st pitch

73. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 1, 2013 at 11:33 PM

74. baseballswami - May 1, 2013 at 11:45 PM

More of the same I am afraid. Maybe in Pittsburgh? Zim will be back?? The hitters are making me weep. Can we actually call them hitters? Should we call them the 1-9 swingers instead? Oooooof.

75. baseballswami - May 1, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Andrelton Simmons is very, very good.

76. baseballswami - May 1, 2013 at 11:47 PM

If these are the hits we are getting, I will take them.

77. Gonat - May 1, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Espi could have left those 2 on-base. Come on Lombo, work your pitch!

78. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 1, 2013 at 11:49 PM

We have mostly batters not hitters.Has Lombo have any hits as a starter?

79. Gonat - May 1, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… JZim's no hitter went quickly. Need a 1st baseman who will get in front of those balls instead of doing an olé. _____________________________I've noticed over the years that the Nats corner infielders don't like to get in front of those balls and bruise themselves.I can hear my High School coach, "Stay in front of the ball!"

80. mick - May 1, 2013 at 11:49 PM

I can always find a positive and this is for Mark Z… i bet each game will receive over 200 posts because of all the anger we have towards this bust of a season

81. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 1, 2013 at 11:52 PM

ALR let another one by. Come on your a gold glover knock these things down.

82. baseballswami - May 1, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Mick- I feel myself contributing to that number. So has Adam take his batting average out to the field? Where was that gold glove on the two balls hit down the line?

83. mick - May 1, 2013 at 11:54 PM

swami …. good question.

84. Scott Margenau - May 1, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Zim couldn't make that throw

85. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 1, 2013 at 11:55 PM

@Gonat Rendon heard you and got right in front of Simmons hit.

86. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 1, 2013 at 11:56 PM

@Mick. I am not negative. I am a mirror and relect what I see.

87. mick - May 1, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Gonat… all coaches, including yours I bet yelled at least 5 times during practice "glove on ground, ball between the legs"

88. Gonat - May 1, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Manassas Nats' Fan said… @Gonat Rendon heard you and got right in front of Simmons hit. May 01, 2013 7:55 PM ____________________________I just don't see many infielders ole' those like RZ and ALR. RZ is very proficient at it but LaRoche has had 2 in 2 days get by him.

89. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM

.209 average when you take Harper and Desmond's numbers out.Eck you going to fix this?

90. Gonat - May 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM

91. Gonat - May 2, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Oh Desi!

92. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 2, 2013 at 12:02 AM

The 2 guys performing do the job. Lets follow up ALR

93. Gonat - May 2, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Mick, my coach was old style and we were glove on knee and hand on the other knee. Our 3rd baseman was a Cal Ripken guy and dangled the glove low on the ground and would tap it.

94. Gonat - May 2, 2013 at 12:03 AM

LaRoche with his best swing in weeks, even if it was caught! There we go!

95. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 2, 2013 at 12:03 AM

1 for the last 34 now. close doesnt count. you either get a hit or you don't

96. jeffwx - May 2, 2013 at 12:04 AM

hmmmm…ty mo trying too hardbut captn crunch does it…thanks ian

97. Joe Seamhead - May 2, 2013 at 12:04 AM

I think Adam must have peed in a baseball god's Wheaties. If only Tyler was playing left for the Braves….

98. jeffwx - May 2, 2013 at 12:05 AM

that was an impressive swing by alr…he's coming out of this slump

99. Gonat - May 2, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Nice job Rendon. In contrast to RZ, Rendon is almost on top of the plate.

100. baseballswami - May 2, 2013 at 12:07 AM

I like Bryce and Desi together! You have to admit Adam hit that ball better- not so weak. Time for some of these other guys to get going. I' m sorry. 15 to 20 thousand fans? Even for may 1st, that seems low for a hot team. On our worst days, we were criticized for drawing 22 in the spring on a weeknight. Yeah, they are some great fans. Just keep them from doing that horrendous chop and chant thing. Worse than the wave by miles.

101. Gonat - May 2, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Manassas Nats' Fan said… 1 for the last 34 now. close doesnt count. you either get a hit or you don't May 01, 2013 8:03 PM ______________________________For a guy who is struggling, that was his best swing in 2 weeks and that's a good sign. Yes, 1-34.

102. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 2, 2013 at 12:10 AM

now an important shut down inning

103. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 2, 2013 at 12:11 AM

@Gonats better than K

104. NatsJack in Florida - May 2, 2013 at 12:12 AM

All these foul balls are running up Jordans pitch count.

105. NatsJack in Florida - May 2, 2013 at 12:13 AM

And a sweet change to Freeman.

106. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 2, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Positive alert (though really just a mirror)Good inning JZim.Mike Winters is a joke behind the plate.

107. Gonat - May 2, 2013 at 12:19 AM

NatsJack, all that late movement is certainly creating lots of foul balls.WaPo wrote all about the JZim changeup today.

108. Gonat - May 2, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Manassas Nats' Fan said… Mike Winters is a joke behind the plate. May 01, 2013 8:16 PM ______________________________Mike Winters has been consistently bad except the K of Denard Span in the 1st inning.

109. Gonat - May 2, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Darn, Lombo, you are now Espinosa. Are you kidding me? Work the guy!!!!!!! Bring up Kobernus! LOL

110. Candide - May 2, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Lombardozzi's not seeing many pitches. Need Werth back at #2, RZimm at #4.

111. NatsJack in Florida - May 2, 2013 at 12:23 AM

I see Lombo took "work the count" lessons from Espinosa.

112. Joe Seamhead - May 2, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Wow, great sequence from JZIMM to Uugla!

113. Candide - May 2, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Just wondering… Do the pitchers find people apparently walking out from underground behind the plate distracting?

114. Candide - May 2, 2013 at 12:27 AM

F.P. just called JZimm "ace on the staff."Should officially take the burden off Strasburg's shoulders.

115. Gonat - May 2, 2013 at 12:28 AM

JZ with a Cholulua Hot Sauce extra velo fastball for the K of Upton. Wowee!!!

116. Joe Seamhead - May 2, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Great sequence for the whole inning!

117. Gonat - May 2, 2013 at 12:30 AM

NatsJack in Florida said… I see Lombo took "work the count" lessons from Espinosa. May 01, 2013 8:23 PM __________________________I will take a Bud Light. LOLPathetic, huh!

118. Gonat - May 2, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Did LaRoche see what Freddie Freeman just did with that laser from Bryce?

119. Joe Seamhead - May 2, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Harper hurt alert?

120. waddu eye no - May 2, 2013 at 12:35 AM

ah jeez…..

121. Gonat - May 2, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Oh no, Bryce Harper hurt his something.

122. Candide - May 2, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Crap. Remember how long Morse was out last year with a strained oblique?

123. Sj - May 2, 2013 at 12:38 AM

ALR….just can't get anything going……….

124. Jeff Wang - May 2, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Mommy make it stooooppp

125. NatsJack in Florida - May 2, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Not good.

126. Exposremains - May 2, 2013 at 12:39 AM

I don't care if JZim throws 130 pitches. I don't the walk-the-park bullpen ruined this one.You know that's what the BRaves are waiting for.

127. Sj - May 2, 2013 at 12:40 AM

JZ is da man 2nite.

128. Gonat - May 2, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Bryce says he's a quick healer. Let's hope!

129. NatsJack in Florida - May 2, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Great lumbering Tyler.

130. Gonat - May 2, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Thank you Andrelton Simmons for a 1 pitch out.

131. Gonat - May 2, 2013 at 12:42 AM

87 pitches for Jordan should get him 1 more inning and hopefully 2 more!

132. Candide - May 2, 2013 at 12:42 AM

MicheleS tweets: This is what happens when Carp and @FightinHydrant start talking about the wave. Bryce is out of the game #KilltheWave

133. Sj - May 2, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Keep the steers in the pen as long as humanly possible!

134. Joe Seamhead - May 2, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Well, we have Lombo, Rendon, Tyler, Shark. Damn, Davey, Wadda you doing?" LOL! And they come through! I like my crow seasoned with the sweet taste of victory!

135. Candide - May 2, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Says something about JZimm's total command when the Barves are trying to bunt for a hit.

136. Gonat - May 2, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Contrast of approaches between Espi, Lombo, and Rendon.Rendon never panics, not even in 2 strike counts. I like his demeanor up there. He doesn't have a lot to show BA wise but I like what I am seeing.

137. Joe Seamhead - May 2, 2013 at 12:48 AM

I missed a Harper home run last year because of the stupid wave. Count me in the anti-wave camp.

138. Gonat - May 2, 2013 at 12:52 AM

I think JZ has decided to mix in a few K's tonight. Wowee!!!

139. TimDz - May 2, 2013 at 12:53 AM

What will it take to sign Znn to an extension?I'm not expecting any response here, as the cliques only talk amongst themselves…..

140. Gonat - May 2, 2013 at 12:54 AM

This is fun!

141. NatsJack in Florida - May 2, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Rendon is the real deal, Gonat. He just needs a couple of months of playing every day in the minors. He's never played more than 60 consecutive days in over 3 years.

142. Candide - May 2, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Couple of us killed a wave last year at Nats Park. When it got started, we just started yelling, "STOP DOING THE WAVE!!! STOP IT!!! STOP IT!!!"And it worked! It was only two or three of us at first, but a few more people took it up, and by the time the wave reached our area, it just kinda died on the shoals.Keep that in your pocket the next time some assclown starts a wave at Nats Park.

143. Exposremains - May 2, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Strasburg has a lot to learn from JZim and Gio as well. Stras needs go back to his killer look from 2010 and Gio needs to stop thinking everything is funny.

144. baseballswami - May 2, 2013 at 12:58 AM

I would just like to point out that Tyler Moore made a very nice running catch in left field. Not anything Soan- like, but there was certainly no lumbering involved.

145. jeffwx - May 2, 2013 at 12:58 AM

an oblique..who does Peric bring up now

146. baseballswami - May 2, 2013 at 12:59 AM

That would be Span- like.

147. Sj - May 2, 2013 at 1:00 AM

JZ on cruise control!

148. jeffwx - May 2, 2013 at 1:00 AM

tymo is out there to hit…

149. Exposremains - May 2, 2013 at 1:02 AM

I don't remember Lombo swinging at everything. He used to work the count.

150. Gonat - May 2, 2013 at 1:02 AM

NatsJack, best AB's tonight are from Span, Bryce, Desi, Rendon and JZ.

151. Sj - May 2, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Please no Ty Clip!

152. jeffwx - May 2, 2013 at 1:06 AM

now i know what it was like to watch Big Train in the dead ball era…go JZ

153. Gonat - May 2, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Best back to back pitching performances in Nationals history!!!

154. baseballswami - May 2, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Agreed about Lombo. Used to have one of the best approaches on the team. He had been watching his fellow middle infielders too much.

155. Gonat - May 2, 2013 at 1:08 AM

I really thought JZ deserved another 1 hitter or better as JUp's ball hit right at LaRoche has to be played in front of him. The Maholm just eluded LaRoche by inches.

156. Exposremains - May 2, 2013 at 1:09 AM

The Nats are winning because of the 3 guys that have done something good for this team this year.

157. Jim Webster - May 2, 2013 at 1:11 AM

J'Zimm is the new Jesus. Stras has abdicated the title.

158. NatsJack in Florida - May 2, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Gonat…no chance. That ball was smoked by Justin. It was a hit all the way.

159. Jim Webster - May 2, 2013 at 1:13 AM

J'Zimm is the new Jesus. Stras has abdicated the title.

160. Sj - May 2, 2013 at 1:15 AM

ALR is hurtin……

161. Joe Seamhead - May 2, 2013 at 1:16 AM

162. MicheleS - May 2, 2013 at 1:17 AM

TUCK IN PEOPLE!

163. Exposremains - May 2, 2013 at 1:17 AM

This might be a big mistake.

164. Gonat - May 2, 2013 at 1:17 AM

It's the right move by Davey. RSoriano is here for saves. To bring JZ back out would have been for stats.

165. Section 222 - May 2, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Just got home and turned on the game. All tucked and ready to go!

166. realdealnats - May 2, 2013 at 1:20 AM

disagree. When you're dealing like Jordan, leave him in for the 9th.

167. Candide - May 2, 2013 at 1:22 AM

168. MicheleS - May 2, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Come on Rafi!

169. jeffwx - May 2, 2013 at 1:25 AM

We beat the Braves!!!!stop the chop

170. MicheleS - May 2, 2013 at 1:25 AM

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO!!! JORDAN IS A BEAST!!! UNTUCK EVERYONE!

171. Candide - May 2, 2013 at 1:25 AM

UNTUCK!

172. Section 222 - May 2, 2013 at 1:26 AM

UNTUCK!!

173. Steady Eddie - May 2, 2013 at 1:26 AM

UNTUCK!

174. realdealnats - May 2, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Soriano looked good. Still would have stayed with Jordan.

175. Gonat - May 2, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Untuck!

176. Sj - May 2, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Untuck!

177. Exposremains - May 2, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Thanks Sori! Professional

178. jeffwx - May 2, 2013 at 1:26 AM

untuck!?

179. realdealnats - May 2, 2013 at 1:27 AM

But everyone's happy on this end. Good game. Hope Harp isn't hurt too bad.

180. Sj - May 2, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Wazzup wid Bryce?

181. Gonat - May 2, 2013 at 1:28 AM

realdealnats said… Soriano looked good. Still would have stayed with Jordan. May 01, 2013 9:26 PM ___________________________As I said at 9:17PM, it's team over stats. This is what you got Rafael Soriano for.Well done Davey.

182. Joe Seamhead - May 2, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Soriano shut Simmons up at the end. Wooo Hooo!

183. Joe Seamhead - May 2, 2013 at 1:30 AM

It's a marathon. Soriano is here for a reason. We want Jordon in Sept, & Oct.

184. Scott Margenau - May 2, 2013 at 1:31 AM

I am untucked!! Notice offense again :(

185. Scott Margenau - May 2, 2013 at 1:32 AM

186. Candide - May 2, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Look out Don Drysdale!

187. Section 222 - May 2, 2013 at 1:36 AM

I don't think it would have been "for stats" if Davey had left Znn in, it would have been because he thought it gave us the best chance to win. But he also has to think ahead. Znn was over 100 pitches, but not by much. By taking him out now (and with Rafi ready the dropoff in win probability wasn't much), the chances of a third straight excellent outing are increased.

188. realdealnats - May 2, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Gonat–I don't see it as that either/or choice. Obviously Davey knows more than all of us and we all just BS here for fun, but sometimes I think it's good to actually forget the stats! Forget sticking to the regimen of always closing with the closer at all costs. Sometimes when you have a hot hand like tonight as late as the 8th, stay with it until you see a sign of let up. Pitch count within the realm of reason of course. But even push pitch count on certain rare occasions. Personally I don't care if Jordan gets a 3rd complete game, it's just that I think there are certain times when the situation of going with who's hot should dictate.

189. Candide - May 2, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Boswell tweets: "Bringing in Soriano is the right move whether it works or not. Z'mann over 109 pitches only once in career. Bombed in playoffs next game."