May 1, 2013, 1:42 AM EDT
Bryce Harper tips Tim Hudson's fifth-inning drive over the fence.
Game in a nutshell: In a word: Ugly. Hoping to bounce back after a tough loss last night, the Nationals laid an egg to their chief NL East rivals, right from the start. Gio Gonzalez was rocked for five runs and lasted only four innings. Tim Hudson, meanwhile, cruised yet again against a Nationals franchise he has now beaten 16 times in his career (most of any opposing franchise). This one was extra special for the veteran right-hander, who recorded his 200th win in the process. He even connected for his third career homer, with an assist from Bryce Harper, who leaped at the wall to try to snag Hudson's fifth-inning drive but only wound up deflecting the ball over the fence. Losers of three straight, the Nationals fell back below the .500 mark (13-14) and now have dropped nine consecutive games to Atlanta, dating back to last season.
Hitting lowlight: Take your pick in this department, but let's point out the lowest of the lows on a night full of lows: The bottom of the seventh inning. Ian Desmond actually led off with a triple into theRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win
- Phillies call up top prospect for September
- Nationals open big series in Los Angeles
- Astros fire manager Bo Porter, who came from Nats
- Nationals promote 6 players in September call-ups
- State of the Nats: Nationals-Dodgers could be playoff preview
- Nats' numbers in August were off the charts
- Three homers not enough in 5-3 Nationals loss to Seattle
- Nationals go for series sweep in Seattle
- Strasburg pitches gem as Nats beat Mariners 3-1