May 1, 2013, 1:42 AM EDT
Bryce Harper tips Tim Hudson's fifth-inning drive over the fence.
Game in a nutshell: In a word: Ugly. Hoping to bounce back after a tough loss last night, the Nationals laid an egg to their chief NL East rivals, right from the start. Gio Gonzalez was rocked for five runs and lasted only four innings. Tim Hudson, meanwhile, cruised yet again against a Nationals franchise he has now beaten 16 times in his career (most of any opposing franchise). This one was extra special for the veteran right-hander, who recorded his 200th win in the process. He even connected for his third career homer, with an assist from Bryce Harper, who leaped at the wall to try to snag Hudson's fifth-inning drive but only wound up deflecting the ball over the fence. Losers of three straight, the Nationals fell back below the .500 mark (13-14) and now have dropped nine consecutive games to Atlanta, dating back to last season.
Hitting lowlight: Take your pick in this department, but let's point out the lowest of the lows on a night full of lows: The bottom of the seventh inning. Ian Desmond actually led off with a triple into theRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals deal with unfamiliar event: A loss
- Nats fall to Giants, win streak snapped at 10
- Williams talks Nats Sept. call-ups, plan for Nate Schierholtz
- Michael Morse returns to Nationals Park for 1st time since 2012
- Nats go for 11 straight with longtime enemy Hudson on mound
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats are on fire
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win