May 1, 2013, 10:32 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Nationals head trainer Lee Kuntz with manager Davey Johnson on Monday.
Updated at 8:45 p.m.
ATLANTA — Two members of the Nationals’ training staff thought they helped save a man’s life Wednesday afternoon, reviving a cameraman who suffered an apparent heart attack at Turner Field, only to learn later in the evening he died at an Atlanta hospital.
Reuben Porras, 61, was working for MLB Network, setting up in a media workroom underneath the stadium around noon, when he collapsed. A colleague rushed down the hallway and found Nationals head athletic trainer Lee Kuntz and training assistant John Hsu, who were in the nearby visiting weight room.
Kuntz and Hsu grabbed an automated external defibrillator that had only been installed in the visiting clubhouse a week ago and rushed to the aid of Porras, who had lost consciousness and wasn’t breathing. Kuntz used the AED machine and CPR to revive the man, then waited for paramedics to arrive.
Porras was taken to a nearby hospital and admitted to the ICU. Kuntz was still awaiting word of his fate shortly before the start of the Nationals’ game against the Braves. He later was informed Porras had died.
Kuntz said he and his entire staff receive CPR training each spring, though this was the first time he’d needed to use it at the ballpark.
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats' minor league affiliate playoff schedules released
- Fister faces Kershaw in marquee matchup
- Former Nats slugger Dunn to retire; will he finally make playoffs?
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win
- Phillies call up top prospect for September