May 1, 2013, 10:32 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Nationals head trainer Lee Kuntz with manager Davey Johnson on Monday.
Updated at 8:45 p.m.
ATLANTA — Two members of the Nationals’ training staff thought they helped save a man’s life Wednesday afternoon, reviving a cameraman who suffered an apparent heart attack at Turner Field, only to learn later in the evening he died at an Atlanta hospital.
Reuben Porras, 61, was working for MLB Network, setting up in a media workroom underneath the stadium around noon, when he collapsed. A colleague rushed down the hallway and found Nationals head athletic trainer Lee Kuntz and training assistant John Hsu, who were in the nearby visiting weight room.
Kuntz and Hsu grabbed an automated external defibrillator that had only been installed in the visiting clubhouse a week ago and rushed to the aid of Porras, who had lost consciousness and wasn’t breathing. Kuntz used the AED machine and CPR to revive the man, then waited for paramedics to arrive.
Porras was taken to a nearby hospital and admitted to the ICU. Kuntz was still awaiting word of his fate shortly before the start of the Nationals’ game against the Braves. He later was informed Porras had died.
Kuntz said he and his entire staff receive CPR training each spring, though this was the first time he’d needed to use it at the ballpark.
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win
- Gonzalez, Nats win pitchers duel on another walk-off
- Nats' Zimmerman takes significant step in recovery
- Nationals aim for team record 10th straight win vs. D-Backs
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return