May 1, 2013, 4:02 PM EDT
|Photo by USA Today|
By Michael Huberman
The Nationals just completed an up-and-down April in which they went 13-14, the first losing month they’ve had since August 2011. They took three of four from the Cincinnati Reds last week, but have now lost two in a row to the Atlanta Braves. Here’s a look at five players who were hot, and five players who were not over the past seven days.
Jordan Zimmermann, SP – 1-0/0.00 ERA/9 IP/4 SO/0.22 WHIP
Simply put, Zimmermann is one the most dominant pitchers in all of baseball right now. His complete game shutout against Cincinnati was a lesson in beauty and efficiency, as Zimmermann gave up just one hit while throwing only 91 pitches. He currently ranks tied for second in wins (4), fifth in WHIP (0.86), ninth in batting average against (.186), and leads all of baseball with two complete games.
Ian Desmond, SS – 10-26/2 2B/4 R/.407 OBP/.946 OPS
Desmond’s 10-for-26 (.385) run over the past seven days concluded a successful April for the 27-year-old. It’s only been a month, but right now Desmond’s offensive numbers put him in elite company among all major league shortstops. Currently, he ranks fourth in average (.301), fourth in slugging percentage (.524), second in doubles (11), and tied for third in hits (34).
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Consistency propels Nationals to NL's best record
- Nationals hang on to beat Reds 4-2
- Instant analysis: Reds 1, Nationals 0
- Roark, Nats win 4-1, hand Reds seventh-straight loss
- Denard Span leading the way for Nats in July
- Roark, Nats look to bounce back in Game 100 of 2014 season
- The Baseball Show: Should the Nats make a trade? (VIDEO)
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats trending up after big week
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole