May 1, 2013, 10:54 PM EST
USA Today Sports Images
Jayson Werth grimaces after fouling a ball off his left ankle Monday night.
ATLANTA — Out of the Nationals' lineup for the second straight game, right fielder Jayson Werth was due to undergo an X-ray of his left ankle, still swollen badly after he fouled a pitch off it during Monday night's game.
Werth didn't have reason to believe he broke any bones, "but after two days, you run out of things to do. You can only ice for so long."
Werth has yet to really test the ankle since injuring it in the eighth inning of Monday's game. He jogged a bit on Tuesday but refrained from any other physical activity. He did taking batting practice before tonight's game.
Werth said he'd never hit a foul ball off his ankle quite like that before, specifically in that location (directly on the inside ankle bone).
"This is just a bad spot," he said. "The doc yesterday said it's kind of a sensitive area, with nerves running right through there. He was saying that a quarter-inch either way and it would've been evenRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Trea Turner
- Bud Black joins Angels after missing out on Nats' manager job
- Baseball in the District – How will Nats rebuild their bullpen?
- Nats bring Henley back as third base coach
- Nats roster review: Matt Thornton
- Report: Nats interested in trading Papelbon and Storen
- Is O'Day worth the price tag to the Nationals?
- Nationals roster review: Aaron Barrett
- Nats sign pair of veterans to minor-league deals
- Rizzo happy to bring reliever Sean Burnett back to Nats