May 1, 2013, 10:54 PM EST
USA Today Sports Images
Jayson Werth grimaces after fouling a ball off his left ankle Monday night.
ATLANTA — Out of the Nationals' lineup for the second straight game, right fielder Jayson Werth was due to undergo an X-ray of his left ankle, still swollen badly after he fouled a pitch off it during Monday night's game.
Werth didn't have reason to believe he broke any bones, "but after two days, you run out of things to do. You can only ice for so long."
Werth has yet to really test the ankle since injuring it in the eighth inning of Monday's game. He jogged a bit on Tuesday but refrained from any other physical activity. He did taking batting practice before tonight's game.
Werth said he'd never hit a foul ball off his ankle quite like that before, specifically in that location (directly on the inside ankle bone).
"This is just a bad spot," he said. "The doc yesterday said it's kind of a sensitive area, with nerves running right through there. He was saying that a quarter-inch either way and it would've been evenRead more »
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats roster preview: Yunel Escobar
- Final thoughts on the Max Scherzer signing
- Veteran C John Buck signs with Braves, his eighth MLB team
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- How big of a haul could the Nats get for trading Stephen Strasburg?
- New MLB commissioner Manfred suggests banning defensive shifts
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Ian Desmond
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- PHOTO: Max Scherzer takes out full-page ad to thank Tigers fans
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees