May 2, 2013, 10:38 PM EDT
Bryce Harper bruised his ribs trying to make this play Tuesday night.
ATLANTA — Bryce Harper expressed hope he would show up to Turner Field today, “feel like a million bucks and play.” The 20-year-old slugger’s health may not quite be up to that lofty level, but he does feel well enough to rejoin the Nationals’ lineup for tonight’s series finale against the Braves.
Not to be outdone, teammate Jayson Werth also has recovered enough from ankle and hamstring injuries to start this game, giving manager Davey Johnson his full outfield once again.
Johnson waited to make his lineup official until both Harper and Werth had a chance to take batting practice late this afternoon, but each player came out of that warmup session reporting no issues — each launched a couple of home runs — so they were inserted into the starting lineup, Harper hitting third and playing left field, Werth hitting cleanup and playing right field.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason
- Nats finding ways to stay sharp (VIDEO)
- Games 1 and 2 at Nationals Park will be matinees
- Revisiting Opening Day predictions on the Nats
- Zimmermann named NL Player of the Week for 2nd time this year