May 2, 2013, 1:25 AM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Ian Desmond rounds the bases after his fourth-inning homer.
Game in a nutshell: In a game the Nationals absolutely needed to win, who better to send to the mound than Jordan Zimmermann? The right-hander once again was brilliant, tossing eight scoreless innings, allowing only two hits and striking out eight. The Nationals didn't offer him much run support, but they got the one big blow they needed when Ian Desmond launched a two-run homer in the top of the fourth. They also suffered another potentially crushing injury when Bryce Harper appeared to tweak something on a sixth-inning swing and had to leave the game. No matter, Zimmermann took care of things for eight innings, then handed it over to Rafael Soriano to close out the ninth. Thus the Nationals finally beat the Braves for the first time in 10 tries and got themselves back to the .500 mark with one more game to go in this big series.
Hitting highlight: Desmond had never hit cleanup before in the big leagues, but he certainly looked comfortable in the role tonight. Pressed into services with Jayson Werth and Ryan ZimmermanRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals turn sloppy in loss to Kershaw, L.A.
- Nats' minor league affiliate playoff schedules released
- Fister faces Kershaw in marquee matchup
- Former Nats slugger Dunn to retire; will he finally make playoffs?
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win