May 2, 2013, 3:47 AM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Jordan Zimmermann tossed eight more scoreless innings to improve to 5-1.
ATLANTA — While Stephen Strasburg and Gio Gonzalez battled their way through the season’s first month, their inconsistency mirroring the Nationals’ overall up-and-down performance, Jordan Zimmermann simply took the ball every fifth day and did everything within his power to pitch his team to victory.
So when the Nationals took the field Wednesday night at Turner Field, desperate to beat a Braves club that had dominated them in five previous meetings this season, who better than Zimmermann to lead the way?
Who knows how the Nationals’ rotation will be aligned come season’s end, who will be designated staff ace and who will bring up the rear? Make no mistake, though: Right now, Zimmermann is the best pitcher on this staff. He’s also legitimately among the very best pitchers in baseball.
“There’s no question about it,” manager Davey Johnson said following a 2-0 victory over Atlanta. “We needed that one bad, and he went out there and pitched a blueprint game. That was outstanding.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Fister pitches Nationals to 2nd straight 1-0 win over Mets
- Span returns to Nats lineup after missing several games
- Gonzalez' pitching leads Nats over Mets
- Anthony Rendon has another setback in rehab from MCL sprain
- Gio starts as Nationals face Mets in New York
- Nats have had enough of the 8th inning
- Nats fall to Mets as Harvey bests Scherzer
- MLB amends rule involving Nats' top prospect
- Scherzer faces Harvey in marquee matchup
- Good news for Nats regarding Anthony Rendon's rehab