May 3, 2013, 3:55 AM EDT
Dan Haren allowed just one run and four hits in eight stellar innings.
ATLANTA — As dominant and as efficient as he’d been all night, Dan Haren was showing some signs of fatigue in the bottom of the eighth inning Thursday night. Despite having allowed only one run and four hits to the Braves, the veteran right-hander was suddenly in a spot where one bad pitch could result in a game-tying homer.
So as Davey Johnson made the slow walk from the Nationals’ dugout to the mound, Haren (like everyone else at Turner Field) knew what was next.
“He was gonna take the ball from me,” the right-hander said.
Not so fast. Johnson’s intention may have been to signal for Drew Storen out of the bullpen, but first he needed the answer to one question.
“Heck of a ballgame. How you feeling?” Johnson asked.
“I feel great,” Haren replied.
“Good,” Johnson fired back. “I’m out of here.”
Having just been given a resounding vote of confidence, Haren promptly rewarded his manager for the decision. He struck out Chris Johnson to end the eighth and pumped his fist as he skipped off the mound, having laid the groundwork for a 3-1 victory, the Nationals’ second straight over a Braves club that had looked unbeatable to that point.
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Three homers not enough in 5-3 Nationals loss to Seattle
- Nationals go for series sweep in Seattle
- Strasburg pitches gem as Nats beat Mariners 3-1
- Manny Pacquiao to throw first pitch before Nats-Dodgers game
- Mets could lose Murphy for rest of season
- Nats blast King Felix, open series vs. Mariners with win
- Zimmermann, Nats get huge test with King Felix out in Seattle
- Nats extend contract with Single-A Hagerstown
- The Baseball Show: Williams for Manager of the Year?
- MLB Power Rankings: L.A. Angels flying high