May 3, 2013, 7:23 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nationals are at beautiful PNC Park for a weekend series with the Pirates.
PITTSBURGH — Hello from what, in my humble opinion, is the best ballpark in America: PNC Park. Every time I gaze out at that vista from the press box, I have to remind myself I'm looking at reality, not a painting.
The Nationals are in town for a weekend series that won't be a piece of cake. The Pirates are playing very good baseball, and tonight they'll send veteran A.J. Burnett (your current NL strikeouts leader) to the mound. The Nats will counter with a lineup bolstered by the return of Ryan Zimmerman though lacking Jayson Werth (who will likely miss several days after re-tweaking his hamstring last night in Atlanta).
Interesting lineup from Davey Johnson, with Ian Desmond bumped up to Werth's 2-spot, and with Bryce Harper in left field while Tyler Moore is in right field. My hunch on that unorthodox outfield alignment: Left field is much more spacious here than right field is, so Davey probably prefers to have Harper patrolling all that ground.
Ross Detwiler gets the start for the Nationals, looking to do what Jordan Zimmermann and Dan Haren did so effectively the last two nights. Updates to come…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at PITTSBURGH PIRATES
Where: PNC Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 184
Weather: Clear, 68 degrees, Wind 12 mph in from LF
CF Denard Span
SS Ian Desmond
LF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats ride strong pitching to shutout win
- Scherzer on mound as Nats try to take series
- Papelbon aiming for saves record, hopes to co-exist with Storen
- On Harper's blasts and Nats' new-look pen
- Report: Phillies trade Cole Hamels to AL West team
- Mets SS cries on field after learning of trade that didn't happen
- Harper homers twice into upper deck, Nats beat Marlins 7-2
- Report: Mets' trade for All-Star falls through
- Marlins get payback, play fart noises during Nats batting practice
- Nats hope to bounce back in Miami with Fister starting