Game 30: Nats at Pirates

May 3, 2013, 7:23 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nationals are at beautiful PNC Park for a weekend series with the Pirates.

PITTSBURGH — Hello from what, in my humble opinion, is the best ballpark in America: PNC Park. Every time I gaze out at that vista from the press box, I have to remind myself I'm looking at reality, not a painting.

The Nationals are in town for a weekend series that won't be a piece of cake. The Pirates are playing very good baseball, and tonight they'll send veteran A.J. Burnett (your current NL strikeouts leader) to the mound. The Nats will counter with a lineup bolstered by the return of Ryan Zimmerman though lacking Jayson Werth (who will likely miss several days after re-tweaking his hamstring last night in Atlanta).

Interesting lineup from Davey Johnson, with Ian Desmond bumped up to Werth's 2-spot, and with Bryce Harper in left field while Tyler Moore is in right field. My hunch on that unorthodox outfield alignment: Left field is much more spacious here than right field is, so Davey probably prefers to have Harper patrolling all that ground.

Ross Detwiler gets the start for the Nationals, looking to do what Jordan Zimmermann and Dan Haren did so effectively the last two nights. Updates to come…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at PITTSBURGH PIRATES
Where: PNC Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 184
Weather: Clear, 68 degrees, Wind 12 mph in from LF

CF Denard Span
SS Ian Desmond
LF Bryce Harper

1. NatsJack in Florida - May 3, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Espinosa at 2b? Espinosa Stinks!

2. Eric - May 3, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Nice to see most of our starters back in place. This would be a great night for the bats to awake in force!

3. livernonions - May 3, 2013 at 7:35 PM

An English to Pittsburghese translator in case you need it, Mark.http://www.pittsburghese.com/translator.shtml

4. baseballswami - May 3, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Remember what Espi said about getting back into the lineup? Will that motivate him to have smart at bats and keep his head in the game defensively? Or will he continue to press and swing for the five run homer every pitch? Errors have been down or zero lately. Is that because they are more focused or because Espi and Zim were not on the field? Hoping for good stuff from Det, smart at bats and clean defense.

5. EmDash - May 3, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Interesting stat of the day: as a team, the Pirates are currently batting .193/.264/.291 vs. lefty starters. May that continue today.Desi's on a hot streak, but I don't know about him batting second. Not a guy who's going to see a lot of pitches…

6. Eric - May 3, 2013 at 7:45 PM

I suppose it depends on how Burnett works. Is he the kind of guy you want to pounce on, a la Haren (as per Carp and FP last night), because of a nasty strike out pitch?

7. Manassas Nats' Fan - May 3, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Hope poor hitting against lefties happen Sunday too.I am in section 115 all 3 gamesw

8. bowdenball - May 3, 2013 at 7:51 PM

EmDash said…"Desi's on a hot streak, but I don't know about him batting second. Not a guy who's going to see a lot of pitches…"I hear you, but who else in that lineup do you put second? Espi hasn't been seeing a lot of pitches either this season. Moore and LaRoche have OBPs under .220 this season and can't run. Davey likes hitting the catchers 8th to reduce the physical burden on them. Would be fun to move Harper up to 2, but that ain't happening. You're kind of stuck with a middle infielder batting second on this team if Werth is out.

9. JD - May 3, 2013 at 7:54 PM

' Would be fun to move Harper up to 2, but that ain't happening.' That's exactly what I'd like to see happen. Span, Harper, Zim, LaRoche, Desmond, Moore, Espi, Suzuki would be my lineup.

10. Exposremains - May 3, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Espinosa gets benched for 2 days. Big deal. DJ really loves him. About sitting for the Pirates series. What happens if he looks the same tonight? Does he get benched again? If I'm Lombo, I'm really wondering what I need to do to get the respect Espinosa gets in this organization.

11. NatsLady - May 3, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Welcome back, Ryan! So, Werth did tweak his hamstring last night after everyone knew it was chancy. Go with your first instinct, Davey! Sit him as long as necessary.

12. IKN8wxU2 - May 3, 2013 at 7:59 PM

I'm actually happy to see Danny back in the lineup, because he's clearly better defensively (probably even more important with Detwiler on the mound) and because the sooner he turns around his hitting the sooner the Nats start to reach their potential. I've got to think his BABIP has to even out. He and LaRoche have had a lot of hard hit balls get caught.

13. NatsLady - May 3, 2013 at 8:01 PM

The blogroll is three days (and two posts) behind. I can't figure out if there is anything I can do about it, I know Mark has tried. If you are interested, just click on the "Lady and the Nats" and you will see the most recent stuff on Opening Day Starters and a comparison between the Nats and the Twins. I've tried to get my stuff on baseball reference, but apparently they have the same problem. Luckily, I'm not making my living as a blogger. :) I have a post ready on Jeff Locke, tomorrow's starter which I'll put up soon. I'd call him a crafty lefty (definitely NOT a fireballer)–except the "crafty" part remains to be seen.

14. EmDash - May 3, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Yeah, I guess it's hard to say who to put second. Jeff Locke's FIP is much higher than his ERA, which could indicate a certain degree of luck his going on for him so far. Of course, that's true to a lesser extent for Detwiler and Zimmermann too, so it could be he's just an extreme groundball guy that tends to get underestimated by that stat. And god knows the Nats haven't been great at hitting lefties either this season…

15. Another_Sam - May 3, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Nice to see RZ back in the lineup, but . . . what a difference it was watching several games where the entire infield could make that over the top throw. I sure hope that RZ can get a handle on that throwing.

16. peric - May 3, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Espinosa doesn't stink you do dude … to high heaven.

17. Janus - May 3, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Couple days late but my prediction of Desi in the 2 spot actually happened.

18. JD - May 3, 2013 at 8:15 PM

NatsJack, The trouble with you is that you are not clear with your opinions. How do you really feel about Espi?

19. JaneB - May 3, 2013 at 8:16 PM

GYFNG!

20. sajfh.fgck.jasd.KLGV.Ksdg - May 3, 2013 at 8:18 PM

"NatsJack in Florida said… Espinosa at 2b? Espinosa Stinks!"(a) He is who he is, and he'll never improve if all he does is sit on the bench. Likewise, he's not going to unlearn any bad habits by being sent down to face minor league pitching.(b) If you've ever listened to Phil Wood's postgame call-in show, by far the majority of calls he receives are anti-Espinosa tirades. Phil says there are other teams inquiring about him all the time, yet so far Rizzo has refused to trade him. Still, Phil Wood thinks the most likely outcome for Espinosa is a trade. So perhaps you should join with Phil and change your mantra to "Trade Espinosa!"

21. baseballswami - May 3, 2013 at 8:20 PM

22. Eric - May 3, 2013 at 8:21 PM

I do think NatsJack has the right approach, even if I disagree. It's *always* best to start off with a negative note.

23. sajfh.fgck.jasd.KLGV.Ksdg - May 3, 2013 at 8:24 PM

"baseballswami said… I think Desi can hit in any spot in the lineup. He might not change how he does things or behave according to the handbook. But it 's not going to affect him or bother him. Pretty unflappable."He was a terrible leadoff hitter when Davey put him there to start the 2012 season.

24. NatsJack in Florida - May 3, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Of course I stink. I just finished cutting the grass here in Florida after 9 days in DC and the past 4 days of rain.Lawn was thick!

25. peric - May 3, 2013 at 8:26 PM

And I still think PAC Bell is the best park.

26. NatsJack in Florida - May 3, 2013 at 8:27 PM

I'll stop my mantra when Danny reaches .230 (which still stinks).

27. bowdenball - May 3, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Exposremains said…"If I'm Lombo, I'm really wondering what I need to do to get the respect Espinosa gets in this organization."I agree. How do you bench a guy who is 1 for his last 22 with 1 walk and no extra base hits? Look no further, baseball fans- we've found your NL starter at second base for the 2013 All-Star game.

28. peric - May 3, 2013 at 8:29 PM

I just cycled 30 miles and I still like Espinosa at 2b or short. Now ancient, slow, creaky LaRoche at first? Bad back? Not so much and from the start.

29. Eric - May 3, 2013 at 8:32 PM

"I'll stop my mantra when Danny reaches .230 (which still stinks)."Fair enough, but I'd like to point out that the last thing it is is a mantra. Mantras don't generally seek to transform via negativity. Quite the opposite, really.

30. baseballswami - May 3, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Catching up with some highlights from the last two nights on my DVR. The vaunted Barves hitters showed lots of emotion. They were clearly frustrated and ticked off. Quite amusing. Also- I am going to harp on Lombo 's baseball IQ. In the first inning last night, Span on second, he had a very head's up at bat. Started out as a bunt to move Span, then avoided getting hit by a Henry- like wild pitch, but stayed enough in the way to make things complex, then immediately switched into RBI mode, noticed the 3b was playing too shallow and scooted the ball past him for the run. Danny would never, ever have handled that at bat so intelligently. He would have thought 2 run homer and made quick work of getting out without moving the runner or scoring that run.

31. peric - May 3, 2013 at 8:33 PM

The more Moore plays with Harper, Zim, and Desmond the better chance the offense has if developing. The rest can be plug-in replacements …

32. JD - May 3, 2013 at 8:34 PM

.230 doesn't necesarily stink. In 2011 Espi hit .236 but had an OBP of .323 which is ok. This year it's .173 .212 which does in fact stink.

33. NatsJack in Florida - May 3, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Hence you get my point.

34. Eric - May 3, 2013 at 8:34 PM

"The vaunted Barves hitters showed lots of emotion. They were clearly frustrated and ticked off. Quite amusing."That was about the best thing about the last 2 nights. They also seemed to be making a lot of the same kinds of errors we made in our home series against them.All around those 2 games were a great way to end the visit.

35. baseballswami - May 3, 2013 at 8:35 PM

And yes, Desi stunk at leading off over a year ago for a short time. That doesn't mean he always would. His maturity as a hitter since then is off the charts. Not saying he should at all, but I bet he could.

36. Eric - May 3, 2013 at 8:36 PM

2 things I would love to see, in order of prefrence: 1) For Espinosa improve at the plate. 2) For people to stop talking about Espinosa for one week.

37. JD - May 3, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Swami, I love Desi but at the top of the order I want OBP guys and Desi is not an OBP guy. I think Harper always gives us a chance to score in the 1st inning and the higher leverage you put him in (less outs) the better.

38. Rich P. - May 3, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Espi is the Feel of the Nats lineup. People talk about how much they hate him whether he's there or he's not there.

39. EmDash - May 3, 2013 at 8:42 PM

LaRoche has looked better the last few games, though. I'm thinking/hoping this is the series where he starts to break out.

40. baseballswami - May 3, 2013 at 8:44 PM

J'D– agreed , just happened to make a statement that Desi is so adaptable he could bat anywhere. Thought it was just a casual remark about a player, but…….

41. baseballswami - May 3, 2013 at 8:47 PM

EmDash– in Pittsburgh? Where for some reason they boo him unmercifully? Oh, well, maybe he will! That stadium has been the scene of his spring slumps a few times.

42. NatsJack in Florida - May 3, 2013 at 8:48 PM

LaRoche really loves the warm welcome he gets in Pittsburgh.

43. Candide - May 3, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Apropos of nothing… Cunegonde and I are in upstate New York, and spent the day at the baseball hall of fame.Eat your hearts out, NIers. : -)Also, GYFNG!!!

44. Eric - May 3, 2013 at 8:52 PM

What better way to respond to boos from the opponent than to give them more reason to boo ya?

45. Rich P. - May 3, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Does the Nats display locker at the HoF still contain Mike Bacsik/Bonds 756th memorabilia?

46. Another_Sam - May 3, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Candide – Was this your first trip to the Hof? What did you like? To my amazment, I really liked the hall itself, with the plaques.

47. Exposremains - May 3, 2013 at 8:53 PM

BowdenEspinosa had 2 years to make adjustments and has made none. Give Lombo at least a week and then you can quote me his stats.

48. baseballswami - May 3, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Candide- been there many times. Love it!

49. MicheleS - May 3, 2013 at 8:55 PM

OOO Candide, I am jealous…I think Roche breaks out this weekend. He loves hitting in the Burgh – especially when the crowd is booing him. Det is going to bounce back after 1 rough start. He will answer the bell.GYFNG!!!!

50. Another_Sam - May 3, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Swami -it's very cool, I agree. I think we've been three times.

51. sjm308 - May 3, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Really hope Espinosa learned a little by sitting. I can't imagine if he goes 0-4 that Davey will yank him but if he has two games of 0fer we might see Lombo back. There is more to this game then just hitting (duh) and if we can keep winning and Danny plays his usual excellent defense, we should be ok. I had to skip a few posts but I am sure someone is happy Moore is back in the lineup as well.Hope we start a nice winning streak before heading back home. Manassas Nats Fan – please do not start the wave even if we are winning big.Go Nats!!

52. sjm308 - May 3, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Another Sam – so did I!! It was great fun to walk around and look for all the old Senators. My mom also loved Duke Snider so I took a picture of that as well. For some reason, I could not find Eddie Yost's plaque. Must have been out being polished or something.Go Nats!!

53. sjm308 - May 3, 2013 at 9:00 PM

One last post – I am hopeful of being alive when it occurs, but I wonder who the first Washington National will be? The obvious hope would be Harper. I just don't see Zimmerman having a career that puts him in the Hall. Desmond actually might at least earn votes if he continues to improve, and my dark horse is Jordan Zimmermann.

54. baseballswami - May 3, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Sjm- not even looking at the line score, but at the approach with Danny. If he goes 0 fer but is being smart out there and plays good D, that's one thing. If he just goes out there and it 's same stuff, different day , that will not sit well. They will have to see that he is doing what they have asked him to do.

55. Another_Sam - May 3, 2013 at 9:02 PM

sjm308 – My first trip, I made a beeline for Killebrew's plaque. I he knew the impact that he, Lemon, Pascual, and the rest had on me as a child . . .

56. baseballswami - May 3, 2013 at 9:02 PM

First person in the HOF as a Nat? Davey?

57. baseballswami - May 3, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Anyone ever go to an induction weekend? What an event!

58. Eric - May 3, 2013 at 9:05 PM

"If he goes 0 fer but is being smart out there and plays good D, that's one thing."Yeah, Danny's only sure way to remain in the starting rotation at the moment is to resume his tight D. That's really his ace in the hole, and it was disappointing when he slipped up on that front.

59. Candide - May 3, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Rich P. – Nats display has Alfonso Soriano's Jersey from when he stole his 40th base. Nothing for the current Nats, except for an 8×10 color glossy photo of Bryce Harper. But that will change soon, I'm sure. Third or fourth visit. Cunegonde's first. When we were done looking at the Hank Aaron shrine (that's the only suitable description), she asked, He's in the Hall of Fame, right?"Yes, there are still amusing gaps in her baseball knowledge…

60. baseballswami - May 3, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Anyone who is out of the area, our game is the MLB TV free game today. So – any predictions on Mets/ Barves?? Go Mets??

61. IKN8wxU2 - May 3, 2013 at 9:11 PM

If Danny is playing his usual excellent D and making hard contact, that's all you can ask.

62. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 3, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Espinosa needs to make Rizzo look good. All I have to say is Espinosa has Boras as HIS agent.

63. bowdenball - May 3, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Exposremains said…"Espinosa had 2 years to make adjustments and has made none. Give Lombo at least a week and then you can quote me his stats."A week? How about 500 career plate appearances? Can I quote you those stats? Here they are: .304 career OBP, .338 career slugging, 5 career steals, average to below-average on all advanced fielding measures. Nothing against Lombardozzi who is a great asset on the 25 man roster, just not a starter. This is a textbook case of "grass is greener" syndrome.

64. Rich P. - May 3, 2013 at 9:15 PM

"One last post – I am hopeful of being alive when it occurs, but I wonder who the first Washington National will be?"Davey Johnson. Or Pudge Rodriguez. But neither one would go into the HoF as a Nat. Okay, Davey might. But a Met would be more likely.

65. IKN8wxU2 - May 3, 2013 at 9:18 PM

bowdenball said:"Nothing against Lombardozzi who is a great asset on the 25 man roster, just not a starter. This is a textbook case of "grass is greener" syndrome."In pointy ball, it's the backup quarterball syndrome.

66. Exposremains - May 3, 2013 at 9:18 PM

67. baseballswami - May 3, 2013 at 9:19 PM

But in all fairness, those career starts and at bats are mostly scattered or in smaller bunches.

68. SonnyG10 - May 3, 2013 at 9:20 PM

baseballswami said…Anyone ever go to an induction weekend? What an event!May 03, 2013 5:03 PMI was there at Len Dawson's induction, quite by accident. My wife and I were camping in the area and I wanted to visit the HOF and it just happened to be the weekend Dawson was inducted.

69. JD - May 3, 2013 at 9:21 PM

'Before rendon takes over, i want to see lombo. That is all. I don't think this team is better with espi.'This is as subjective a comment as I have seen. The numbers say otherwise.

70. SonnyG10 - May 3, 2013 at 9:25 PM

My bad memory. It was Andre Dawson inducted along with Doug Harvey and Whitey Herzog. Wasn't Len Dawson an old KC Chiefs quarterback?

71. Exposremains - May 3, 2013 at 9:29 PM

I dont think i need to pull a page of numbers to prove my point that Espi hasn't been good. Its been done already. You can call that subjective if that makes you happy. I like the approach of Lombo yesterday and I wanted to ply again today.

72. Exposremains - May 3, 2013 at 9:31 PM

I actually think that Espi could be really good but everything has been handed to him to easily and he should earn is spot back.

73. baseballswami - May 3, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Went to Nolan Ryan's . Two other big names, I forget. My son turned 16, that was his favorite player as a kid.

74. JD - May 3, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Exposremains, I watch the games like you and I often scream at the TV when Espi is hitting or more accurately swinging and missing often. But when making a determination on who should play you have to look at the overall landscape which in baseball is best represented by reasonably agreed upon numbers. At the end of the day Espi contributes to more Nats wins than Lombo based on a series of objective measures not feelings. Admittedly, Espi's performance this year so far has been awful but given last year's performance for example he is the better player.

75. MicheleS - May 3, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Swami..I have been to induction weekend:Nolan Ryan/George Brett/Robin Yount/orlando cepedaRyne SanbergCal/TonyRon Santo/Barry LarkinI love going induction weekend, the next one I go to will be Maddux. Then Pudge

76. baseballswami - May 3, 2013 at 10:25 PM

When my parents were alive they lived only 45 minutes from Coopetstown so we went often. Great memories. Haven't been in a long time.

77. Another_Sam - May 3, 2013 at 10:31 PM

On the recent lineup – I'm glad that someone else is hitting behing Harper. BTW, what will they do when LaRoche dips below the double Mendoza line? [Or is that the half Mendoza line?]

78. baseballswami - May 3, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Maybe it 's the Mendoza abyss.

79. Gonat - May 3, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Danny shouldn't sit on the bench for several games in a row. Let's see what he learned while sitting on the bench sulking.Play like it's your birthday!

80. NatsJack in Florida - May 3, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Just let me know when he reaches .230.

81. Gonat - May 3, 2013 at 11:08 PM

NatsJack, Danny is at a .212 OBP, is the .230 for his BA or OBP?

82. NatsJack in Florida - May 3, 2013 at 11:08 PM

'cause otherwise……he stinks.

83. NatsJack in Florida - May 3, 2013 at 11:09 PM

You've got to be kidding……BA.

84. Gonat - May 3, 2013 at 11:13 PM

NatsJack, All Danny has to do is go 11 for 29 to get to .230

85. NatsJack in Florida - May 3, 2013 at 11:14 PM

See…..I'm not asking much.

86. Gonat - May 3, 2013 at 11:23 PM

McCutcheon circled the Nats on his calendar. Ugh.

87. NatsJack in Florida - May 3, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Uhh…..Ross…..it's about location.

88. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 3, 2013 at 11:26 PM

I'd suggest working McCutheon away Ross.

89. Gonat - May 3, 2013 at 11:29 PM

3 pitches to Ryan Zimmerman and he can sit back down.

90. NatsJack in Florida - May 3, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Second time through, the Nats are going to tag Burnett.

91. Sj - May 3, 2013 at 11:31 PM

ALR coming out of super slump?

92. NatsJack in Florida - May 3, 2013 at 11:32 PM

It's Tyler time.

93. Gonat - May 3, 2013 at 11:33 PM

It's Danny time!

94. baseballswami - May 3, 2013 at 11:34 PM

It's hitting time – whoever you are.

95. Rich P. - May 3, 2013 at 11:35 PM

So all it took to get LaRoche going was a little booing? Why didn't WE think of that?

96. NatsJack in Florida - May 3, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Espinosa..best two takes I've seen but….he stonks.

97. phil dunton - May 3, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Espinosa stinks!

98. David Proctor - May 3, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Mark Zuckerman ‏@ZuckermanCSN 1mFor those asking, McCutchen's career stats in 24 G vs. #Nats: .448 AVG, 11 HR, 22 RBI, 1.463 OPS. Mercy. #PiratesYikes.

99. NatsJack in Florida - May 3, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Stinks

100. Sj - May 3, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Oh, rest assured I did Rich!

101. Gonat - May 3, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Lombo could catch that popup.

102. NatsJack in Florida - May 3, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Remember what I said….second time through the Nats are gonna beat Burnett like a drum.

103. MicheleS - May 3, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Det needs to learn how to handle the bat. GEESH.. take a hack.

104. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 3, 2013 at 11:48 PM

There's the failure to execute a bunt.

105. Gonat - May 3, 2013 at 11:51 PM

If Detwiler gets the bunt down, Suzuki holds at 2nd and Desmond has an infield hit with Harper coming up.

106. Gonat - May 3, 2013 at 11:54 PM

SteveM, I saw your comments earlier that you believe Espi doesn't want to dive for balls in the field because of his shoulder. Interesting to keep an eye on.

107. Exposremains - May 3, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Its amazing how a 1-0 deficit seems huge these days

108. NatsJack in Florida - May 3, 2013 at 11:59 PM

109. Gonat - May 3, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Zim couldn't reach that outside pitch if he had a 40 inch bat.

110. Exposremains - May 4, 2013 at 12:00 AM

He's really far in the box

111. phil dunton - May 4, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Bring Rendon back!

112. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 12:01 AM

I'm sorry…did I say second time through? I meant third.

113. Gonat - May 4, 2013 at 12:02 AM

NatsJack in Florida said… Gonat….I told Mark Z that exact same thing in Spring Training that I thought the only issue with the injury would be just that. May 03, 2013 7:59 PM _______________________________Yah, I was reading through the morning and afternoon's posts on Espinosa. He's dropped down a few notches on the UZR. That's interesting that you thought that early on and SteveM mentioned it as an issue.

114. Gonat - May 4, 2013 at 12:04 AM

NatsLady thought it was the camera angle on how far RZ stood from the plate and Bob Carpenter made it clear, it's not an optical illusion.

115. Rich P. - May 4, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Third game, right?

116. Gonat - May 4, 2013 at 12:05 AM

TyMo now up to .200 with that hit!

117. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Uh oh….Danny.

118. Gonat - May 4, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Espinosa finds open grass and a clutch RBI! Put bat on ball and you never know.

119. Exposremains - May 4, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Good job Espi. Keep it up. You don't need to hit homeruns.

120. Jerry - May 4, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Es-pin-o-sa!

121. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Sweet. But since he's not at .230 yet….Espinosa Stinks.

122. UnkyD - May 4, 2013 at 12:07 AM

TWO OUT RALLY!! My favorite kind!

123. Gonat - May 4, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Dead red fastball and lucky that didn't go over the centerfield wall.

124. Exposremains - May 4, 2013 at 12:10 AM

I know Mccutchen is good but come on they need to get him out once in a while

125. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 12:12 AM

126. Gonat - May 4, 2013 at 12:14 AM

NatsJack in Florida said… If anybody doesn't appreciate what D-Span means to this club, well…..I don't want to go thereMay 03, 2013 8:12 PM ______________________________I think even Peric jumped on the bandwagon and now is back on the bench Werth mantra.

127. Gonat - May 4, 2013 at 12:18 AM

I will start the next controversy. Ryan Zimmerman looks lost at the plate. Any reason why he wouldn't have played yesterday in another rehab game and maybe a few more? With Rendon manning 3rd, I can't see the huge rush to get RZ back before he's bashing. Besides the one mistake pitch he hit into the Clevelander in Miami, he was scuffling.6 pitches, 6 strikes, 2 K's. Painting the outside with a red target saying HIT IT!

128. Gonat - May 4, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Next inning is 3rd time around for the Nats on Burnett.

129. RickH - May 4, 2013 at 12:27 AM

DENARD SPAN!!!

130. Gonat - May 4, 2013 at 12:27 AM

WEB GEM! DSPAN!!!

131. Gonat - May 4, 2013 at 12:30 AM

That's a gut punch.

132. mick - May 4, 2013 at 12:31 AM

This is a good game, but Ross just pissed me off. That should NEVER happen with a left handed pitcher and now he gets rattled and throws a gopher ball. I do not think I have ever seen a base runner steal like that from first to second on a left hander?

133. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Hey Ross…..why don't you throw one down the middle?

134. Gonat - May 4, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Can Zuk go out to talk to Ross? Help him out.

135. mick - May 4, 2013 at 12:32 AM

I'm sorry but Cat and Davey better lay into his ass

136. Exposremains - May 4, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Seems like teams have started to figure out Det. Wasn't so great against the Reds in his last starts.

137. mick - May 4, 2013 at 12:33 AM

#4, if you are here, you and I both know what Coach Buddy would be thinking about now to say to Det, lol

138. Gonat - May 4, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Ross isn't fooling anybody. They are just sitting fastball.

139. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 12:37 AM

And I don't like Suzuki moving his glove after the catch to frame. Umps hate that.

140. Exposremains - May 4, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Why would anybody throw inside to Zim

141. Gonat - May 4, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Expos, only by mistake.

142. Gonat - May 4, 2013 at 12:43 AM

….like that pitch and still swung through it.

143. mick - May 4, 2013 at 12:43 AM

stupid baseball!

144. Gonat - May 4, 2013 at 12:43 AM

oh Bryce. oh Byce. Say it ain't so Bryce.

145. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 12:44 AM

More dumb baseball.

146. mick - May 4, 2013 at 12:44 AM

We can not hit are way out of a paper bag gang!

147. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 12:44 AM

I owe you one mick.

148. Exposremains - May 4, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Zim really could have waited out this serie in rehab.

149. phil dunton - May 4, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Zim has been a sucker for the low outside pitch his whole career.

150. mick - May 4, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Burnett is damn good, Nats don't need to help him out jeezh!

151. mick - May 4, 2013 at 12:46 AM

drinks on me Nats Jack, lol

152. mick - May 4, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Matty Alou, that was the Pirate I forgot from 69!

153. Secret wasian man - May 4, 2013 at 12:49 AM

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

154. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Ross didn't pitch bad….he just didn't measure up to Zimnn and Haren.

155. Secret wasian man - May 4, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Mick. we cant hit out of a WET paper bag.

156. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 12:50 AM

SWM…..this place will pound you for that kind of language.

157. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 4, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… http://www.masnsports.com/byron_kerr/2013/05/nationals.htmlWhen is one rehab start enough to declare you are ready after going 0-3 against some "A" ball pitching?We know RZim was supposed to play 2 games and the weather was poor on Tuesday but why not play last night somewhere or even delay coming off of the DL a few more days to make sure you can hit the Minor Leaguers.Zimmerman played third base for the Potomac Nationals in his lone rehab start to test the recovery of a sore hamstring, and despite an 0-for-3 performance, he felt his swing and timing are back."Everything feels good," Zimmerman said. "I think seeing some live pitching was good. I saw pretty much every pitch, fastball, slider, change up. It is always nice to get some of that before you get right back into it."I am in wait and see mode also. Come on Ryan, let's see it!May 03, 2013 10:03 AM O-3 and 3 K's tonight. 8 K's in his last 15 ABs. What was the rush to get him back?I was hoping I was wrong. Just another poor decision by management to get him back before he was really ready to hit.

158. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Thank God Zim was throwing on the run.

159. Secret wasian man - May 4, 2013 at 12:55 AM

And what is ALRs excuse?

160. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 12:57 AM

WOW! Thay throw looked almost routine!

161. Eric - May 4, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Yes, well done Zim!A'ight claw yer way back boys.

162. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 4, 2013 at 1:00 AM

And I want to apologize for sounding like the Legion of Doom but I will no longer rely on much of what Ryan Zimmerman says. I'm in show me mode with him. 1 rehab start going 0-3 against a 23 year old journeyman still stuck in A ball didn't give me a great feeling. When I heard he was going to skip Thursday's game, I wondered why Ryan didn't stay for another game. Now he is doing his rehab start in the cleanup spot and his timing is way off. Will it take 1 more AB or 10 more?

163. Gonat - May 4, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Yep, Legion of Doom.

164. Secret wasian man - May 4, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Ghost I agree. What scares me is that if Davey gives him as much time as he has ALR we are really in trouble. We had a little something going that last 2 games. Albeit mostly pitching. But he should have left it alone. HOW LONG DOES ECKSTEIN LAST????

165. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 1:06 AM

I kind of agree with you Ghost. But I've seen Ryan walk in to Spring Training and starr crushing from day one.I do agree he's so far off the plate that he'll never see an inside pitch to turn on so until he's driving the ball to right, he stinks.

166. baseballswami - May 4, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Det gave up three. On two home runs. Not like he got shelled. Davey needed a game for relievers to work . On the other hand , pitcher has the highest K total in the league. Of course. Game is theoretically still within reach.

167. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Oh yes….Espinosa Stinks.

168. Secret wasian man - May 4, 2013 at 1:09 AM

when was the last time the nats came from behind to win??

169. David Proctor - May 4, 2013 at 1:09 AM

That call on Espinosa was awful. I don't even blame him for that one, it was Ball 4.

170. baseballswami - May 4, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Have we come from behind this season? And by the way, I hear Chipper is open to a hitting coach job . You know, that last throw by Zim was nice looking.

171. Gonat - May 4, 2013 at 1:13 AM

FP has to be reading NatsInsider with that comment about mental errors. I read that earlier here also.

172. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 1:14 AM

That's enough. Base stealer on base and Espinosa doesn't know he's got coverage? Inexcuseable!!!!

173. baseballswami - May 4, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Could be. He tweets a lot so he is pretty wired in.

174. David Proctor - May 4, 2013 at 1:15 AM

For as bad as our bullpen has been, Craig Stammen has been great. He's really overlooked.

175. Gonat - May 4, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Time for a come from behind Win!!!!

176. Exposremains - May 4, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Didn't Burnett do the same thing to the Nats last year.

177. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 1:16 AM

WOW! Another normal throw from Zim!

178. Secret wasian man - May 4, 2013 at 1:17 AM

There is something more here than guys being hurt, trouble gettting going, pressing… There is a virus or cancer somewhere around this team. Maybe not a player but something. And that is a managers job to find out what it is and fix it. too many of the same types of mistakes. nothing ever changes. Its been to long now!!

179. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 1:18 AM

I've always said that these are the toughest 6 outs in baseball. The Nats have to produce.

180. David Proctor - May 4, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Huh. Stammen apparently balked.

181. Gonat - May 4, 2013 at 1:19 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if Bob and FP spent some time reading all the Blogs and especially here. Why not get the pulse of what the fans that watch are thinking.

182. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 1:20 AM

I apologize to Espinosa and the Nats. Balking Bob Davidson at his stupid self.

183. Gonat - May 4, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Need baserunners!

184. Secret wasian man - May 4, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Not tough 6 outs with the NATS BATS.

185. baseballswami - May 4, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Bad combination of a pitcher on top of his game and a lineup with huge holes. The guys who should be producing are hitting in the low two hundreds and below. And one veteran hitter can't play. Bryce is dinged up. Where is this offense you seek supposed to come from?

186. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Re: Alverez…..never trust a guy who has to tuck his ears under their caps.

187. Gonat - May 4, 2013 at 1:24 AM

swami, Ian Desmond

188. Gonat - May 4, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Nats need some May magic!

189. Exposremains - May 4, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Come on Harper, time to be the man

190. Secret wasian man - May 4, 2013 at 1:28 AM

CMON Bryce

191. baseballswami - May 4, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Ian can go yard, but it sure would be nice if he had some help out there. Bryce would be hitting if he was not hurt.

192. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Too many people watch numbers instead of the actual games.

193. baseballswami - May 4, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Some ugly numbers on twitter . We are 0-13 when trailing after seven. So no, we have not come from behind.

194. Exposremains - May 4, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Harper is hurting and so are the Nats

195. baseballswami - May 4, 2013 at 1:34 AM

I know he wants to be on there, but playing like this could cause him to develop some bad mechanics.

196. Gonat - May 4, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Ian did his job and the Buco's decide to pitch to Harper instead of going after Ryan Zimmerman. That surprised me. It worked out for them.

197. Secret wasian man - May 4, 2013 at 1:35 AM

ITS BASEBALL Nats Jack. Numbers dont lie. I watch the games and watch the numbers. And both say the NATS STINK!! But we will be fine. Mr October (sports illustated)pitches tommorow

198. baseballswami - May 4, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Aroldis Chapman totally melted down today. I will take charity if someone 's closer is due for a rough outing.

199. Scott Margenau - May 4, 2013 at 1:39 AM

I agree

200. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 1:41 AM

There's an old baseball saying, SWM….numbers are figures….figures lie and liars figure. The games are meant to be watched, not figured.