May 3, 2013, 1:37 AM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Dan Haren dominated the Braves over eight superb innings.
Game in a nutshell: Bryce Harper and Jayson Werth were both banged up, but both guys were in the lineup for the finale of this important, four-game series. Neither looked 100 percent, though, with Harper going 0-for-4 and Werth having to leave the game in the fifth inning. No problem, because the rest of the Nationals lineup produced three early runs off Kris Medlen. And then Dan Haren went to work. Did he ever. The veteran right-hander was dominant over eight superb innings, allowing only Dan Uggla's solo homer in the seventh and picking up right where Jordan Zimmermann left off the night before. Rafael Soriano closed out his second straight win as the Nationals salvaged a four-game split with the Braves, leaving town with a 15-14 record, 2 1/2 games behind Atlanta in the NL East.
Hitting highlight: The offense came early and often for the Nationals, who pounced on Medlen for three quick runs, ignited by their leadoff man. Denard Span began the game with a double into the right-field corner, then scored moments later on SteveRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Sunday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Sunday's games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter
- LaRoche: Nats unlikely to bring me back in '15
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1
- Barrett's role expanding with September surge
- Strasburg starts, but several regulars sit today