May 3, 2013, 10:26 PM EST
Ryan Zimmerman missed the last 15 days with a strained hamstring.
PITTSBURGH — Just as they welcomed back one veteran from injury, the Nationals lost another one for the weekend, forcing Davey Johnson once again to reconfigure his lineup for the opener of a three-game series with the Pirates.
Ryan Zimmerman was officially activated off the 15-day disabled list Friday afternoon, but Jayson Werth’s hamstring remains tweaked enough that he’ll have to miss all three games at PNC Park.
“Hopefully it’s going to come along, and he’ll be ready when we get home,” Johnson said, speculating Werth could return Tuesday for the start of a home interleague series with the Tigers.
Johnson reiterated that Werth’s hamstring injury won’t require a DL stint, unlike Zimmerman and Wilson Ramos (who each missed 15 days with a similar ailment). In Werth’s case, the hamstring is tight but not pulled, according to Johnson.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats announce McLouth signing, DFA Corey Brown
- MLB's Rangers draft NFL quarterback Russell Wilson
- PHOTO: Jerry Blevins very excited to be a National
- Nationals lose catcher Nieto in Rule 5 draft
- Michael Morse signs with San Francisco Giants
- MLB rules committee votes to outlaw home plate collisions
- 3 deals in 10 days leave Nats in good shape
- Rizzo: Blevins was Nationals' best option
- Former Nats OF Jerry Hairston, Jr. retires from MLB
- Nats get lefty Blevins from A's for prospect