May 3, 2013, 10:26 PM EST
Ryan Zimmerman missed the last 15 days with a strained hamstring.
PITTSBURGH — Just as they welcomed back one veteran from injury, the Nationals lost another one for the weekend, forcing Davey Johnson once again to reconfigure his lineup for the opener of a three-game series with the Pirates.
Ryan Zimmerman was officially activated off the 15-day disabled list Friday afternoon, but Jayson Werth’s hamstring remains tweaked enough that he’ll have to miss all three games at PNC Park.
“Hopefully it’s going to come along, and he’ll be ready when we get home,” Johnson said, speculating Werth could return Tuesday for the start of a home interleague series with the Tigers.
Johnson reiterated that Werth’s hamstring injury won’t require a DL stint, unlike Zimmerman and Wilson Ramos (who each missed 15 days with a similar ailment). In Werth’s case, the hamstring is tight but not pulled, according to Johnson.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Zimmermann throws three scoreless in Nats' 3-2 loss
- Zimmermann squares off with Braves again
- 2014 Washington Nationals fantasy baseball preview
- Phillies Cole Hamels suffers setback, April looks doubtful
- Projecting Nats' roster midway through spring
- Nats introduce new 'Red Carpet Rewards' program
- Desmond hits 1 of Nationals' 4 homers in win
- Former Nats OF Rick Ankiel is retiring
- Podcast: Baseball in The District - Nats position battles
- Gonzalez, Werth make long-awaited spring debuts