May 3, 2013, 10:26 PM EDT
Ryan Zimmerman missed the last 15 days with a strained hamstring.
PITTSBURGH — Just as they welcomed back one veteran from injury, the Nationals lost another one for the weekend, forcing Davey Johnson once again to reconfigure his lineup for the opener of a three-game series with the Pirates.
Ryan Zimmerman was officially activated off the 15-day disabled list Friday afternoon, but Jayson Werth’s hamstring remains tweaked enough that he’ll have to miss all three games at PNC Park.
“Hopefully it’s going to come along, and he’ll be ready when we get home,” Johnson said, speculating Werth could return Tuesday for the start of a home interleague series with the Tigers.
Johnson reiterated that Werth’s hamstring injury won’t require a DL stint, unlike Zimmerman and Wilson Ramos (who each missed 15 days with a similar ailment). In Werth’s case, the hamstring is tight but not pulled, according to Johnson.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- When will slow-developing bats come around?
- At 7-12, Nationals still searching for answers
- Marlins 6, Nats 2: Another misplay opens the floodgates
- Must-win? Sunday's game may be that for Nats
- Scherzer doubtful for Tuesday's start
- Slumping Nats already 7 games back in NL East
- Bats silent in 8-0 Marlins win over Washington
- Thumb swollen, Scherzer can't throw in bullpen
- Nationals try to get back on track in Miami
- Lack of late-inning execution holding back Nats