May 4, 2013, 7:34 PM EDT
Davey Johnson gathered his players for a team meeting today.
PITTSBURGH — After a frustrating loss Friday night to cap a frustrating few weeks of baseball, Davey Johnson did one thing he hadn’t done in a while, and then something else he hadn’t done in a really long time: He held a team meeting, and he took a round of batting practice.
“I wasn’t too keen on last night,” Johnson said, referencing the Nationals’ 3-1 loss to the Pirates, their 13th loss in 21 games. “It was probably more for me, so I feel like I’m doing something.”
The meeting, held before the Nationals took the field at PNC Park for batting practice, didn’t feature any tirades from Johnson but rather a reaffirming of his belief in his players.
“It was more to let them know where I’m coming from, and for them to be aware that I understand what they’re dealing with,” he said. “It wasn’t where I was chastising anybody, because I know the makeup and I know the effort we’re getting. If anything, it might be we’re putting more pressure on ourselves than we should.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Duda, Cespedes too much for Nationals
- Cespedes debuts for Mets, as Nats aim to even series
- Nats are in a real pennant race now
- Mets beat Nats 2-1 in epic game capped by Flores walk-off
- Nats' reliever to get second opinion on ailing shoulder
- Catching up with now-Mets pitcher Tyler Clippard
- Mets get Cespedes for big series vs. Nats
- Nats, Mets begin weekend series with first place on the line
- MLB Power Rankings: Hamels, Price, Tulo all get traded
- A formula that could work wonders for Nats