Game 31: Nats at Pirates

May 4, 2013, 4:37 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stephen Strasburg is on the mound this afternoon at PNC Park.

PITTSBURGH — Things haven't exactly gone as planned for Stephen Strasburg so far this season. The Nationals' ace hasn't won a game since his Opening Day start against the Marlins, going 0-4 in five starts since. Then there was that little issue of forearm tightness during his last outing in Atlanta, mentioned by Davey Johnson but refuted by Strasburg.

Whatever the case, all eyes will be on Strasburg this afternoon as he faces the Pirates in what kind of amounts to a must-win game for the right-hander. OK, maybe he doesn't need to actually earn the W, but he certainly needs to pitch well and put to rest any questions about the state of his arm.

The Nationals once again are forced to go with a different-looking lineup because of injury. Denard Span is out today after fouling a couple of pitches off his ankle last night. That ankle was taped up after the game, and Span was limping around a bit. We'll get an update on his condition soon. In the meantime, Roger Bernadina takes over in center field and Danny Espinosa gets a rare chance to lead off.

Note the different broadcast circumstances for today's game, both on TV and radio, below. Game updates to come, so please check back…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at PITTSBURGH PIRATES
Where: PNC Park
Gametime: 4:05 p.m. EDT
TV: Fox regional (coverage map here)
Radio: WNEW (99.1 FM), WJFK (106.7 FM, JIP), XM 184
Weather: Partly cloudy, 69 degrees, Wind 14 mph in from CF

2B Danny Espinosa
SS Ian Desmond
LF Bryce Harper

1. EmDash - May 4, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Espinosa…leading off? Woah.

2. SonnyG10 - May 4, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Oh boy, Espi and Desi one and two today. That ought to put a lot of runners on base for Harp. :(

3. Sec. 3, My Comfortability Sofa - May 4, 2013 at 4:48 PM

That should put some pressure on Strasburg to clear the leadoff man with two outs in the inning, maybe get his bat going…

4. SonnyG10 - May 4, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Can't say Davey is not changing things up now, but he sure doesn't have much to work with. Maybe Stras will shut down the Pirates today.

5. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Danny Espinosa leading off? Espinosa Stinks.

6. SCNatsFan - May 4, 2013 at 4:53 PM

I guess the key to moving up in he lineup is having a poor approach at then plate. What does Davey see that I don't?

7. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 5:01 PM

I think he just wants to get it over with quick.

8. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 4, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Davey's infatuation for Espinosa has hit a new high.Unless Espinosa works the count and see a lot of pitches and gets on base at least 2 times, it's a big step backwards.

9. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 4, 2013 at 5:04 PM

The only good news is Espi gets to bat right-handed.

10. peric - May 4, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Yes, I preferred JUp/Harp/Werth but as a 2nd choice, Well, Ghost they probably could get Gian Carlo Stanton? For Moore, and starting pitchers (hopefully not Det and prospects). Then you'd be risking Moore becoming like Morse in your division?Not sure I'd want to take that risk given how he was tearing things up in Syracuse before them promoted him and then given his high ISO from off the bench last season. An outfield of Stanton, Harper, and Span would be just about perfect with Werth as the bench bat 4th outfielder. Espinosa doesn't stink. He's way better than your favorite player JMax Natsjack. And way better than Guzman at second remember that experiment?Davey giving Span a blow and putting in the Shark. The line up now has more power from top to bottom. The problem is the hole in the #5 spot named Adam LaRoche. That's who really stinks.

11. peric - May 4, 2013 at 5:07 PM

12. peric - May 4, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Davey's infatuation for Espinosa has hit a new high.He's still young. He's not a AAAA player yet. And as we've seen (remember Garret Mock?) Rizzo doesn't give up on his prospects until he is sure. He claims to have learned that after he gave up everyone's favorite "stink" AKA the infamous "Gascanrahan" and what ever happened to him?

13. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 4, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Davey's holding a team meeting.

14. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 4, 2013 at 5:20 PM

"He was awfully rusty, but he will be fine," manager Davey Johnson said about Ryan Zimmerman about his 1st game back.

15. peric - May 4, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Another Prospect pitcher … the Nats haven't had much luck with them this season.

16. Exposremains - May 4, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Put the guy that can't hit his weight and will swing at anything in the leadoff spot, that will jump start the offense for sure. As suggested, you can't kill a rally when you leadoff the game.

17. EmDash - May 4, 2013 at 5:31 PM

And a left-handed prospect pitcher, at that! That's like two kryptonites in one.

18. David Proctor - May 4, 2013 at 5:32 PM

"Last year, before Game 31, Davey called a team meeting at PNC Park before a Strasburg start. Also, he did that same exact thing today."That's weird.

19. Drew - May 4, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Lead off hitter Danny Espinosa has a .213 on base percentage. Great idea!Coming soon: Pauly Shore leads the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

20. EmDash - May 4, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Two of today's four early games featured a lead-off homerun, and a third nearly had one and was robbed by a leaping catch by Ichiro. The fourth game didn't have a homerun until the *second* batter. Maybe Danny or Ian can keep the pattern going.

21. JaneB - May 4, 2013 at 5:40 PM

My money is on Ian, EmDash! GYFNG!

22. Exposremains - May 4, 2013 at 5:45 PM

23. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 4, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Looking what Feelwood wrote about Zimmerman covering the outside of the plate got me thinking about what it would take given the distance to the outside of the plate is 17" + 6" for the space between the batter's box and the inside of the plate. You are covering 23" just to get the end of your bat to touch a pitch on the extreme edge of the plate. The other factors are that when Zim swings with full extension he is about 27 inches away from his body less 4 inches for his left hand grip is 23 inches. He swings a 34 inch bat and wants the ball on his sweet spot around the 30 inch mark. Zim's front ankle when he swings needs to be no less than 30 inches from the right side of the batter's box. The batter's box is 4 feet wide. He looks to be about 3/4 of the way into the box with the back of his foot. I just can't see how he is getting outside covrage unless he is diving towards the plate or hitting the ball off the end of his bat.

24. SCNatsFan - May 4, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Peric Werth is not sitting on the bench. Please stop posting such nonsense.

25. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 4, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Exposremains said… SteveMCan someone like Boras call Rizzo and say I want my client on the field not on the benchHere's the deal, Stras is his client, Bryce is his client, Werth, and Espinosa and Rendon.Who should sit in his opinion?

26. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 4, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Cingrani already has given up 2 earned.

27. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 4, 2013 at 6:05 PM

And like that with a 2 run jack by Alfonso Soriano, its now 4 earned runs by Cingrani.

28. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Both 2 run shots by Soriano.

29. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 4, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Unless Detroit has a rainout, the Nats will miss Justin Verlander in the Tues/Wed series.

30. EmDash - May 4, 2013 at 6:08 PM

31. EmDash - May 4, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Maybe I'm just too used to Davey's way of handling pitchers, and it did work out for Cincinnati against the Nationals, but from looking at Cigrani in that game it seemed really strange that they sent him out for that last inning he did. He was pretty gassed and ended up throwing 110 pitches in his third career start. If he's ineffective today it seems like that could have a hand in it.

32. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Just a note. In an effort to help Stras right his ship, I finally unpacked the bobble head I got of him last year.He's out of the box and on the shelf of my work station in my home office. He's delivering a pitch to Thomas Jefferson, who has also been granted freedom from his box after 7 years of captivity.

33. baseballswami - May 4, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I usually hate Fox coverage but we get FP today!! Hope the boys play well today. I can handle losses. Most teams I have ever rooted for have lost a lot. It's bad baseball that is hard to watch. Lack of hustle I cannot forgive – at least it's not that. Believe me, I understand trying as hard as you can and yet struggling. I am a musician so I really get practice/ performance/ mental type issues. One of the things I tell my students is that you should prepare correctly and then get out of your own way. When you can accomplish that and let your preparation show, then you get in a nice zone and it's all good.

34. NatsLady - May 4, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Yep, Cingrani kept looking at the dugout, pleading, wondering–when am I coming out???

35. Exposremains - May 4, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Make sense but there's certainly a financial gain for Boras if Espinosa gets better But if he keeps playing everyday without making adjustments that would be a financial loss. Would an agent ever see a trip to AAA as a good thing long-term for the player

36. NatsLady - May 4, 2013 at 6:20 PM

An amusing thought. When I was researching Locke, I cam across a quote (which I didn't use) that the Cards also have trouble with unknown pitchers, especially lefties. I hope Rizzo did good scouting, and the hitters pay attention. Sometimes I know they time the pitcher, and figure they'll get him on the second or third try. But if we are 3-4 runs in the hole, it's too late by then. Need to get runs early!!!

37. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 4, 2013 at 6:21 PM

38. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 4, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Dusty possibly did screw up Cingrani but he was also primed to show some regression. I expect Harvey to have a tough outing at some point as the league sees him 2nd time around.Speaking of the Mets, they've already postponed the Mets/Braves game for today.

39. Rich P. - May 4, 2013 at 6:23 PM

If an agent's client is ever sent to AAA, a good agent will figure out a way to spin that as a positive in any subsequent arbitration hearing. Kind of like the way that Ghost of Steve M. keeps trying to spin it that I'm Feelwood. The true BSers are always spinning it their way.

40. NatsLady - May 4, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Very possible that Mets/ATL will get rained out tonight. 100% chance of rain… Remember when Rizzo canceled a game (I thin it was in 2011) and it never rained?

41. NatsLady - May 4, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Apparently Rich P. doesn't think it's a compliment to be mistaken for Feelwood…

42. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 4, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Exposremains, unless its an injury rehab assignment to AAA, I don't see many agents would be pleased with a demotion.I'm sure Danny called Boras when he rode the pine for 2 games to whine to him. I'm just very over the situation and like I've pondered, who's calling the shots?

43. NatsLady - May 4, 2013 at 6:27 PM

BTW, how would Detroit get rained out? They are in Houston. Well, unless the roof leaks.

44. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 4, 2013 at 6:29 PM

NatsLady, see, I was wrong. They can't be rained out unless the roof won't close.

45. Rich P. - May 4, 2013 at 6:29 PM

"NatsLady said… Apparently Rich P. doesn't think it's a compliment to be mistaken for Feelwood…"Would you?

46. NatsLady - May 4, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Hamstring injury for Hanley-serious. Jayson, get healed, take your time!Ramirez Dodgershttp://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/04/hanley-ramirez-leaves-game-with-hamstring-injury-probably-out-a-long-time/

47. JaneB - May 4, 2013 at 6:33 PM

I hope your strategy helps, NatsJack. You don't have an Espi bobblehad in a box anywhere, do you?

48. Rich P. - May 4, 2013 at 6:34 PM

"Remember when Rizzo canceled a game (I thin it was in 2011) and it never rained?"May 2011 vs the Pirates. It was $2 Tuesday and I had a ticket. They made it up in July as part of a traditional doubleheader, so I got two games for two bucks. I'm not complaining.

49. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 4, 2013 at 6:34 PM

JaneB, is a Bobblehad kind of like a "had been"?

50. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 6:35 PM

My Espi bobble head stinks.

51. SCNatsFan - May 4, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Lol natsjack

52. EmDash - May 4, 2013 at 6:45 PM

I kind of want to watch the Mariners-Blue Jays game, it sounds kind of nuts. Raul Ibanez got a *triple* somehow.

53. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 4, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Hisashi Iwakuma in many metrics is looking like the best pitcher in MLB.

54. peric - May 4, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Uh and Danny did get on base 2 out of 5 times last night? And as I recall he was involved in scoring the ONLY run?

55. peric - May 4, 2013 at 6:56 PM

My Natsjack pin the Voodoo Doll really stinks.

56. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 4, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Come on Peric, just look it up. Danny went 1 for 4 and had an RBI. He only got on base once and had 2 K's. His hit found the hole. It's called BABIP and he got that grounder between the 2nd baseman and 1st baseman.

57. peric - May 4, 2013 at 6:57 PM

They can always move Vidro back to second base.

58. peric - May 4, 2013 at 6:58 PM

59. whatsanattau - May 4, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Lineup = Reverse Locke

60. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 7:00 PM

61. whatsanattau - May 4, 2013 at 7:01 PM

The Espi Bobble is clean shaven when it comes out of the box … and it doesn't have a bat.

62. peric - May 4, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Ghost….looks like you and I were watching the same game. Maybe 2 strikeoutsAdam LaRoche clean up hitter extraordinaire: .154 32 K'sDanny Espinosa .174 20 K's.

63. baseballswami - May 4, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Looks like it's all fun and games until they actually throw the first pitch. Then we shall see.

64. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 4, 2013 at 7:07 PM

NatsJack in Florida said… Ghost….looks like you and I were watching the same game. Maybe 2 strikeouts equate to an on base in some new sabremetrics calculation.Peric has been in Danny's corner for so long he wants to start inventing extra ABs and times on base to make him look better.I just say to Danny to play each day like it's your birthday. That was one of the best games of his career.

65. baseballswami - May 4, 2013 at 7:09 PM

66. johnny nats - May 4, 2013 at 7:09 PM

If memory serves Lombo was 1-8 in Atlanta. I like both the guys, but the nats need better production from a lot of spots, not just 2b.OK what sabremetrics guys say is that given a set lineup, the particular order in which they bat doesn't make much of a difference in overall run production. And come on IAN freakin Desmond? Are you kidding me? He's batting .296. Oh well, not going to let it bother me. Enjoy the afternoon and the baseball.

67. SonnyG10 - May 4, 2013 at 7:09 PM

We need an Espi ChiaPet bobblehead. Then it could grow its own beard.

68. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 4, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Peric, both those players you mention have both stunk. Only difference is ALR has a history to show he's an above average player and he should approve to his mean while Espi is just this player where you talk about potential that has never materialized.

69. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Yeo, Ghost. I was at Nats Park live and in person and was hoping it was a start to something good but alas…..not to be.

70. baseballswami - May 4, 2013 at 7:16 PM

You cannot compare two players side by side when one of them only plays one or two games here and there. A part time player would need at least two series back to back to settle in. Danny has been a full time player since he was handed a starting job on a silver platter.

71. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 4, 2013 at 7:16 PM

baseballswami said… And , believe it or not, I don 't care if Danny strikes out in his first AB as long as he sees some pitches , fills the count and fouls a few off first. May 04, 2013 3:09 PM I want to see a professional at-bat. Did you see how well Rendon worked the count and struck out fighting. It wasn't swinging at a ball abouve his shoulders. If you are going to strike out, make it a battle and then tip your cap to the pitcher and get him the next time. Learn from each at-bat and don't be a free swinger.

72. baseballswami - May 4, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Amen, ghost. Or later on in the game make sure that if you make an out, you move the runner, or lift it to the outfield to score a run. Situational hitting!!!!!! That is something Lombo does better than Danny, who is usually awful at it as he thinks it means swinging for the fences every swing.

73. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Espinosa Stinks.

74. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 4, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Cingrani won't get the loss as his team just tied it up in the 8th against Marmol.

75. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Actually, if Danny can go 10 for his next 25 he'll raise his average to .230 (which still stinks) and I'll stop my chant.

76. baseballswami - May 4, 2013 at 7:28 PM

So, NatsJack– what do you think of Danny Espinosa? Don 't hold back, tell us what you really think.

77. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 4, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Reds now up 6-4 with a 4 run 8th inning.

78. NatsLady - May 4, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Dickey might be an underperformer… Don't see a Cy Young for him this year.

79. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 4, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Mark Z. writes…Even rarer than a Johnson-led meeting is a Johnson round of batting practice. But he took 40 swings in the cage this morning, more than he claims he's done in 30 years. The 70-year-old said his legs gave out after a while. He also wound up with a blister on his left hand (he wasn't wearing batting gloves). "I wanted to see if it was still that hard to hit a baseball," he said.

80. peric - May 4, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Maybe Natsjack is thinking that Espy will hit … reminds of me of how it seemed that everytime everyone would curse Belliard he would come through with a huge game. Kind of the anti-whammy.

81. johnny nats - May 4, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Come on Davey, just give us half your 1973 production and we'll sign you for a player manager contract.

82. peric - May 4, 2013 at 7:47 PM

And Belliard used to play 2nd base.

83. Drew - May 4, 2013 at 7:48 PM

I'm glad Nats Jack freed Thomas Jefferson from captivity.If only Mr. Jefferson had the same impulse.

84. baseballswami - May 4, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Caps, Caps, Caps!!!!!!!!!!!

85. baseballswami - May 4, 2013 at 7:57 PM

I hope the Caos brought us luck, but scoreless after regulation? No thanks. We need to score long before that.

86. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 4, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Strasburg to pitch a gem! Nats batters to get him some runs. Let's Go!

87. NatsLady - May 4, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Looks like it's official that ATL-Mets postponed. Three hours before game time. Wimps… LOL.

88. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 4, 2013 at 8:00 PM

NatsLady, I read they postponed it an hour ago.

89. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 4, 2013 at 8:02 PM

FP playing all neutral on the FOX broadcast. "Oh I'm looking to watching him [McCutcheon] play".

90. baseballswami - May 4, 2013 at 8:06 PM

So their pitcher hasn't given up a run in his last two starts? Oh, that is unfortunate……..

91. baseballswami - May 4, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Weak hit in the infield, K, looking , first pitch out. Same sh$& , different day. Avert your eyes.

92. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 4, 2013 at 8:13 PM

baseballswami, now that is funny. Only that was a weak groundout in the infield no a weak hit.

93. Joe Seamhead - May 4, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Did somebody step in something? It really stinks in here.

94. SCNatsFan - May 4, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Jesus SS still throwing wild

95. baseballswami - May 4, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Oh, you are right- bad vocabulary. Now Stras hits the first guy after getting him 0-2. Can he keep from panicking? Oh, it's Ramos who will panic! First inning shenanigans again for the Nats with Stras on the mound.

96. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 4, 2013 at 8:17 PM

That's fortuitous! An ugly swing & miss K by McCutcheon!

97. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 4, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Best 1st inning by Stras since Game #1

98. Nats Fan in Brazil - May 4, 2013 at 8:21 PM

SS is totally on control today, really good comand! I can see complete game shutout,112 pitches, 14 strikeouts. Nats Wins 3x0Bryce and Ryan will homer

99. NatsLady - May 4, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Talk about tossing you teammates under the bus. Ben Nicholson-Smith ‏@bnicholsonsmith R.A. Dickey said the Blue Jays are dysfunctional on the field.

100. SCNatsFan - May 4, 2013 at 8:21 PM

RZ had a couple hits last night? I think not.

101. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Whoopeee! They posted the Angels/Birds as our Fox game but changed their mind and are giving us the Nats/Pirates!

102. SCNatsFan - May 4, 2013 at 8:23 PM

And ALRs bat is coming to life? FP must have his hand over his mouth.

103. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 4, 2013 at 8:24 PM

NatsLady, I guess RA Dickey will have some 'splaining to do.

104. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Solid at bat by Tyler.

105. NatsLady - May 4, 2013 at 8:27 PM

If Locke doesn't have control he is very hittable. Let's go, guys!

106. Ghost Of Steve M. - May 4, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Can you believe that. Darn ball by Ramos was smoked and with Barmes shading up the middle a tailor made DP.

107. skidge - May 4, 2013 at 8:32 PM

And no, Span is not out because of a hamstring injury.

108. SCNatsFan - May 4, 2013 at 8:33 PM

That is twice the guys run thru the bag they are safe

109. Exposremains - May 4, 2013 at 8:33 PM

I saw that NatsJack about the Foxgame so i planned my day thinking i wouldnt e able to watch the game until late tonight. So now I have to run errands.

110. David Proctor - May 4, 2013 at 8:33 PM

High throw there by Zim, but not TOO bad.

111. Joe Seamhead - May 4, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Way to go Danny.

112. Steady Eddie - May 4, 2013 at 8:41 PM

The non-FP announcer is really from hunger. Proclaimed TMo as being from "Brandon Missouri, no let me correct that, Branson,Missouri." Guess FP is too polite to point out that TMo is from Mississippi.And Danny has another predictable damaging K.

113. baseballswami - May 4, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Span does have an owie– hit by pitch in the foot. Could not stand up this morning.

114. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Espinosa Stinks. I tell ya! Stinks!

115. SCNatsFan - May 4, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Can't say I'm surprised. Worst eye in baseball leads off for us.

116. baseballswami - May 4, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Bench Damny for that fold!!

117. Joe Seamhead - May 4, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Actually Span fouled two off his foot/ankle last night.

118. Exposremains - May 4, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Nobody out , guy on 3rd, 3 pitches you're out

119. SCNatsFan - May 4, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Looks like Bryce wants to get to dinner early.

120. Steady Eddie - May 4, 2013 at 8:45 PM

And Desi shows how it's done.I'll take it — a run on an HBP, error, SF, like the early 1960s Chisox used to do it.

121. David Proctor - May 4, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Ouch that ball that fell into RF. Any of our OFers would catch that.

122. David Proctor - May 4, 2013 at 8:49 PM

And that ball that drops hurts.

123. SCNatsFan - May 4, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Moore again showing he is built to be a DH and, again, it costs the team

124. Joe Seamhead - May 4, 2013 at 8:53 PM

I agree David. Any everyday outfielder would have caught that, but at least he didn't try and miss and have it get past him. Turns out it really hurt anyway.

125. Joe Seamhead - May 4, 2013 at 8:54 PM

When I hear that defense doesn't matter I just cringe.

126. baseballswami - May 4, 2013 at 8:55 PM

I hate listening to these awful interviews!!!!!!! Can we watch the game???? And why don't we just criticize the bench player playing where he never does? Because those veterans sure are doing their jobs, aren't they?

127. David Proctor - May 4, 2013 at 8:56 PM

2 very solidly hit balls today by Zim.

128. peric - May 4, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Yah see?

129. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Don't be bad mouthin Tyler's defense. The Marlins might think twice about that Stanton trade for him and a couple of pitchers.

130. peric - May 4, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Moore again showing he is built to be a DH and, again, it costs the teamLaRoche and Marerro couldn't even do it.

131. Joe Seamhead - May 4, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Well, now. Sure glad he did that up here rather then somewhere in the minors, Ghost! (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

132. Rich P. - May 4, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Ghost of Steve M., please to explain again why Ryan Zimmerman should be playing A ball today.

133. peric - May 4, 2013 at 8:59 PM

And Tyler Moore proves he is as good as Morse if not better? Well I get to dance and sing at Natsjack's expense just as I did with AAAA Morse.

134. Joe Seamhead - May 4, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Way to go Ryan and, ahem, Adam

135. rmoore446 - May 4, 2013 at 9:00 PM

I'm getting the Orioles game in the Fox regional coverage. For some reason, central Virginia and all the Shenandoah Valley where I live is slotted for the Baltimore game.

136. baseballswami - May 4, 2013 at 9:01 PM

That ball hit to right was hard hit and dropped in front of him. Not like a can of corn or anything. How bad did you feel for Jordan being on air during the home run?

137. baseballswami - May 4, 2013 at 9:02 PM

So awkward.

138. SCNatsFan - May 4, 2013 at 9:03 PM

peric at least complaining about ALR to make your boy look better gets you off the Span hate train. When he hits and fields like Moore you are going to BBQ him.

139. baseballswami - May 4, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Zim was running just fine :)

140. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Good job playing the caroom Tyler

141. SCNatsFan - May 4, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Tyler played that as well as it could be played

142. Steady Eddie - May 4, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Great to see a good Zim throw.

143. Joe Seamhead - May 4, 2013 at 9:08 PM

I like our third baseman right where he's at.

144. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 9:09 PM

This Pittsburg play by play guy Stinks.

145. peric - May 4, 2013 at 9:10 PM

peric at least complaining about ALR to make your boy look better gets you off the Span hate train.I don't hate Span. I just don't think he fits in this team, with this offense given what we've seen last season. He is a good fielder and maybe makes a good #2 hitter but I still think Werth should lead off and earn his $16,000,000 because when he leads off he is closer to be worth that exorbitant amount.Reminds me of another difference between Espinosa and LaRoche:Espinosa who can play a great shortstop or second is making all of $526,250 while LaRoche who is slow and can only play first: AND WHO STINKS? $10,000,000.

146. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 9:10 PM

OK…..all Danny has to do is go 10 for his next 23 and I'll get off his case.

147. peric - May 4, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Good job playing the caroom TylerThank now here's a quarter go play in traffic.

148. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Of course if he does that he'll finally be hitting .230 which still stinks but I'll be off his case.

149. peric - May 4, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Another double, #8 and the $10,000,000 man?

150. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 9:14 PM

WooooHoooo! Now it's 9 for 22……keep it going Espinosa.

151. BxJaycobb - May 4, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Without question this broadcaster "Howard" or whatever is the worst broadcaster I've ever heard. And I don't speak in hyperbole much. He has made…I'm counting…11 factual mistakes about names, towns, and basic facts that occurred fifteen seconds previously ("Here's Zimmerman, and he hit a homer..uh I'm sorry..a triple last inning")….and then just annoying FP to no end. "Hey FP you see the Islanders game last night?" (silence) "Not a hockey guy, huh?" "Not now, Howard. I've been watching some baseball games."

152. peric - May 4, 2013 at 9:15 PM

K K but it wasn't Danny Espinosa …

153. David Proctor - May 4, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Yeah, I've been cringing at this Howard guy.

154. Steady Eddie - May 4, 2013 at 9:17 PM

If Desi couldn't pull that inside FB, he should at least have been able to foul it off.

155. peric - May 4, 2013 at 9:17 PM

8 doubles for the $526,250 man and one of the team's best defensive players.Still only 2 doubles for the $10,000,000 man.

156. Joe Seamhead - May 4, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Happy that Danny got a hit, but wish he had done it earlier when there were runners on the corners.

157. peric - May 4, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Howard is probably a "political" appointment.

158. Steady Eddie - May 4, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Stras not missing so many bats now…

159. Steady Eddie - May 4, 2013 at 9:20 PM

And I wrote that before he gave up a dinger to the #8 hitter.

160. peric - May 4, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Stras is getting hammered again …

161. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Stras just doesn't exhibit much mental toughness.

162. Joe Seamhead - May 4, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Just curious, does anybody remember Espy having a sac. fly in past two years? I'm sure he must have, but I can't remember him having one.

163. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 9:25 PM

What does Hurdle winning his 700th game, most with the Rockies, have to do with how long the Pirates have been in existence?This Howard guy is wierd.

164. Joe Seamhead - May 4, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Never mind, I looked it up. Espy had two sac flies last year.

165. waddu eye no - May 4, 2013 at 9:30 PM

charlie and dave are about 4 seconds ahead of fox. worth the delay.

166. peric - May 4, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Howard is probably a relative of Cantor.

167. baseballswami - May 4, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Joe — not much of a good situational hitter. Same approach no matter what is happening on the game. And you know what that is. Power or whiff, mostly whiff.

168. Steamer - May 4, 2013 at 9:32 PM

He's not a Pittsburgh play by play guy he has to be from Fox I live in the Altoona,Pa area and they don't have a Howard guy

169. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 9:32 PM

And Espinosa's whiffs Stink.

170. peric - May 4, 2013 at 9:33 PM

And you know what that is. Power or whiff, mostly whiff.Still managed to attain basically the same OBP as Lombo with a much higher SLG and ISO though.

171. Drew - May 4, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Last year Strasburg gave up 15 homers in 28 starts.This year he's allowed 5 homers five innings into his seventh start.

172. Joe Seamhead - May 4, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Come on , Tyler Moore!

173. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 9:37 PM

OK Tyler.Time to do it.

174. David Proctor - May 4, 2013 at 9:40 PM

WELCOME BACK WILSON!

175. Drew - May 4, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Atta boy, Wilson!

176. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Good job Wilson. Your Momma has to be proud.

177. David Proctor - May 4, 2013 at 9:42 PM

The Shark is absolutely lost at the plate. Lost.

178. Rich P. - May 4, 2013 at 9:43 PM

This PBP guy sounds even more confused than Johnny Holliday.

179. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Did this announcer just say the Reds lead the Cubs 6-4 in the 6th when that game has been over for 90 minutes?

180. Drew - May 4, 2013 at 9:45 PM

I think there's a good chance Kobernus will beat out Bernie for a bench role next year. Even if his scalding bat is a fluke, he has speed and great versatility, playing outfield, second and third.

181. BxJaycobb - May 4, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Honest to god I am now enjoying this guy. I've just accepted that he is either on drugs, drunk, or demented, and it's amusing.

182. Dave - May 4, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Did y'all hear that?! N A T S Nats Nats Nats, twice, with a woo on the end, live on the Fox broadcast from PNC Park. Don't know who's out there from section 313, but way to go, peeps! Represent 313 on national TV!

183. Joe Seamhead - May 4, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Yes, Dave, we heard the 313 chant,too!

184. Dave - May 4, 2013 at 9:50 PM

LOL. Howard messes up Matt Vaskergian's (sp?) name when throwing it back to the studio. And FP saved his butt. FP is the winner of this broadcast team today.

185. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Charlie and Dave acknowledged the Nats NatsNats chant early in their broadcast.

186. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 9:53 PM

What is with Strasberg?

187. baseballswami - May 4, 2013 at 9:56 PM

We have now scored four, count rhem, four runs!!!! Stras better not complain about run support today. He should be able to keep it at less than four. He looks awful.

188. David Proctor - May 4, 2013 at 9:57 PM

I think Strasburg misunderstood when Davey says to attack hitters. He's hit two today.

189. Dave - May 4, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Good one, David P. I was thinking of that HBP in the first as a one-pitch walk.

190. Joe Seamhead - May 4, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Hey, Jack, how'd you like that AB by Danny? Don't hold back, now.

191. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Espinosa Stinks.

192. Joe Seamhead - May 4, 2013 at 10:01 PM

LOL! David.

193. baseballswami - May 4, 2013 at 10:07 PM

One pitch walks are more pitch efficient. You know, there are pitchers I enjoy watching. Stras not do much. Mound demeanor is not formidable.

194. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 10:09 PM

OK Tyler. Third time has to be the charm 'cause the Marlins may want a little more for Giancarlo if you continue to fail. PLEASE COME THROUGH THIS TIME!

195. Joe Seamhead - May 4, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Who is this guy, and ever let him into a baseball booth?I'll bet a drink on the NIDO that Tyler gets a hit.

196. David Proctor - May 4, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Tyler has had the bases loaded twice and hasn't been able to drive any in.

197. NatsJack in Florida - May 4, 2013 at 10:14 PM

That Tyler Moore and a couple of pitchers for Giancarlo Stanton may not happen if this keeps up.

198. Joe Seamhead - May 4, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Damn it, Tyler.Probably cost me a Flying Dog.

199. Depot Master - May 4, 2013 at 10:15 PM

This is ridiculous. Do the Nats have no idea about how to let people pressure themselves into losing? You'd think the age in the dugout would inform Tyler Moore to not swing until something crosses the plate. Morris came in and would have walked Moore if he'd let him!

200. Joe Seamhead - May 4, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Maybe if we threw Espy in they'd make the trade, Jack