May 4, 2013, 11:04 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Stephen Strasburg allowed four runs (on two two-run homers) in seven innings.
Game in a nutshell: Davey Johnson gathered his players for a rare team meeting before they took the field for batting practice, telling them to relax and not put too much pressure on themselves. In some respects, the Nationals were able to do that, but they still didn't play a picture-perfect ballgame. Stephen Strasburg was victimized by a pair of two-run homers but battled through seven innings, striking out eight. His teammates scored an equal four runs while he was in the game, getting sacrifice flies from Ian Desmond and Adam LaRoche, then a clutch, two-run single from Wilson Ramos. They had plenty of chances to add to that but wound up going 1-for-12 with runners in scoring position. The Nationals finally pushed home the winning run thanks to a surprise double-steal from Ryan Zimmerman and LaRoche in the top of the ninth, with Tyler Moore then lofting a sacrifice fly to bring Zimmerman homer. Rafael Soriano closed it out and gave the Nats a much-needed, one-run victory.
Hitting highlight: They struggled all day to drive runners home, so the Nationals resorted to trickery to plate the winning run in theRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent