May 4, 2013, 1:53 AM EDT
Ross Detwiler lasted only five innings, allowing three runs.
Game in a nutshell: After back-to-back wins in Atlanta, the Nationals arrived in Pittsburgh looking to keep the momentum going in an upward direction. But they ran into a buzzsaw in A.J. Burnett. The veteran right-hander dominated over seven innings, allowing only one run while striking out nine to add to his league-leading total. Ross Detwiler, meanwhile, was a bit off, serving up a pair of home runs that gave the Pirates a 3-1 lead. That wouldn't have been a problem had the Nationals' lineup been able to produce, but the return of Ryan Zimmerman from the disabled list didn't do much of anything to inject life into that unit. With Bryce Harper also in a mini-slump (1-for-16), the Nats were again silenced by an opposing pitching staff and thus suffered a frustrating loss that dropped them back to the .500 mark at 15-15.
Hitting lowlight: The Nationals had been hoping for two weeks that Zimmerman's return from a hamstring strain would doRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Sunday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Sunday's early games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter
- LaRoche: Nats unlikely to bring me back in '15
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1
- Barrett's role expanding with September surge
- Strasburg starts, but several regulars sit today
- As Nats hold breath, Zimmerman passes test
- Nationals win in Zimmerman's return
- Zimmerman begins race to get ready for October