May 4, 2013, 1:53 AM EDT
Ross Detwiler lasted only five innings, allowing three runs.
Game in a nutshell: After back-to-back wins in Atlanta, the Nationals arrived in Pittsburgh looking to keep the momentum going in an upward direction. But they ran into a buzzsaw in A.J. Burnett. The veteran right-hander dominated over seven innings, allowing only one run while striking out nine to add to his league-leading total. Ross Detwiler, meanwhile, was a bit off, serving up a pair of home runs that gave the Pirates a 3-1 lead. That wouldn't have been a problem had the Nationals' lineup been able to produce, but the return of Ryan Zimmerman from the disabled list didn't do much of anything to inject life into that unit. With Bryce Harper also in a mini-slump (1-for-16), the Nats were again silenced by an opposing pitching staff and thus suffered a frustrating loss that dropped them back to the .500 mark at 15-15.
Hitting lowlight: The Nationals had been hoping for two weeks that Zimmerman's return from a hamstring strain would doRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 1st place Nationals try to take another in Cincinnati
- Roark, Nats win 4-1, hand Reds seventh-straight loss
- Denard Span leading the way for Nats in July
- Roark, Nats look to bounce back in Game 100 of 2014 season
- The Baseball Show: Should the Nats make a trade? (VIDEO)
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats trending up after big week
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Nationals Stock Watch: Strasburg's road struggles continue
- Aaron Barrett wins patriotic staring contest before Nats-Rockies game