May 5, 2013, 1:18 AM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Ryan Zimmerman scores the winning run in the top of the ninth.
PITTSBURGH — They’d given themselves scoring opportunities all afternoon, but with a lineup that continues to sputter along through the season’s first month-plus, the Nationals had to resort to their bag of tricks to produce the game-winning run in Saturday’s 5-4 squeaker over the Pirates.
A double steal? In the top of the ninth inning? Of a tie game? With Ryan Zimmerman and Adam LaRoche on the basepaths?
“I would have thought those were the last two guys who were going to steal,” said Tyler Moore, who was standing at the plate at the time and had no advance knowledge what was about to happen.
Hey, whatever it takes to manufacture a run. After Zimmerman and LaRoche shocked all 29,975 people inside PNC Park — most notably Pittsburgh reliever Tony Watson — Moore delivered the sacrifice fly that brought Zimmerman home and gave the Nationals a much-needed victory on a day in which Stephen Strasburg was better but still not at his best.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Werth officially set to return from DL vs. Miami
- Nats' NL East rival trades for former fan favorite Clippard
- State of the Nats: Thinking big before the trade deadline?
- Strasburg to take big step in rehab on Wednesday
- Report: Padres wanted ex-prospect back from Nats in Kimbrel trade
- The Baseball Show: A rough start to the second half
- Brutal stretch for Nats has end in sight; Taylor's heating up
- Cole pitches Pirates past Nationals 3-1
- Rendon sits, as Nats aim for series split with Pirates
- Does weeklong tear mean Desmond is back?