May 5, 2013, 1:18 AM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Ryan Zimmerman scores the winning run in the top of the ninth.
PITTSBURGH — They’d given themselves scoring opportunities all afternoon, but with a lineup that continues to sputter along through the season’s first month-plus, the Nationals had to resort to their bag of tricks to produce the game-winning run in Saturday’s 5-4 squeaker over the Pirates.
A double steal? In the top of the ninth inning? Of a tie game? With Ryan Zimmerman and Adam LaRoche on the basepaths?
“I would have thought those were the last two guys who were going to steal,” said Tyler Moore, who was standing at the plate at the time and had no advance knowledge what was about to happen.
Hey, whatever it takes to manufacture a run. After Zimmerman and LaRoche shocked all 29,975 people inside PNC Park — most notably Pittsburgh reliever Tony Watson — Moore delivered the sacrifice fly that brought Zimmerman home and gave the Nationals a much-needed victory on a day in which Stephen Strasburg was better but still not at his best.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Harper voted All-Star starter in record-breaking fashion
- Many unknowns in Strasburg's latest injury
- Strasburg placed on the 15-day DL with oblique strain
- For Nats, second half begins with high expectations
- Strasburg exits early in Nationals' 9-3 win
- Strasburg leaves game early due to apparent injury
- Harper on using patriotic bat on the Fourth: "Why not?"
- Nats rolling out special Fourth of July uniforms vs. Giants
- Robinson's seventh-inning homer good enough for 2-1 win
- Gonzalez heads to the mound to start series vs. Giants