May 5, 2013, 3:09 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats try to take two of three at PNC Park this afternoon.
PITTSBURGH — The Nationals have an opportunity today to snag a series victory over the Pirates and finish this road trip 4-3, but to do that they'll need strong outing out of Gio Gonzalez. For all the attention on Stephen Strasburg during his erratic start to the season, Gonzalez has been far more erratic, producing only two quality starts out of six and failing to reach the sixth inning four times.
So a strong performance from last year's 21-game winner today would certainly go a long way toward putting the Nationals in position to emerge victorious at PNC Park. Gonzalez will be facing an, um, interesting Pirates lineup that features Russell Martin at third base and Brandon Inge in right field. Stop and think about that for a moment. Yeah, I don't understand Clint Hurdle's logic, either.
Still waiting on Davey Johnson's lineup, which is probably contingent on Denard Span's status. Span, who missed yesterday's game with a bruised left foot after fouling a pitch off it Friday night, said afterward it was feeling better and was hopeful he could play today. We'll see. [UPDATE AT 12:00 P.M. — Span is indeed starting, as is Wilson Ramos, catching back-to-back games for the first time this season.]
Updates to come…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at PITTSBURGH PIRATES
Where: PNC Park
Gametime: 1:35 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Mostly sunny, 68 degrees, Wind 15 mph in from CF
CF Denard Span
SS Ian Desmond
LF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nationals respond to Williams' challenge, beat Cards
- Nats strike early on Wacha, beat Cardinals 3-1
- Span to join Nats on Saturday after second rehab game
- Ramos takes first swings since breaking left hand
- Denard Span on track to return to Nats this weekend
- Nats call up Xavier Cedeno, send Blake Treinen to Syracuse
- Nationals need a bounce-back vs. Cardinals
- Errors cost Nationals in ugly loss to Cardinals
- The Baseball Show: How can Strasburg turn it around?
- Bryce Harper travels through time in new ad (VIDEO)