May 5, 2013, 3:09 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats try to take two of three at PNC Park this afternoon.
PITTSBURGH — The Nationals have an opportunity today to snag a series victory over the Pirates and finish this road trip 4-3, but to do that they'll need strong outing out of Gio Gonzalez. For all the attention on Stephen Strasburg during his erratic start to the season, Gonzalez has been far more erratic, producing only two quality starts out of six and failing to reach the sixth inning four times.
So a strong performance from last year's 21-game winner today would certainly go a long way toward putting the Nationals in position to emerge victorious at PNC Park. Gonzalez will be facing an, um, interesting Pirates lineup that features Russell Martin at third base and Brandon Inge in right field. Stop and think about that for a moment. Yeah, I don't understand Clint Hurdle's logic, either.
Still waiting on Davey Johnson's lineup, which is probably contingent on Denard Span's status. Span, who missed yesterday's game with a bruised left foot after fouling a pitch off it Friday night, said afterward it was feeling better and was hopeful he could play today. We'll see. [UPDATE AT 12:00 P.M. — Span is indeed starting, as is Wilson Ramos, catching back-to-back games for the first time this season.]
Updates to come…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at PITTSBURGH PIRATES
Where: PNC Park
Gametime: 1:35 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Mostly sunny, 68 degrees, Wind 15 mph in from CF
CF Denard Span
SS Ian Desmond
LF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Werth could be out months after new test results on left wrist
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Al Galdi and Daniel Shiferaw
- Stars shine in Nats' 9th straight series win
- Harper, Scherzer power Nationals past Cubs
- Nats Stock Watch: Scherzer showing why he's the ace
- One more category Bryce Harper leads the NL in
- Some good, some really ugly in Nats loss
- Cubs' farm team trolls Nats, Wizards after walk-off win
- Around the NL East: Another week of drama for the Marlins
- Nationals lose tough one on walk-off vs. Cubs