Game 32: Nats at Pirates

May 5, 2013, 3:09 PM EST

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats try to take two of three at PNC Park this afternoon.

PITTSBURGH — The Nationals have an opportunity today to snag a series victory over the Pirates and finish this road trip 4-3, but to do that they'll need strong outing out of Gio Gonzalez. For all the attention on Stephen Strasburg during his erratic start to the season, Gonzalez has been far more erratic, producing only two quality starts out of six and failing to reach the sixth inning four times.

So a strong performance from last year's 21-game winner today would certainly go a long way toward putting the Nationals in position to emerge victorious at PNC Park. Gonzalez will be facing an, um, interesting Pirates lineup that features Russell Martin at third base and Brandon Inge in right field. Stop and think about that for a moment. Yeah, I don't understand Clint Hurdle's logic, either.

Still waiting on Davey Johnson's lineup, which is probably contingent on Denard Span's status. Span, who missed yesterday's game with a bruised left foot after fouling a pitch off it Friday night, said afterward it was feeling better and was hopeful he could play today. We'll see. [UPDATE AT 12:00 P.M. — Span is indeed starting, as is Wilson Ramos, catching back-to-back games for the first time this season.]

Updates to come…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at PITTSBURGH PIRATES
Where: PNC Park
Gametime: 1:35 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Mostly sunny, 68 degrees, Wind 15 mph in from CF

CF Denard Span
SS Ian Desmond
LF Bryce Harper

1. Eric - May 5, 2013 at 3:11 PM

A'ight, Gio, just rock and fire.Sure would like to make it through a week without a delayed line up release due to injury. Sheesh!

2. MicheleS - May 5, 2013 at 3:26 PM

GO GIO!!!! GYFNG!!!Stay cordial everyone.

3. NatsJack in Florida - May 5, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Span is lobbying to play today.

4. SonnyG10 - May 5, 2013 at 3:28 PM

GYFNG!!! Let's take the series today. Hit your spots, Gio!

5. MicheleS - May 5, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I am kind of hoping Bryce gets a day off. He looks like he is hurting when he is a the plate. That bruise needs some time to heal.

6. NatsJack in Florida - May 5, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Michelle……he'll get 2 days if he's out today. I'm guessing he's in today.

7. Joe Seamhead - May 5, 2013 at 3:46 PM

8. Section 222 - May 5, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Stay thirsty my friends.

9. Joe Seamhead - May 5, 2013 at 3:47 PM

MicheleS, Bryce's situation brings to mind a famous Dear Abby line: "Are you better off with him, or without him?" With Werth and Span out yesterday, I was glad for him to be able to play. I agree that a day or two off would probably do him a world of good.

10. NatsJack in Florida - May 5, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Yep. Both Span and Harper are in according to Mark's tweet.

11. Gonat - May 5, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Ramos going again today?

12. NatsJack in Florida - May 5, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Yes. According to his tweet he is.

13. Sec. 3, My Comfortability Sofa - May 5, 2013 at 3:57 PM

If I may suggest a topic today: plate discipline. As in, show a little … don't feed the wrong wolf.

14. Sec. 3, My Comfortability Sofa - May 5, 2013 at 3:59 PM

15. NatsJack in Florida - May 5, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Just looked at the lineup cards posted by Ladson and it's the same as Mark's.Span 8, Desmond 6, Harper 7, Zim 5, ALR 3, Moore 9, Stinks 4, Ramos 2, Gio 1.

16. Secret wasian man - May 5, 2013 at 4:00 PM

No walks no walks no walks.

17. Secret wasian man - May 5, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Nats jack. Lay off Danny. It's getting old.

18. Harpo - May 5, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Ramos needs to learn how to catch Gio. He did a terrible job last time out.

19. MicheleS - May 5, 2013 at 4:09 PM

JoeS.. we are always better off if Bryce plays. I am just a worrywart.

20. NatsJack in Florida - May 5, 2013 at 4:11 PM

So is Danny's inability to hit Major League pitching.Just get to an anemic .230 and I'll lay off.

21. Joe Seamhead - May 5, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Facing Wandy is no cake walk.I was a little jealous when we didn't get him.

22. JaneB - May 5, 2013 at 4:18 PM

But we all have to suffer through the Danny hate till he does. We're suffering enough already. Do pitchers ever get to "prefer" a catcher, or do they just throw to whom they're told?Rock and fire is RIGHT, Gio! GYFNG!

23. Eric - May 5, 2013 at 4:22 PM

"Just get to an anemic .230 and I'll lay off."Espi's gotten a hit in both games since he came off the bench. I propose you lay off until he goes hitless again (unless he's already hit .230+ by then).

24. Harpo - May 5, 2013 at 4:24 PM

"Harpo said… Ramos needs to learn how to catch Gio. He did a terrible job last time out."Fake Harpo better find his/her own name.

25. Harpo - May 5, 2013 at 4:25 PM

I'm sure it's one of the elitists trying to discredit me. We all know who the elitists are in the Insiders.

26. Section 222 - May 5, 2013 at 4:27 PM

So what's the explanation for Ramos playing two days straight even though Zuki is Gio's favored catcher? Reward for that clutch hit yesterday? Zuki a bit worn down from all the work while Ramos was hurt? Davey trying to lay this favored catcher stuff to rest once and for all?

27. 3on2out - May 5, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Taking my cue from Nat Jack unboxing his Strasburg bobblehead yesterday, I took my Gio Bobblehead out of the box this morning. When I pulled the two clear plastic molds apart, Gio's glove arm fell off. I don't know what the implications of that are…I'm just saying. I'm on my way to Strosnider's to get some super glue before the first pitch…but nevertheless…I felt compelled to share.

28. Harpo - May 5, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Fake Harpo has set up a blocked Profilehttp://www.blogger.com/profile/13147290573966561009

29. Eric - May 5, 2013 at 4:31 PM

"So what's the explanation for Ramos playing two days straight even though Zuki is Gio's favored catcher?"Second time in a row, right? My theory is Davey is trying to make sure all the pitchers are comfortable with both catchers…

30. NatsJack in Florida - May 5, 2013 at 4:31 PM

31. Eric - May 5, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Section222, the bumper sticker is a custom job that I had printed at psprint.com.I have 25 and a number of those are promised out to others. If any remain or if I order more, I will certainly let you know.

32. NatsLady - May 5, 2013 at 4:39 PM

33. Gonat - May 5, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Ramos is 7-2 in games he catches this season.

34. NatsLady - May 5, 2013 at 4:41 PM

It's predicted to rain Tuesday and Wednesday. Might get an extra day off… odd week. Like the Nats, the Tigers also have off-days Monday and Thursday (they head home after seeing us). Both teams have an off-day on Monday June 3 when the Tigers are in the neighborhood (they are in Ballmer for the weekend of May31-June 2). Wonder which off-day the teams would want to give up if it rains on Wednesday.

35. MicheleS - May 5, 2013 at 4:42 PM

3on2out.. arm falling off, not good, so to I went and got my GIO bobblehead.. happy to report he is in one piece

36. Harpo - May 5, 2013 at 4:46 PM

"NatsJack in Florida said… The last 10 games, Danny is hitting .184. Take away the 2 St. Louis games at the beginning where he went 0-7, he's hitting .225 for the last 8 games.Anyway you cut it….. well you know what that means."Don't flip/flop old man. Sounds like you want to go back to supporting young Danny.

37. MicheleS - May 5, 2013 at 4:48 PM

NatsLady.. I have tickets to both games vs the Tigers..I hope we can get at least one of them in. I want to see JZ pitch vs the Tigers lineup.

38. Eric - May 5, 2013 at 4:49 PM

"well you know what that means."You don't accept my proposal? The benching was for one purpose, and one purpose only, and so far he seems to have taken it to heart. I think that should be taken into account.But, it's your crusade. I'm just sick of the word "stinks". I feel like I'm in 4th grade whenever I read it ;).

39. Gonat - May 5, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Gonat said… Ramos is 7-2 in games he catches this season. May 05, 2013 12:39 PM _______________________________Did you just get your MASN text of the day "Nationals are 7-2 when Ramos starts behind plate"

40. NatsJack in Florida - May 5, 2013 at 4:55 PM

And that's precisely what it's meant for Eric. I really want Danny to succeed and only adopted it last week in DC while attending the Cards series. It seemed to work when he broke out on his birthday against the Reds but that didn't last long.Hitting .230 is nothing to brag about but what he's been lately…. well all season, rates as unacceptable.

41. BigCat - May 5, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Tigers coming in Tuesday. Jeez….where's all the easy teams? Where's Bo Porter and his double A Astros when you need them? Tigers pounded them 17-2 last night. Got 20 something hits. Poor Bo. They are gonna lose 100 games this year.

42. Harpo - May 5, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Eric, NatsJack has reverted back to 4th Grade and thats what really stinks. He will tell you his belittling of Espinosa has turned around his season with his magical powers.

43. Knoxville Nat - May 5, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Completely off topic but I'm asking NI's for some help. I'm going to be in San Diego next week for a business conference of sorts and might have the opportunity to see the Nats play the Padres either on Thursday the 16th or Friday the 17th. Has anyone here ever been to Petco Field (or whatever)and what suggestions would you make on where to sit, best beer stands, food, etc? Thanks for your help.

44. NatsLady - May 5, 2013 at 5:09 PM

BigCat, got the Cubs after the Tigers. Ejax, hmmmm, not so great. o-4, ERA 6.27, WHIP 1.606. Striking guys out (but who isn't?). He's pitching today, so we could see him Friday.

45. Eric - May 5, 2013 at 5:11 PM

46. Eric - May 5, 2013 at 5:14 PM

"And that's precisely what it's meant for Eric. … It seemed to work when he broke out on his birthday against the Reds but that didn't last long."Wait, does Espi read here? Awesome! Hi Danny!;)

47. BigCat - May 5, 2013 at 5:15 PM

I wanted him over Haren. Also Lannan. Lannan is 0-1 with a 6 something ERA. Guess thats why Im not GM and Rizzo is.

48. BigCat - May 5, 2013 at 5:16 PM

We will make him look like Bob Gibson. He'll probably blank us

49. Harpo - May 5, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Ray Knight talking about moving up in the box with 2 strikes in his Espinosa example.

50. Harpo - May 5, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Don't worry Eric. Espinosa doesn't need to read here. NatsJack has a direct line into Rizzo to tell him and we know thats true because thats his avatar on Twitter.

51. johnny nats - May 5, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Did someone say have a cordial? All I have is left over mint juleps.Lets go Gio, lets go offense. Go you bleepin Natties!

52. Harpo - May 5, 2013 at 5:19 PM

After Danny gets 3 hits today the elitists will say how the benching made him better.

53. NatsJack in Florida - May 5, 2013 at 5:22 PM

54. NatsLady - May 5, 2013 at 5:23 PM

EJax is walking almost as many guys as Gio… 4.64 BB/9 compared to Gio 5.06 BB/9 so he can't blame it all on the Cubs D.

55. MicheleS - May 5, 2013 at 5:24 PM

I wonder if Manassas' Zim jersey made it to the game?

56. johnny nats - May 5, 2013 at 5:24 PM

I'm thinking Davey wants Ramos and Gio getting used to each other, so they don't get thrown in as a battery of convenience in sept. Last year I think zook almost exclusively caught Gio.

57. Harpo - May 5, 2013 at 5:25 PM

"NatsJack in Florida said… Wandy Rodriguez can be tough. Like you, Big Cat, I thought he might be a good acquisition but 3 lefties in your rotation isn't good unless the 3rd one is Price or Kershaw."Is that right? When did you ever have an original idea on an acquisition? I think you are stealing others ideas once again. Did you tell it to Mark or someone else because you never posted it here.There you go again playing UPS but this time you are oh, about a year late and a $1 short.

58. NatsLady - May 5, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Price not so great this year. Very bad yesterday, got blasted by the Rox. http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?id=priceda01&t=p&year=2013

59. Drew - May 5, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Knoxville:I was in San Diego on business in '96 and caught a game, but that must have been at the Murph. I recall it was pleasant — great weather, nice fans, easy access and good Tex-Mex eats. Petco looks great.The funny part was the ride in from the airport. The cabbie apologized for the humidity. It was about 78 degrees with ocean breezes.I said: "This isn't humidity! Come to Washington in August when we're peeling the shirts off our backs."

60. Knoxville Nat - May 5, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Drew said,"This isn't humidity! Come to Washington in August when we're peeling the shirts off our backs." Or in east Tennessee where humidity starts in early June!Thanks for the tips.

61. Harpo - May 5, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Will Wandy stay outside on Zimm or come in on him. Today will be a big day for Ryan Z. either way! I have my metric ruler ready!

62. 3on2out - May 5, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Gio is back together for the first pitch…

63. peric - May 5, 2013 at 5:38 PM

If Harper continues slumping he will in all likelihood get a couple of days off … much to his chagrin. That is if the slump continues. I'd expect Davey might do that when Werth gets back.

64. NatsJack in Florida - May 5, 2013 at 5:39 PM

You're right, NatsLady. Price hasn't been good at all this season. Doesn't mean I wouldn't want him on any team I'm rooting for.

65. NatsLady - May 5, 2013 at 5:40 PM

LOL, Carp. "Bob Davidson, looking for Balls, Strikes and Balks behind the plate."

66. Section 222 - May 5, 2013 at 5:41 PM

If any remain or if I order more, I will certainly let you know.Thanks Eric. Very cool.

67. Gonat - May 5, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Bryce wasn't close to swinging.

68. Nats106 - May 5, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Someody needs to spit in Hershbecks face again. What an ass.

69. NatsLady - May 5, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Got tossed, though. Can't argue, have to swallow it. They went to commercial, did Davey get run also?

70. NatsLady - May 5, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Hate to say it, probably for the best. Harper looked a little better today, but still needs a day off. Well, now, two days off.

71. NatsJack in Florida - May 5, 2013 at 5:45 PM

They haven't shown a side view yet but I think he went.But Hirshbeck is an ass.

72. NatsLady - May 5, 2013 at 5:46 PM

O, Gio.

73. Timothy Folk - May 5, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Hate MLB umpires… your not as important as the players

74. 3on2out - May 5, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Bryce is getting a couple days off after all…

75. NatsJack in Florida - May 5, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Although the view from the back looks like maybe not. Really need that side view.

76. JaneB - May 5, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Sometimes I think all the venom I have ever had in my just gets charged by idiot umpires like Hershbeck. Bryce didn't swing. He gets to question that. No way he should have been tossed. SETTLE DOWN GIO!

77. Dan Strong - May 5, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Well.. That didn't take long.

78. Section 222 - May 5, 2013 at 5:47 PM

What a start to the game. Ugh.At least Marte won't be stealing a base this inning.

79. Nats106 - May 5, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Exactly-nobody goes to see an umpire ump. Especially that mental midget.

80. Gonat - May 5, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Good time for me to turn off my computer as I think it's going to get ugly around here.

81. NatsJack in Florida - May 5, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Gio's throwing strikes but the wrong kind.

82. NatsLady - May 5, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Exactly what Andrelton SImmons did the last time Gio pitched–first pitch, home run.

83. Pvdfan - May 5, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Only the bottom of the first and already an ugly game.

84. Dan Strong - May 5, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Boy.. I really missed Zimms errors.

85. NatsJack in Florida - May 5, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Uh oh…..

86. Harpo - May 5, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Ramos doing a terrible job of catching Gio again today.

87. JaneB - May 5, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Now I'm going to sound like one of the people I complain about, but all runners from opposing teams would be nuts to not run out every play to first because Zimm is no longer the clean shot that he used to be.

88. peric - May 5, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Rendon IS NOT going to second base Ghost sorry. He's going to be playing third.

89. NatsLady - May 5, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Wilson, go out and talk to your pitcher!!!! Desi, someone???

90. Exposremains - May 5, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Here we go. Zim cant throw the baseball. You could see that coming for miles

91. peric - May 5, 2013 at 5:50 PM

I'll take the errors if the damned ALL World bat wakes up and starts producing.

92. Harpo - May 5, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Don't worry, this is Zimmerman's muscle memory. Not a big deal.

93. EmDash - May 5, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Looking like one of those games, oy. Ump show! Bad Gio! Errors! It's the full package.

94. Pvdfan - May 5, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Always great to see a mount visit before the first out is made.

95. peric - May 5, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Gio is imploding it seems. Get Stammen up.

96. johnny nats - May 5, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Keep calm keep calm

97. peric - May 5, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Don't worry, this is Zimmerman's muscle memory. Not a big deal.Wasn't this bad with the abdomen tear or the cortisone shoulder. No, its time for Zim to move … and that's coming up nigh on the horizon.

98. peric - May 5, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Meanwhile, just hit Zim and don't get hung up about the errors. Just hit please.

99. Knoxville Nat - May 5, 2013 at 5:55 PM

I don't know why Hirshbeck couldn't have simply turned away after calling the strike and walked away. Instead it looks as if he was searching for an opportunity to throw Harper out of the game.

100. johnny nats - May 5, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Harp held both arms up in the air with his bat in it. You can say anything you want, just don't show up the ump in front of the fans. He's learning.

101. David Proctor - May 5, 2013 at 5:59 PM

How in the world did Gio escape that jam?

102. NatsLady - May 5, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Whew! Good job, Gio! Now, let's get some offense.

103. NatsJack in Florida - May 5, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Great job by Gio.

104. Joe Seamhead - May 5, 2013 at 6:01 PM

I think Hirshback came to the parklanning to throw Harper out of the game. What a horse's posterior.

105. NatsLady - May 5, 2013 at 6:01 PM

106. EmDash - May 5, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Harper shouldn't have reacted like that, but no other player in baseball would've been ejected for that little in the first inning. It's crazy. And the ump walking toward him like he was trying to pick a fight is unacceptable.Great play by Desi, though.

107. NatsLady - May 5, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Whatever McCatty says–he works another miracle. Get a copyright.

108. NatsLady - May 5, 2013 at 6:05 PM

That's all Adam needed? Hitting tips from Chipper and a trip to Pittsburgh?

109. NatsJack in Florida - May 5, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Man Chipper Jones must be a genious. Maybe he can work with Espinosa for a day or so?

110. David Proctor - May 5, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Moore with RISP = Yikes. And now we have Espinosa coming up.

111. NatsJack in Florida - May 5, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Tyler has to be better than that in that situation.

112. David Proctor - May 5, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Damn that's a home run if not for the wind.

113. johnny nats - May 5, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Good ab Danny boy.

114. Knoxville Nat - May 5, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Good AB from Danny!

115. NatsJack in Florida - May 5, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Solid swing by Danny. Good job.

116. JaneB - May 5, 2013 at 6:11 PM

NatsJack, Espi is doing better. I think you should take all remaining bobble heads out of their boxes. Start with Gio's if you have it.

117. Joe Seamhead - May 5, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Hirshback has been a very sick man for a long time. No, I'm being serious. He has missed whole seasons due to back pain and testicle cancer. Hey, I'm happy with the score being tied after the way it started out.I'll take a sac fly from Espinosa over a K anytime

118. SCNatsFan - May 5, 2013 at 6:14 PM

I think Eck needs to remind our hitters with two strikes you need to swing if it it close; when it is 3-0 you can pick your pitch not then.

119. Section 222 - May 5, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Knoxville Nat — re: your request for info on Petco Park. There's woman named Jenn Jenson who has commented here in the past, and also had her own blog, Natsfangirl.com, though it looks like she hasn't posted this year. But she posted lots of stuff about a trip to Petco a few years ago. Natsnut might know how to reach her for you.

120. Joe Seamhead - May 5, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Didn't sjm308 go to Petco last year? If he did, I'm sure he could answer all beer questions!

121. BxJaycobb - May 5, 2013 at 6:20 PM

You simply can't win many baseball games with a 3B who throws the ball away half the time. period. if this doesn't change soon, something needs to happen.

122. NatsLady - May 5, 2013 at 6:21 PM

ATL just scored against Jon Niese. 2 on with 1 out.

123. NatsLady - May 5, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Oooops, Freeman doubled. 3-0 ATL.

124. Steady Eddie - May 5, 2013 at 6:24 PM

SCNats — you're right but it should be JDub and Span giving lessons in protecting the plate with two strikes. It's also a part of learning what pitches you can or can't do something with, and how to foul off the ones you can't. Tough skill, includes knowing about and reading different pitchers, but those two vets could teach a lot.

125. Knoxville Nat - May 5, 2013 at 6:25 PM

222, thanks for the referral. I'll check it out and see what I can learn.GYFNG!

126. NatsLady - May 5, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Another run on a wild pitch, and Niese walks the next guy. There was a funny diagram on Twitter yesterday. Basically, the Mets don't lose when either (a) Harvey is pitching or (b) it rains.

127. NatsLady - May 5, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Getting bad in Atlanta when both B.J. Upton and Reed Johnson get singles. 5-0 and….. Niese walks the pitcher….

128. Steady Eddie - May 5, 2013 at 6:31 PM

That fifth pitch curve to Span was exactly was I was talking about re strategic fouls. Curve right on the lower outside corner could not be hit anywhere effectively. But DSpan just effortlessly reached out and poked it out if play to save the AB — and then proceeded to poke the next strike for an infield hit.

129. David Proctor - May 5, 2013 at 6:34 PM

I get Roger was forced into the lineup today because Harper was ejected…but dear god he is LOST. I said it yesterday too. He can't buy a hit to save his life.

130. NatsLady - May 5, 2013 at 6:36 PM

David Wright, 2 run homer after Hudson walks the lead off batter. 5-2 ATL.

131. Dan Strong - May 5, 2013 at 6:36 PM

5 Strikeouts in 3 innings. Our guys sure know how to swing and miss.

132. SCNatsFan - May 5, 2013 at 6:36 PM

How long do you give roger to figure it out? Not like we don't have guys on the farm who can't hit .035 here.

133. Harpo - May 5, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Any time Espinosa does something well we can thank the great one NatsJack. All hail!

134. NatsJack in Florida - May 5, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Gotta put the bat on the ball and Roger is just not seeing it.I could watch the replay of yesterdays throw over and over though.

135. Harpo - May 5, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Interesting, Gio is throwing changeups at a large proportion, who will take credit for that on the Insiders? I know someone mentioned it, must be Rule #1 Ghost if he hasn't gone away. Where are you Ghost. We know you said it! Probably NatsJack will mention it tomorrow.

136. EmDash - May 5, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Not sure what to do about Roger. Not many of our players (especially the Goon Squad) have been hitting, but the Shark's just looked lost constantly.

137. NatsLady - May 5, 2013 at 6:41 PM

LOL, Mark DeRosa with a HR. I mean, if he gets going that should solve the Jays' problems….

138. NatsJack in Florida - May 5, 2013 at 6:45 PM

If Gio can get the curve working with his change and well located fastball, he could and should get to the 8th inning.

139. Dan Strong - May 5, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Great AB by Zimm. He's looking much better at the plate.

140. Joe Seamhead - May 5, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Harpo, stop! Enough.

141. NatsJack in Florida - May 5, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Zim to right. Gota love it.

142. NatsLady - May 5, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I thought Davey told the boys to take the bat off their shoulder. Tyler Moore not at the meeting?

143. David Proctor - May 5, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Balkin Bob Davidson strikes again.

144. NatsJack in Florida - May 5, 2013 at 6:55 PM

As much as I like the kid, I've just about seen enough of Tyler at the ML level. He needs consistent at bats and he won't get them at this level.

145. SCNatsFan - May 5, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Our bench players look lost. For a hitter Moore looks like he is perplexed by a breaking ball. Swing the damn bat.

146. NatsLady - May 5, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Danny BOY!!!!!!

147. David Proctor - May 5, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Danny has looked so much better lately. I'll get off his case TEMPORARILY. I hope he keeps it up though.

148. Joe Seamhead - May 5, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Espy smells a little better now, Jack!

149. Dan Strong - May 5, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Nice two-run homer. Good at bat all around.

150. NatsJack in Florida - May 5, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Now that's more like it Danny!

151. johnny nats - May 5, 2013 at 6:58 PM

DAANNY EESSS-PIN-OOSSA!Great ab, 0-2 count and kept fighting. Keep it up!

152. Secret wasian man - May 5, 2013 at 6:59 PM

How dare you call him Danny Nats Jack. That's Mr Stinks to you

153. SCNatsFan - May 5, 2013 at 6:59 PM

C'mon Danny hit that ball to right not left. Good hitters do that.Just kidding. Happy for the kid.

154. NatsJack in Florida - May 5, 2013 at 6:59 PM

155. MicheleS - May 5, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Good to see a dinger! And even Wilson getting in on the action. Can someone tell what Wandy did to get the balk call?

156. Secret wasian man - May 5, 2013 at 7:01 PM

On another note why is it always angel Hernandez, Tim Timmons and hershbeck who always give the nats a hard time?

157. SCNatsFan - May 5, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Michele he stepped too far towards home

158. A DC Wonk - May 5, 2013 at 7:04 PM

NatsJack in Florida said… I like the progress Joe but that brings him all the way to .189 which we all know, isn't good.But since Apr 25 (8 games plus this one) he's hitting .250

159. A DC Wonk - May 5, 2013 at 7:07 PM

NatsLady said… Whatever McCatty says–he works another miracle.I've seen McCatty do that so many times. What I wouldn't give to hear those conversations…

160. MicheleS - May 5, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Thanks SC. they didn't show a replay.

161. NatsJack in Florida - May 5, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Right Wonk….I follow his trends. His last 8 games – .225 going in to today.

162. 3on2out - May 5, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Don't give up on Tyler Moore. One of our resident experts designated Moore as the replacement for the largely worthless Denard Span. Not only is Span just a singles hitter…defense doesn't matter in baseball. I have learned SO much at this site!

163. NatsJack in Florida - May 5, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Idiot catcher setting up inside on Zim again. Why?

164. David Proctor - May 5, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Bad luck, but another good swing by Zimmerman there.

165. NatsJack in Florida - May 5, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Ahhh. So he can line out to 3rd. Now I ger it.

166. UnkyD - May 5, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Espinosa no stinko por ahora…….(Just saying….) :-)

167. Joe Seamhead - May 5, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Oh, hell, I'm admittedly a fickle fan. I really hope Espy is going to go on a hot streak. We're winning a game that I was feeling pretty uncertain about in the first inning! As to Moore, I agree that a AAA vacation would behoove him, with not just the bat, but also to get in more OF experience and instruction. Learning a new position is hard enough for a veteran, but it borders on unfair to what is basically a rookie to learn on the job in the majors. MicheleS,I thought he called it for the stutter step off the mound before he threw to first. That's all I saw, and it didn't look like a balk to me.

168. NatsJack in Florida - May 5, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Michele….when Span was on, Wandy put his good move on and I thought Davidson was going to cal a balk then.If you can go back, check his knee because the first movement is towards home before stepping towards first.The second time Davidson saw it, he called it. The first base ump would call the 45° rule.

169. NatsJack in Florida - May 5, 2013 at 7:26 PM

ALR is back. No worries here.

170. David Proctor - May 5, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Speaking of lost…right now Tyler is, unfortunately.

171. SCNatsFan - May 5, 2013 at 7:28 PM

No offense to Mississippi Nats fans but Tyler sure seems dumb

172. NatsJack in Florida - May 5, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Folks….. I'm afraid to say Roy Halladay may be done.

173. Dan Strong - May 5, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Tyler looks totally lost at the plate. Maybe we should fly Chipper in?

174. UnkyD - May 5, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Steady Eddie said…SCNats — you're right but it should be JDub and Span giving lessons in protecting the plate with two strikes. It's also a part of learning what pitches you can or can't do something with, and how to foul off the ones you can't. Tough skill, includes knowing about and reading different pitchers, but those two vets could teach a lot…………………Harold Baines could be that particular tutor… I read where he sort a significant amount of time just fouling off bad pitches, in BP (might have read that here, a couple years ago…so it might be, like, tainted elitist info…..just saying….) :)

175. NatsJack in Florida - May 5, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Tyler is a great kid but his developement has been stalled by his ML experience. This is what can happen with marginal talent that doesn't get fully developed.

176. A DC Wonk - May 5, 2013 at 7:32 PM

NatsJack in Florida said… Idiot catcher setting up inside on Zim again. Why?I just figured it out. The catcher must have been holding the scouting report upside down!

177. NatsJack in Florida - May 5, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Wonk….that explains it.

178. Knoxville Nat - May 5, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Maybe we should just offer the hitting coach position to Chipper.

179. A DC Wonk - May 5, 2013 at 7:35 PM

NatsJack in Florida said… Folks….. I'm afraid to say Roy Halladay may be done.Yowza. His ERA is up to 8.65 after today

180. Joe Seamhead - May 5, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Tyler isn't exactly leading us to the promised land so far, that's for sure. Phillies getting crushed.Halliday has been reduced to a horse that's been ridden hard and put away wet by Charlie Manuel. All those games in 2011 that Cholly left him in for 120-135 pitches just to get complete games out of him when they had big leads has taken its toll.

181. Joe Seamhead - May 5, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Jack, FP said he didn't see it on the balk.

182. NatsLady - May 5, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Harry Leroy Halladay–age 35. He could retire rich, or take a year off and reinvent himself.

183. NatsJack in Florida - May 5, 2013 at 7:44 PM

I've played it back several times, both on the one with Span that he didn't call and the one with Zim that he did. The knee definitelty moves toward home before stepping towards first.That's what Davidson called. Wandy nwver tried his A move after that.

184. BxJaycobb - May 5, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Most impressive outing by Go this year in my view. He was great against the Mets, yes, but I've never seen him weather a storm, calm himself, and then dominate quite like today. He pitched great against a pretty good team. Bravo.

185. BxJaycobb - May 5, 2013 at 7:45 PM

And I've also never seen him with as fantastic a change up. It almost didn't matter that he didn't have his curve.

186. A DC Wonk - May 5, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Phillies getting crushed.Halliday has been reduced to a horse that's been ridden hard and put away wet by Charlie Manuel. All those games in 2011 that Cholly left him in for 120-135 pitches just to get complete games out of him when they had big leads has taken its toll. Not just Manuel. He led the AL in complete games five times with Toronto, signed with Philly, and then led the NL in completes for his first two years there. Six straight years of 220+ innings starting at age 29. (Includes a year of 270 innings in 2010.There's a lot of miles on that there arm of his.

187. NatsLady - May 5, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Good point on being really carefull with a man on third. Just don't do anything clever. Now, that's just wrong. Every player should be able to get a bunt on the ground. Maybe not perfectly, but on the ground.

188. Dan Strong - May 5, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I think we should also have JZimm teach these players how to properly bunt. What a wasted out that was.

189. NatsJack in Florida - May 5, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Pathetic execution by Lombo. He'll beat himself up unmercifully for that.

190. NatsLady - May 5, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Or bring back Livo. Is he officially retired? Or is he around somewhere, I haven't heard?

191. Knoxville Nat - May 5, 2013 at 7:49 PM

SCNatsFan, What makes you think Tyler is dumb? Lack of hits? If that is the case you should add several more Nats to your description.

192. SCNatsFan - May 5, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Why are these guys not protecting the plate with two strikes? Why have we suddenly become the most stupid team in all the land?

193. NatsJack in Florida - May 5, 2013 at 7:49 PM

I think Livo is conferring with lawyers and the Feds in Miami on a plea deal.

194. SCNatsFan - May 5, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Knoxville because three times this game he has stood like a statue looking at strike three

195. NatsLady - May 5, 2013 at 7:51 PM

OK, bullpen's been decent lately. TIme to tough out this lead.

196. NatsJack in Florida - May 5, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Gio showed a toughness I seriously doubted that he had. Gotta love that.

197. Joe Seamhead - May 5, 2013 at 7:56 PM

OK, Bullpen Boys, just do it!Jack, I didn't go back to watch it, though they did show one replay and I saw a little stutter step by Wendy that I thought was construed by Davidson.. I have always gotten confused by how ambiguous umpires are when interpreting balks.I think Gio showed some true grit today.

198. Knoxville Nat - May 5, 2013 at 7:59 PM

"…..stood like a statue looking at strike three"Ah, the new Matt Stares!!

199. Joe Seamhead - May 5, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Oops, owe you a beer!

200. Joe Seamhead - May 5, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Well, Adam just earned a couple hundred grand!