May 5, 2013, 8:48 PM EDT
Gio Gonzalez survived a shaky first inning to earn a quality start.
Game in a nutshell: The finale of this series and the road trip began in crazy fashion, with Bryce Harper ejected after arguing a check-swing called by third base umpire John Hirschbeck in the top of the first. Gio Gonzalez then gave up a homer on the very first pitch he threw and loaded the bases with nobody out. But Gonzalez settled down and the rest of the Nationals followed suit. Danny Espinosa delivered a big, two-run homer in the fourth, and Tyler Moore added a three-run blast in the eighth. Drew Storen, Tyler Clippard and Rafael Soriano then closed out the victory, ending this road trip with four wins in five days and leaving the Nationals two games over .500 for the first time in more than a week.
Hitting highlight: Once again, just when it looked like he was going to have a nothing day, Tyler Moore suddenly made it all seem worthwhile. Yesterday, he struck out twice with the bases loadedRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Monday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Monday's games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Predicting who makes the Nationals' playoff roster
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter
- LaRoche: Nats unlikely to bring me back in '15
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1
- Barrett's role expanding with September surge