May 5, 2013, 8:48 PM EDT
Gio Gonzalez survived a shaky first inning to earn a quality start.
Game in a nutshell: The finale of this series and the road trip began in crazy fashion, with Bryce Harper ejected after arguing a check-swing called by third base umpire John Hirschbeck in the top of the first. Gio Gonzalez then gave up a homer on the very first pitch he threw and loaded the bases with nobody out. But Gonzalez settled down and the rest of the Nationals followed suit. Danny Espinosa delivered a big, two-run homer in the fourth, and Tyler Moore added a three-run blast in the eighth. Drew Storen, Tyler Clippard and Rafael Soriano then closed out the victory, ending this road trip with four wins in five days and leaving the Nationals two games over .500 for the first time in more than a week.
Hitting highlight: Once again, just when it looked like he was going to have a nothing day, Tyler Moore suddenly made it all seem worthwhile. Yesterday, he struck out twice with the bases loadedRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 12:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Braves 7:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Hard-hit balls equal hard-luck loss for Nationals
- Fister, Nationals hard-luck losers in pitchers duel
- Asdrubal Cabrera joins Nats after trade, starts at second base
- Nationals send slumping Barrett to AAA
- Asdrubal Cabrera makes his debut
- Nats activate Asdrubal Cabrera, option Aaron Barrett
- MLB Power Rankings: Deadline shakeup in the AL
- Nationals bullpen in surprising rut
- Gio Gonzalez stumbles again in Nats' 10-4 loss to Phillies
- Pitchers' duel becomes battle of bullpens in Nationals 10-4 loss