May 5, 2013, 5:10 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Stephen Strasburg allowed four runs but struck out eight over seven innings.
PITTSBURGH — He wasn’t credited with a quality start. He wasn’t credited with a win. But Stephen Strasburg couldn’t help but emerge from yesterday’s start upbeat about the way he pitched.
Though he served up a pair of two-run homers on poorly located fastballs, Strasburg struck out eight Pirates while walking only one and overall was much more efficient during his seven-inning start than he had been in his previous outings over the last month.
“I’m just happy,” he said. “I obviously gave up a couple homers, but I was able to get through the seventh. I feel like in the past, if I gave up that many runs I usually have over 100 pitches through six. I just tried to do a better job of pounding the strike zone.”
Strasburg did do that, throwing 68 percent of his pitches for strikes (65 of 95), up from his 62 percent rate through his first six starts this season. He also got ahead in the count more, firing strike one to 17 of 28 batters, a 61 percent clip more in line with his career rate.
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- How did Zimmerman fare in first game action in Viera?
- Nationals play for NL East title tonight in Atlanta
- Has Strasburg earned Game 1 start in playoffs?
- Around the NL East: Braves on the verge of elimination
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch
- Strasburg dominates as Nats win 4-2
- Harper latest Nats player to come down with bug
- LaRoche named finalist for Man of Year award
- Zimmerman ready for game action in Viera
- Strasburg tries to exorcise Atlanta demons