May 5, 2013, 5:10 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Stephen Strasburg allowed four runs but struck out eight over seven innings.
PITTSBURGH — He wasn’t credited with a quality start. He wasn’t credited with a win. But Stephen Strasburg couldn’t help but emerge from yesterday’s start upbeat about the way he pitched.
Though he served up a pair of two-run homers on poorly located fastballs, Strasburg struck out eight Pirates while walking only one and overall was much more efficient during his seven-inning start than he had been in his previous outings over the last month.
“I’m just happy,” he said. “I obviously gave up a couple homers, but I was able to get through the seventh. I feel like in the past, if I gave up that many runs I usually have over 100 pitches through six. I just tried to do a better job of pounding the strike zone.”
Strasburg did do that, throwing 68 percent of his pitches for strikes (65 of 95), up from his 62 percent rate through his first six starts this season. He also got ahead in the count more, firing strike one to 17 of 28 batters, a 61 percent clip more in line with his career rate.
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Diamondbacks at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg gives Nats 'what the doctor ordered'
- Strasburg tames Diamondbacks in 8-1 victory
- Gonzalez on the Nats' rotation: 'I want to catch up' (VIDEO)
- Nats' McLouth to have shoulder surgery, out for season
- LaRoche, Desmond and Fister take on the ice bucket (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Nationals go for eighth straight win against Arizona
- State of the Nationals' bullpen: Exhausted
- Around the NL East: Are the Marlins legit contenders?
- LaRoche finally gets to savor first walk-off homer
- Nats beat Diamondbacks in third straight walk-off win