May 5, 2013, 5:10 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Stephen Strasburg allowed four runs but struck out eight over seven innings.
PITTSBURGH — He wasn’t credited with a quality start. He wasn’t credited with a win. But Stephen Strasburg couldn’t help but emerge from yesterday’s start upbeat about the way he pitched.
Though he served up a pair of two-run homers on poorly located fastballs, Strasburg struck out eight Pirates while walking only one and overall was much more efficient during his seven-inning start than he had been in his previous outings over the last month.
“I’m just happy,” he said. “I obviously gave up a couple homers, but I was able to get through the seventh. I feel like in the past, if I gave up that many runs I usually have over 100 pitches through six. I just tried to do a better job of pounding the strike zone.”
Strasburg did do that, throwing 68 percent of his pitches for strikes (65 of 95), up from his 62 percent rate through his first six starts this season. He also got ahead in the count more, firing strike one to 17 of 28 batters, a 61 percent clip more in line with his career rate.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- As Nationals soar, so does dominant Storen
- Roark, Ramos lead Nationals past Cubs 2-1
- Nats pregame music choice irks Phillies, they promise payback
- Roark gets the start for Nats at Wrigley
- State of the Nats: Rolling into Wrigley for Bryant vs. Harper
- Harper showing he can excel at 'the little things'
- Advice from teammates helps Gio get back on track vs. Phillies
- Anthony Rendon to take big step forward in rehab this week
- Strong Gio start secures another series win for Nats
- Nationals aim for another series win against Philly