May 7, 2013, 7:30 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats and Tigers open a two-game series … if the rain stops.
OK, let's cut right to the chase, because I know this is the question everyone is asking: Will they play tonight? The answer: I don't know yet. Obviously, it doesn't look good, with a gigantic mass of rain hovering over the Mid-Atlantic and showing no signs of disintegrating before 7 p.m. And obviously both the Nationals and Tigers have Thursday off, with the Nats staying in town for the weekend and Detroit only making the short trip home to play Friday night. So there's a very easy makeup game solution. But for now, nothing has been announced. I'll let you know as soon as I know. Promise.
If they do play, Jordan Zimmermann will be on the mound for the Nationals, trying to extend his streak of consecutive scoreless innings that already stands at 18. He'll have to do it against the AL's best lineup, though, one that features perhaps the most potent 3-4 combo in baseball in Miguel Cabrera and Prince Fielder. One slight advantage for the Nats: Because this interleague series is taking place in the NL park, the Tigers won't have regular DH Victor Martinez.
Anibal Sanchez, owner of a career 8-0 record and 1.97 ERA against the Nationals, starts for Detroit. He'll face a lineup that isn't expected to include Jayson Werth, still dealing with a tight hamstring that probably wouldn't respond well to a wet field tonight.
Updates — most importantly weather-related ones — to come, so please check back…
DETROIT TIGERS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv, MLB Network (outside D.C. market)
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 89
Weather: Rain, 65 degrees, Wind 11 mph in from RF
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day
- Souza's name crops up in complex trade talks
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo explains trading Detwiler; talks prospects
- Nats announce date pitchers and catchers will report to Viera