May 7, 2013, 7:30 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats and Tigers open a two-game series … if the rain stops.
OK, let's cut right to the chase, because I know this is the question everyone is asking: Will they play tonight? The answer: I don't know yet. Obviously, it doesn't look good, with a gigantic mass of rain hovering over the Mid-Atlantic and showing no signs of disintegrating before 7 p.m. And obviously both the Nationals and Tigers have Thursday off, with the Nats staying in town for the weekend and Detroit only making the short trip home to play Friday night. So there's a very easy makeup game solution. But for now, nothing has been announced. I'll let you know as soon as I know. Promise.
If they do play, Jordan Zimmermann will be on the mound for the Nationals, trying to extend his streak of consecutive scoreless innings that already stands at 18. He'll have to do it against the AL's best lineup, though, one that features perhaps the most potent 3-4 combo in baseball in Miguel Cabrera and Prince Fielder. One slight advantage for the Nats: Because this interleague series is taking place in the NL park, the Tigers won't have regular DH Victor Martinez.
Anibal Sanchez, owner of a career 8-0 record and 1.97 ERA against the Nationals, starts for Detroit. He'll face a lineup that isn't expected to include Jayson Werth, still dealing with a tight hamstring that probably wouldn't respond well to a wet field tonight.
Updates — most importantly weather-related ones — to come, so please check back…
DETROIT TIGERS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv, MLB Network (outside D.C. market)
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 89
Weather: Rain, 65 degrees, Wind 11 mph in from RF
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Matt Harvey expected to make much-awaited return against Nats
- Ankiel starts new chapter as life skills coordinator
- Ian Desmond discusses team expectations and future with Nats
- Eventful BP for Harper, update on Werth in Tuesday's workout
- Desmond, Rendon like what they see from Zimmerman at 1B
- Scherzer to start exhibition opener vs. Mets
- Bryce Harper does a pretty epic videobomb on Anthony Rendon
- ESPN throws shade on Nats' jerseys, calling them among worst in MLB
- On the cusp of majors, Taylor bides his time
- Mets pitcher really, really does not like defensive shifts