May 8, 2013, 7:31 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats and Tigers give it another shot tonight, with much better weather.
Hey, let's try this again. Twenty-four hours after the Nationals and Tigers were supposed to open their two-game series but were "rained" out, they'll be back on the field for another attempt. The forecast is much, much better today, though there still are some pop-up showers out there that could affect things, so keep that in mind if you're coming to the ballpark.
Jordan Zimmermann once again gets a chance to face this potent Detroit lineup. He'll be doing so on six full days of rest, which isn't necessarily a good things for him. Over his career, Zimmermann is 16-8 with a 2.61 ERA when pitching on normal four days' rest but 13-19 with a 4.00 ERA when pitching on extra rest.
The extra day off probably did some good for Bryce Harper, who has now essentially had three days to rest his bruised left side. Jayson Werth, on the other hand, still hasn't been given the green light to return from a tight hamstring, despite the fact the field should be dry tonight.
Updates to come, so please check back…
DETROIT TIGERS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WNEW (99.1 FM), XM 184
Weather: Chance of showers, 66 degrees, Wind 5 mph out to LF
CF Denard Span
SS Ian Desmond
RF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- How much will the Nationals miss LaRoche?
- Report: Yankees tried to trade for Phillies SS Jimmy Rollins
- A reason for each MLB team to be thankful this Thanksgiving
- Who's better right now?
- Point/Counterpoint: Biggest threat in NL East in 2015?
- Nats' Fedde hits milestone in Tommy John recovery
- Charlie Manuel almost returned to baseball as O's hitting coach
- How much money can the Nats spend this winter?
- With Hamels trade rumors, Phillies are staying patient
- MLB postseason shares released, including Nats