May 8, 2013, 7:31 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats and Tigers give it another shot tonight, with much better weather.
Hey, let's try this again. Twenty-four hours after the Nationals and Tigers were supposed to open their two-game series but were "rained" out, they'll be back on the field for another attempt. The forecast is much, much better today, though there still are some pop-up showers out there that could affect things, so keep that in mind if you're coming to the ballpark.
Jordan Zimmermann once again gets a chance to face this potent Detroit lineup. He'll be doing so on six full days of rest, which isn't necessarily a good things for him. Over his career, Zimmermann is 16-8 with a 2.61 ERA when pitching on normal four days' rest but 13-19 with a 4.00 ERA when pitching on extra rest.
The extra day off probably did some good for Bryce Harper, who has now essentially had three days to rest his bruised left side. Jayson Werth, on the other hand, still hasn't been given the green light to return from a tight hamstring, despite the fact the field should be dry tonight.
Updates to come, so please check back…
DETROIT TIGERS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WNEW (99.1 FM), XM 184
Weather: Chance of showers, 66 degrees, Wind 5 mph out to LF
CF Denard Span
SS Ian Desmond
RF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Heyward's 2B keys rally as Cardinals beat Nationals 8-5
- Nationals open pivotal series in St. Louis
- State of the Nats: Cardinals up next; Werth heating up
- Taylor avoids injury scare, returns to lineup with a bang
- Strasburg leaves Nats win over Marlins with injury
- Nats overcome rough start, win 7-4
- Nats look for fourth consecutive series win vs. Marlins
- Fan dies after fall from upper deck at Atlanta Braves game
- Nats gain a rare game on the Mets with win over Marlins
- Zimmermann, Nats bounce back to top Marlins