May 9, 2013, 2:49 AM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Bryce Harper launched his 10th homer of the season in the fifth inning.
Game in a nutshell: It may have been delayed 25 hours by rain, but the opener of this big, interleague series didn't disappoint. Jordan Zimmermann and Anibal Sanchez went toe-to-toe, with Zimmermann out-dueling his right-hnaded counterpart thanks to seven innings of one-run ball. Bryce Harper drove in a pair of runs, one of them on a homer well into the right-field bleachers. Aggressive baserunning by Adam LaRoche — yes, Adam LaRoche — forced Torii Hunter into a throwing error and produced another run. Tyler Clippard fired every bullet he had at the fearsome Tigers lineup during a 34-pitch top of the eighth, somehow escaping without allowing a run. And Rafael Soriano finished it off for his 11th save in 12 tries, giving the Nationals their third straight victory … and first-ever in 20 starts against Sanchez.
Hitting highlight: Harper had been in a bit of a slump over his last eight games (3-for-26) and some of that may have beenRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- The Baseball Show: Time to sign Harper to an extension?
- Mets Matt Harvey may be dealing with 'dead arm'
- As Nationals soar, so does dominant Storen
- Roark, Ramos lead Nationals past Cubs 2-1
- Nats pregame music choice irks Phillies, they promise payback
- Roark gets the start for Nats at Wrigley
- State of the Nats: Rolling into Wrigley for Bryant vs. Harper
- Harper showing he can excel at 'the little things'
- Advice from teammates helps Gio get back on track vs. Phillies
- Anthony Rendon to take big step forward in rehab this week