May 9, 2013, 10:58 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Ryan Zimmerman helped spur the Nationals' early rallies.
Game in a nutshell: In the matinee makeup for Tuesday's rainout, the Nationals stormed out to an early 5-0 lead with a flurry of base hits off the previously unbeaten Doug Fister. That provided some cushion for Dan Haren, who didn't seem to need it early but ultimately benefited from it after he served up a three-run homer in the sixth. That put the pressure on the Nationals' bullpen to close out what turned into a one-run game, and that unit delivered with flying colors. Ryan Mattheus pitched a scoreless seventh, Drew Storen tossed a scoreless eighth and Rafael Soriano got Prince Fielder to fly out to the warning track in center with two outs in the ninth to notch his 12th save in 13 tries. With that, the Nationals pulled off a two-game sweep of Detroit and earned their fourth straight win overall, improving to 19-15.
Hitting highlight: The Nationals wasted no time pouncing on Fister. Five of their first six batters recorded base hits, with DenardRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg placed on the 15-day DL with oblique strain
- For Nats, second half begins with high expectations
- Strasburg exits early in Nationals' 9-3 win
- Strasburg leaves game early due to apparent injury
- Harper on using patriotic bat on the Fourth: "Why not?"
- Nats rolling out special Fourth of July uniforms vs. Giants
- Robinson's seventh-inning homer good enough for 2-1 win
- Gonzalez heads to the mound to start series vs. Giants
- Williams got Division Series out of mind quickly
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats, Astros making a push