May 9, 2013, 10:58 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Ryan Zimmerman helped spur the Nationals' early rallies.
Game in a nutshell: In the matinee makeup for Tuesday's rainout, the Nationals stormed out to an early 5-0 lead with a flurry of base hits off the previously unbeaten Doug Fister. That provided some cushion for Dan Haren, who didn't seem to need it early but ultimately benefited from it after he served up a three-run homer in the sixth. That put the pressure on the Nationals' bullpen to close out what turned into a one-run game, and that unit delivered with flying colors. Ryan Mattheus pitched a scoreless seventh, Drew Storen tossed a scoreless eighth and Rafael Soriano got Prince Fielder to fly out to the warning track in center with two outs in the ninth to notch his 12th save in 13 tries. With that, the Nationals pulled off a two-game sweep of Detroit and earned their fourth straight win overall, improving to 19-15.
Hitting highlight: The Nationals wasted no time pouncing on Fister. Five of their first six batters recorded base hits, with DenardRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?