May 9, 2013, 5:01 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
The Nationals are averaging 31,994 fans per game this season.
Throughout their lean years, the Nationals always insisted they would get the attendance they deserved, suggesting wins on the field would naturally translate into bodies in seats.
Six weeks into their first season as defending NL East champs, their prophecy is coming true. The Nationals have enjoyed the largest increase in attendance of any Major League Baseball franchise so far in 2013, drawing an average of 6,577 more fans per game than they drew at this same point last year.
Average attendance through the first 17 home games at Nationals Park is 31,994, a substantial increase from last year's average of 25,417 through the same number of games.
That increase outranks any other MLB club to date, just ahead of the Blue Jays, who are drawing 6,302 more fans per game so farRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Nationals Stock Watch: Strasburg's road struggles continue
- Aaron Barrett wins patriotic staring contest before Nats-Rockies game
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies