May 9, 2013, 5:01 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
The Nationals are averaging 31,994 fans per game this season.
Throughout their lean years, the Nationals always insisted they would get the attendance they deserved, suggesting wins on the field would naturally translate into bodies in seats.
Six weeks into their first season as defending NL East champs, their prophecy is coming true. The Nationals have enjoyed the largest increase in attendance of any Major League Baseball franchise so far in 2013, drawing an average of 6,577 more fans per game than they drew at this same point last year.
Average attendance through the first 17 home games at Nationals Park is 31,994, a substantial increase from last year's average of 25,417 through the same number of games.
That increase outranks any other MLB club to date, just ahead of the Blue Jays, who are drawing 6,302 more fans per game so farRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return
- Span tabs Nats teammate & rival to do ice bucket challenge
- Williams debates keeping streak alive or long term health
- VIDEO: Bryce Harper's hair is on fire and he plays the ukulele
- Asdrubal Cabrera fitting in with Nats in first few weeks since trade
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett will 'probably' retire after this season