May 9, 2013, 5:07 AM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Jordan Zimmermann beat the Tigers to earn his NL-leading sixth win.
From his position at first base, Adam LaRoche often gets an unfiltered reaction from opposing hitters to the man they’re facing on any particular night. What LaRoche was hearing from the handful of Detroit Tigers who reached base Wednesday night against Jordan Zimmermann was enough to convince him the Nationals’ young right-hander legitimately belongs in conversation with baseball’s very best pitchers right now.
“Oh man, it’s incredible,” LaRoche said. “When you’ve got the other team coming down talking about how nasty he is and how they’ve all been keeping up and know how good of a pitcher he his, it’s a pretty good sign.”
It’s also a fairly good sign when that pitcher shuts down three of the sport’s most fearsome lineups in succession, capped by this dismantling of the Tigers during a 3-1 victory that was as impressive as any the Nationals have strung together so far this season.
“I don’t think he’s scared of anybody,” LaRoche said. “I don’t think he cares who’s hitting. He’s pounding the zone and working ahead, sticking with his plan. It continues to pay off.”
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats' defensive mistakes add up in loss to Cardinals
- Nats lose 8-0 to Cardinals on Wainwright's two-hitter
- Span scores three runs for Hagerstown in minor league rehab game
- Doug Fister pitches in Viera, timetable for return set
- Bryce Harper back in Nats’ lineup to face Cardinals
- Nats return home to face Wainwright, Cardinals
- MLB Power Rankings: Brewers making noise
- Nationals dominating opponents late in games
- Instant analysis: Nats 6, Marlins 3
- Nationals face dominant Fernandez in series finale