May 9, 2013, 5:07 AM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Jordan Zimmermann beat the Tigers to earn his NL-leading sixth win.
From his position at first base, Adam LaRoche often gets an unfiltered reaction from opposing hitters to the man they’re facing on any particular night. What LaRoche was hearing from the handful of Detroit Tigers who reached base Wednesday night against Jordan Zimmermann was enough to convince him the Nationals’ young right-hander legitimately belongs in conversation with baseball’s very best pitchers right now.
“Oh man, it’s incredible,” LaRoche said. “When you’ve got the other team coming down talking about how nasty he is and how they’ve all been keeping up and know how good of a pitcher he his, it’s a pretty good sign.”
It’s also a fairly good sign when that pitcher shuts down three of the sport’s most fearsome lineups in succession, capped by this dismantling of the Tigers during a 3-1 victory that was as impressive as any the Nationals have strung together so far this season.
“I don’t think he’s scared of anybody,” LaRoche said. “I don’t think he cares who’s hitting. He’s pounding the zone and working ahead, sticking with his plan. It continues to pay off.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals hang on to beat Reds 4-2
- Instant analysis: Reds 1, Nationals 0
- Roark, Nats win 4-1, hand Reds seventh-straight loss
- Denard Span leading the way for Nats in July
- Roark, Nats look to bounce back in Game 100 of 2014 season
- The Baseball Show: Should the Nats make a trade? (VIDEO)
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats trending up after big week
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Nationals Stock Watch: Strasburg's road struggles continue