May 11, 2013, 4:39 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stephen Strasburg faces Edwin Jackson today at Nationals Park.
The initial forecast for this afternoon didn't look so great, but things seem to be getting much better now. The tarp has been rolled off the infield, the sky is getting lighter and it appears the heavy rain will stay to our north, with the only real threat coming after 6 p.m. So it certainly looks like the Nats and Cubs will be able to get this game started on-time. (Full disclaimer: If my "expert" forecast is proven wrong, you're not allowed to hold it against me.)
Stephen Strasburg takes the mound for the Nationals, having made progress in his last start at Pittsburgh but still looking for his first win since Opening Day. He'll go up against a familiar face: Edwin Jackson, still looking for his first win with Chicago.
We're still waiting for Davey Johnson to post his lineup, but Bryce Harper is expected to be back after missing last night's game following a procedure to remove an ingrown toenail. Jayson Werth, meanwhile, should be officially placed on the 15-day DL any moment now, with Eury Perez recalled from Class AAA Syracuse. [UPDATE AT 1:35 P.M. — Harper actually isn't starting today, his toe still not completely healed. So Davey is going with his same lineup as last night, with Wilson Ramos catching instead of Kurt Suzuki.]
Updates to come…
CHICAGO CUBS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 4:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, Ch. 9, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 186
Weather: Late rain, 75 degrees, Wind 9 mph out to CF
CF Denard Span
RF Roger Bernadina
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Braves fear both Medlen and Beachy need Tommy John
- Nats' Jordan takes on fearsome Tigers lineup
- Mets Wheeler admits it's hard not to think about 2015
- The Baseball Show: How good will Bryce Harper be in 2014?
- Podcast: Baseball in The District - Sammy Solis talks spring
- Harper, Detwiler lead Nationals against Mets
- Purke, Taylor among latest round of Nats cuts
- Has Jimmy Rollins been benched in Philly?
- Roark gives up 3 runs in Nats loss
- Nationals split up to face Astros, Braves