May 11, 2013, 6:29 PM EDT
Bryce Harper watches last night’s game from the dugout.
His big toe still in pain after a procedure yesterday to remove an ingrown toenail, Bryce Harper is once again out of the Nationals’ starting lineup for this afternoon’s game against the Cubs.
Harper hoped to return today after missing the series opener, but his toe hasn’t healed quite enough yet.
“Harp’s still a little tender, and he wanted to wait until he hit on the field,” manager Davey Johnson said. “If it’s that tender, I’m not starting him. So he’s not in the lineup.”
With Harper and Jayson Werth (who was officially placed on the 15-day disabled list today) sidelined, Johnson is forced to again cobble together a makeshift outfield that includes Tyler Moore in left field and Roger Bernadina in right field flanking Denard Span.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Stars shine in Nats' 9th straight series win
- Harper, Scherzer power Nationals past Cubs
- One more category Bryce Harper leads the NL in
- Some good, some really ugly in Nats loss
- Cubs' farm team trolls Nats, Wizards after walk-off win
- Around the NL East: Another week of drama for the Marlins
- Nationals lose tough one on walk-off vs. Cubs
- Bryce Harper still doesn't think he's MLB's best
- Nats go for 2 in a row at Wrigley
- Marlins players fail to show up at charity event