May 11, 2013, 6:29 PM EDT
Bryce Harper watches last night’s game from the dugout.
His big toe still in pain after a procedure yesterday to remove an ingrown toenail, Bryce Harper is once again out of the Nationals’ starting lineup for this afternoon’s game against the Cubs.
Harper hoped to return today after missing the series opener, but his toe hasn’t healed quite enough yet.
“Harp’s still a little tender, and he wanted to wait until he hit on the field,” manager Davey Johnson said. “If it’s that tender, I’m not starting him. So he’s not in the lineup.”
With Harper and Jayson Werth (who was officially placed on the 15-day disabled list today) sidelined, Johnson is forced to again cobble together a makeshift outfield that includes Tyler Moore in left field and Roger Bernadina in right field flanking Denard Span.
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?